The Student Room Group

Emotionally abusive father and my mother is still nice to him

Well, my father has been emotionally abusive to me pretty much all my life, and my mother knows about this, but she's still being really nice to him. He ruined my Christmas last year and I had to go and eat my Christmas dinner by myself, but then he 'apologised'. My mum says that he's 'changed', but he hasn't because he's still been doing little things to try and wind me up.

It feels like my mother doesn't care that he's mean to me. What do I do? :frown:
I get the feeling your mum just wants to keep peace. Does he treat her like this? Do you mind me asking how old you are OP?
Reply 2
Original post by TruetoMyself
I get the feeling your mum just wants to keep peace. Does he treat her like this? Do you mind me asking how old you are OP?

She's not keeping peace because I'm absolutely miserable, while he's all smiley and happy because he's got away with it. Again. I don't know how he treats her really. He does try to make her feel stupid once in a while, but I've never witnessed him treating her like he treats me. I'm 17.
Original post by Anonymous
She's not keeping peace because I'm absolutely miserable, while he's all smiley and happy because he's got away with it. Again. I don't know how he treats her really. He does try to make her feel stupid once in a while, but I've never witnessed him treating her like he treats me. I'm 17.

Mmmm Ok. I have been in a similiar situation with my dad. The huge difference being that my mum is the absolute opposite of what your mum seems like (no offence intended)......meaning any criticism/emotional abuse towards me or my sibilings, and my angel of a mum would defend and fight back like no mans business....even if he started verbally abusing her. Im hugely surprised your mum is like this.

I really dont know what to suggest.....you really need someone at your age, apart from talking to your mum? Though in your position I would genuinely be looking to move out as soon as possible.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Mmmm Ok. I have been in a similiar situation with my dad. The huge difference being that my mum is the absolute opposite of what your mum seems like (no offence intended)......meaning any criticism/emotional abuse towards me or my sibilings, and my angel of a mum would defend and fight back like no mans business....even if he started verbally abusing her. Im hugely surprised your mum is like this.

I really dont know what to suggest.....you really need someone at your age, apart from talking to your mum? Though in your position I would genuinely be looking to move out as soon as possible.

Hmm, well. I'm questioning whether she cares that much. I mean, most normal parents would basically scream at someone who attempted to psychologically screw up their child, right?

Also, I have nowhere to go. I've no family to speak of, I have one friend from school who I only ever speak to online and that's it. It do wonder sometimes if everyone considers it a burden for me to even be alive.

Quick Reply

Latest