The Student Room Group

Do I pass as male?

Scroll to see replies

If you have to ask this question, then no.
Reply 101
Original post by Nynyflower
You pass really well to me! I think it's great trans people are beginning to post openly on these forums, the only way to get rid of ignorance is to educate.

Yeah that is the reason why I am so open about it online. I try to educate people whenever I have the chance.
Reply 102
Yes of course. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Original post by Jaidenh
Do fellas say that about other fellas?

I do... :innocent:
Original post by kerily
Depends where you live. I definitely think you look male (but then I subscribe to the radical notion that someone is whatever gender they define themselves as :ahee:) but in a diverse area/a gay club, you may be read as a butch lesbian. You may also not. But I know a few transguys who are on T and have stubble who have been read as butch lesbians. That said, you may not frequent gay clubs or diverse areas, so...

Height also plays into it (although I was served by a cisgender man in Superdrug the other day who was under 5'0 tall!), as does dress sense, and how effective your binding method is. Your voice will also have an effect. If it's naturally low/you have a permanent cold, then you'll be fine, but I've had a lot of awkward occasions where I've actually passed as male until I've opened my mouth (I'm quite high-pitched).

(Have you tried shaving the hair on your face even though obviously it's still fine and light? This can make it grow in a bit darker and thicker, giving you a tiny bit of stubble to the feel - I'd recommend it if you're not on T yet.)

That all said, it is quite encouraging that TSR mostly seems to think you look pretty male.

Not true.
Reply 105
Original post by JohnC2211
Not true.

Normal, unshaved 'peach fuzz' has a tapered end; shaving it off makes the end blunt and square when it regrows, meaning that it can appear darker. Plus while it may not appear darker for everyone, it does feel more stubble-like to the touch.

(I'd link to Wikipedia for the first point, but... :colonhash:)
Original post by NightFire411
Here is my transition slideshow video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PvPkVaEX5E&feature=g-upl&context=G2488e2aAUAAAAAAAIAA

Since then I have cut my hair even shorter and now wear it in a fohawk

OMG :eek: you still even look great as a girl :colondollar: do you have spanish ancestry????
Original post by kerily
Normal, unshaved 'peach fuzz' has a tapered end; shaving it off makes the end blunt and square when it regrows, meaning that it can appear darker. Plus while it may not appear darker for everyone, it does feel more stubble-like to the touch.

(I'd link to Wikipedia for the first point, but... :colonhash:)

Yes, but the follicle which contains all the relevant materials for growth is located beneath the skin. So unless you're doing some VERY close shaving then it is simply a myth that shaving causes the hair to grow darker/thicker.
Reply 108
No. You don't.
a very good looking male :smile:
Original post by veggie4life
a very good looking male :smile:

I agree

ps. I also have the same q to ask about myself but I'm not as brave when it comes to hearing opinions about that :tongue:

welldone for having the balls to, OP mate :smile:
Original post by Cool Cat
I agree

ps. I also have the same q to ask about myself but I'm not as brave when it comes to hearing opinions about that :tongue:

welldone for having the balls to, OP mate :smile:

That's a shame...

Spoiler

Original post by Tortious
That's a shame...

Spoiler

that's made my day thanks mate

Spoiler

Reply 113
You do pass, very well in fact.

Just a note: a trans* friend of mine recently removed his lip piercing, and found that he was misread as butch far less without it. I'm not sure why, but just as an aside.
I'd say you looked like an effeminate male as you still have quite delicate features though I'd still think you were a young boy with a baby face.
Reply 115
I think you pass really well, still some feminine features (not a bad thing though) but I certainly would never guess if I didn't know and met you in real life.

that's made my day thanks mate

Spoiler

And I agree with Tortious you pass quite well too. :smile:
Reply 116
Original post by edd360
So wait am I supposed to find you attractive or not?

It's still essentially a girl so fair game.
Reply 117

Just looked through my profile, and dear Lord, I am so jealous right now :tongue: You pass substantially better than I do. Not that that's hard :ahee:

I'm tempted to post photos to see what people think, but I'm conscious that they'd probably be quite mean (this is TSR, after all) and I'm also conscious that I look androgynous at best. :emo:
Reply 118
Original post by NightFire411
Yeah that is the reason why I am so open about it online. I try to educate people whenever I have the chance.

Why do people need to be 'educated'?
Reply 119
Original post by ed-
Why do people need to be 'educated'?

Because transsexualism has a stigma attached to it in mainstream society. Most people only understand it from a flawed, surface level understanding. That is why we see so much hate and prejudice towards trans people. I truely believe [unless the person is just an arse to begin with] that if people were more educated about it...there would be much less prejudice in today's society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending