The Student Room Group

Do I pass as male?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by crazylemon
You are taller than me at a the massive hight of 5'6 so don't worry about hight :P

I feel mean saying this, but I love it when I'm taller than cis males, just because it happens SO OFTEN :tongue:

TSR has been better recently on those threads I have found (not that I frequent many) although your total surprise that I was a medic and didn't make silly assumptions from the off is slightly depressing.

I do apologise. Sadly, however, I am yet to have decent experiences with medical professionals on the whole. Maybe there's a bit in-between medical school and practising as a doctor that turns previously-decent human beings into jaded miseries :holmes:
Original post by kerily
I feel mean saying this, but I love it when I'm taller than cis males, just because it happens SO OFTEN :tongue:

I do apologise. Sadly, however, I am yet to have decent experiences with medical professionals on the whole. Maybe there's a bit in-between medical school and practising as a doctor that turns previously-decent human beings into jaded miseries :holmes:

Lol I know ones shorter than me :tongue:

There is no need to apologise. I can't imagine many people taking it productively sadly :frown:
Reply 182
In my opinion you do. You just look like a nice looking young man c:
Transsexual people call it gender.. so I have called it 'gender' in the paragraph. Transsexuals talk about their gender, or gender identity, and how it doesn't match up with their sex.
This 'gender' is not anything to do with social roles. Perhaps they really need to be calling it something else. It is this 'gender' that Psyk is talking about, I think. What I am calling the sex of the brain.

You and Psyk's conversation reads to me like this:
Person 1: So me and her were annoying each other so much, that eventually we had a massive row.
Person 2: I know what you mean, sailing calms my nerves too.
Reply 184
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
If I noticed you I'd know 100% you're male..

Humans have evolved over thousands of years, were smart even if you had PS done all over your face we would still know

EDIT - I realized my mistake, and I'm suprised, how is that possible, OP I think you're lying.

:P You definitely fooled this guy! But I do think you could pass quite easily
If you talk to a transsexual, most of them will be binary. Lets say you have a transwoman. They will, whilst living a malerole, even if they are highly masculine thoughts and behaviour, describe their gender as female. Unless we're talking to very different groups of transsexuals.. This is the definition of gender that I've heard them using. Binary transsexuals will describe themselves as changing their sex to match their gender - their gender is opposite to their sex.

This is not related to gender as in behavioural and social roles.
I'd say you pass a male, although a young looking one (might be a good or a bad thing, depends on what you want)
By the way, I will point out that before reading through this thread I did not know about the proper meaning of gender. So when you said ages ago about how John Money defined it, I changed my view from 'gender is normally binary' to 'there is something else that is normally binary to male or female, gender is not normally binary because it refers to social roles'. Thanks for the education :biggrin:

"They've skewed the meaning a little".
Agreed - it's being used wrongly by those who say what I've said.

A transsexual is a person who is male, but with a female sex. Or female, but with a male sex.
They call it a male gender, but with a female sex, or female gender, but with a male sex. As gender means social roles, gender is the wrong word! There are more than two genders as you say, and a person can function quite fine with their gender not being stereotypical within a society for their sex.

So what makes a transman male, despite their female sex, is not gender. It is something else. And this something means that it is not possible to function when this does not match their sex.
Original post by AlexOlney
No one would notice if they were to see you in the street, but the most noticeably feminine part of your face is your brow. Men's brows protrude much further than women's, and without plastic surgery it can't really be altered.

Still, you look a hell of a lot more masculine than a lot of 'men' these days.

I'm partly Japanese, and I don't have a brow ridge at all (not uncommon in Japan - I'm only like 1/16 Japanese but it seems to have an effect). But I would never be mistaken for the opposite gender. I still have a masculine/dominant look - basically this is what looking like a guy is - without being thuggish.
Ignoring the debate above me (sorry), I might add, there are loads of masculine and feminine features, and everyone has some. Avril Lavigne probably has more masculine browbones than me. But in 9/10 possible features, I am probably more masculine than her, which makes me a guy and her a girl.

The brow is easily noticeable if you inspect closely. It kind of sticks out. But there are others. I'm not saying I know exactly what they are, but they do exist. The OP just looks... pretty. Having a heavy brow would not change that very much.
yes
Original post by lightburns
By the way, I will point out that before reading through this thread I did not know about the proper meaning of gender. So when you said ages ago about how John Money defined it, I changed my view from 'gender is normally binary' to 'there is something else that is normally binary to male or female, gender is not normally binary because it refers to social roles'. Thanks for the education :biggrin:

"They've skewed the meaning a little".
Agreed - it's being used wrongly by those who say what I've said.

A transsexual is a person who is male, but with a female sex. Or female, but with a male sex.
They call it a male gender, but with a female sex, or female gender, but with a male sex. As gender means social roles, gender is the wrong word! There are more than two genders as you say, and a person can function quite fine with their gender not being stereotypical within a society for their sex.

So what makes a transman male, despite their female sex, is not gender. It is something else. And this something means that it is not possible to function when this does not match their sex.

Or you could just define your terms. [If you have done this, you have done so terribly.]

If you repeatedly use two terms in a manner that is grammatically symmetric, i.e. use them in a sentence in a manner in which the two terms could be interchanged without changing the structure of the sentence, you could talk for a thousand years and noone will ever be the wiser.

For example, if you just harp on and on about how Jack is not John, and John is not Jack, that doesn't actually leave us any the more enlightened as to the nature of John or Jack.
(edited 12 years ago)
You definitely look male - and better looking than average, too. :tongue:
Original post by Raiden10
Or you could just define your terms. [If you have done this, you have done so terribly.]

If you repeatedly use two terms in a manner that is grammatically symmetric, i.e. use them in a sentence in a manner in which the two terms could be interchanged without changing the structure of the sentence, you could talk for a thousand years and noone will ever be the wiser.

For example, if you just harp on and on about how Jack is not John, and John is not Jack, that doesn't actually leave us any the more enlightened as to the nature of John or Jack.

Don't know how far up the conversation you have seen, I have been commenting on NYU2012 and Psyk for quite a number of posts.

Up until recently I have just been not using the word 'gender' at all to prevent confusion. The problem was that NYU2012 was using gender to mean 'behavioural roles' and Psyk was using gender to mean 'sex of the brain'.

Then they were having an argument about whether gender is binary. Well, NYU2012's 'gender' is not binary, Psyk's 'gender' is binary. So in my mind, their discussion was never going to resolve itself because they were talking about completely unrelated things, just both labelled as 'gender'.

If 'gender' originally referred to behavioural roles, it creates confusion to call the normally binary brain sex as 'gender' as well, and these arguments will just become more common. Best to keep 'gender' as defining what it originally did.

Here's the post where I define things
(edited 12 years ago)
do u have a winni?
Reply 195
Original post by lightburns

Then they were having an argument about whether gender is binary. Well, NYU2012's 'gender' is not binary, Psyk's 'gender' is binary. So in my mind, their discussion was never going to resolve itself because they were talking about completely unrelated things, just both labelled as 'gender'.

I didn't mean to imply it's strictly binary, just that it usually is i.e. most people identify as male or female. That's not to say there isn't a minority who can't be classified like that.

Perhaps gender is the wrong word. That's the word your average layman would use for it, but maybe there is a more specific academic definition of it. Calling it brain sex makes sense.
well basically the pictures are **** qulaity so you cannot really see..plus we need to see you body like the whol eof you to make a clear judgment..however with those pictures yes you do look lik e a man
Original post by Psyk
I didn't mean to imply it's strictly binary, just that it usually is i.e. most people identify as male or female. That's not to say there isn't a minority who can't be classified like that.

Perhaps gender is the wrong word. That's the word your average layman would use for it, but maybe there is a more specific academic definition of it. Calling it brain sex makes sense.

Gender is what everyone calls it, but that does create problems. Another problem caused by it is that cispeople will often say something along the lines of "just because you've got a male gender doesn't mean you're a guy, you're just a tomboy." No! When a transman says "I have a male gender, that is why I am transitioning", they mean it in a binary brain sense, this has nothing to do with masculinity. :frown:
Reply 198
Just take steroids and bulk up more.
So it's just a layman thing using the term to mean that. And in my mind should therefore be avoided, so I will from now on (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending