The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
can somebody please tell me how to do mixed exercise 4d Q. 17 a.) in the studen book? I don't get it :/
Reply 41
Original post by Laraaa
can somebody please tell me how to do mixed exercise 4d Q. 17 a.) in the studen book? I don't get it :/

Wat book is it? or just post question here.
Original post by Laraaa

i ve put an attachment with my workings hope it helps
Reply 43
Original post by anjelofernando
i ve put an attachment with my workings hope it helps

ahh okay that makes sense. thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Arsey
yes to all

How is braking force = thrust?! Braking force PRODUCES/leads to a thrust in the rigid tow- bar but they are two individual things. The thrust would be pushing the trailer <--- in that direction and pushing the car in that ----> direction.
So in a diagram for the resistance to motion of a car it would be the thrust pushing the car forward and the braking force opposing the thrust.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Is there ANY particular questions that anyone is having difficulty with that they may want to share? And has anyone done the Solomon papers?
Reply 46
Original post by LegendX
Is there ANY particular questions that anyone is having difficulty with that they may want to share? And has anyone done the Solomon papers?

i done most of the solomon papers. The questions i think have prepared me better. But how does wind affect a model?
when there is braking force which creates thrust do we remove Tension and replace it with thrust but acting in opposite directions of tension?
where can i get a copy of the formula booklet for maths
Original post by anjelofernando
where can i get a copy of the formula booklet for maths

The booklet is irrelevant for this particular module - no formulae given for M1.
Reply 50
What 3 types of graphs do we need to know?
I know
Acceleration one
Speed time graph
What's the last one?
Reply 51
Original post by POWW!
What 3 types of graphs do we need to know?
I know
Acceleration one
Speed time graph
What's the last one?

Distance, never been asked

Velocity, has been asked.
Reply 52
Original post by snow leopard
The booklet is irrelevant for this particular module - no formulae given for M1.

Cosine rule has been needed before, that's in the booklet. And Quadratic formula has been needed, not in the book.

http://qdoic-mathematics.wikispaces.com/file/view/N38210A-GCE-Mathematical-Formulae-Statistical-Tables.pdf
Reply 53
Original post by Arsey
Distance, never been asked

Velocity, has been asked.

The book I have for M1 says we need to know 3:
Speed time graph
Velocity time graph
Displacement time graph

Is the velocity time graph the same as acceleration time graph and distance time graph is the same as displacement time graph?
Reply 54
Original post by Mr.cool
i done most of the solomon papers. The questions i think have prepared me better. But how does wind affect a model?

For wind, i think you're saying that theres drag in the air so the acceleration wouldnt be constant etc.
Bt, did you manage to do the hard SUVAT question of when a person is throwing two stones into the river, and both of the stones hit the water @ the same time? If so post ur solution.
Reply 55
For questions on an inclined plane for example, if we get a long equation with an unknown value, would i loose marks if i just plug the equation into to my calculator and letting it solve it, without expanding the working out.?
Reply 56
Original post by destruction
when there is braking force which creates thrust do we remove Tension and replace it with thrust but acting in opposite directions of tension?

yep
Reply 57
I hope i dont resit this in june".......:frown:
Original post by 101101
For questions on an inclined plane for example, if we get a long equation with an unknown value, would i loose marks if i just plug the equation into to my calculator and letting it solve it, without expanding the working out.?

Why not just use the quadratic formula?
Reply 59
Original post by LegendX
How is braking force = thrust?! Braking force PRODUCES/leads to a thrust in the rigid tow- bar but they are two individual things. The thrust would be pushing the trailer <--- in that direction and pushing the car in that ----> direction.
So in a diagram for the resistance to motion of a car it would be the thrust pushing the car forward and the braking force opposing the thrust.

don't over complicate it....

accelerating - tension, tensions point towards the middle

decelerating - thrusts, pointing away from each other, pointing to the objects

tension is a pulling force, that can exist in rigid and non-rigid connectors; so as a car accelerates it pulls the trailer along...

thrust is a pushing force, that can only exist in rigid connectors; so as the car breaks it pushes the trailer to slow it down.

ignoring, other forces, wind, friction, Newton's first law tells us that the trailer will continue at constant speed unless a force acts upon it; so when the car breaks, unless it exerts a force onto the trailer (THRUST) to slow it down, the trailer will smash into the back of the car, potentially causing death and destruction...

moral of the story is, if you are towing something use a tow bar and not a rope, it's safer.

Latest

Trending

Trending