Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Canada really the place to be?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fellowjoe)
    Really? I often hear the opposite, all about how unfriendly and cold Vancouverites can be, and how, apart from its natural beauty, Vancouver has nothing much to offer.
    Really?

I've been thirteen times, and I've never met someone there I didn't like. Now, granted a lot of people I've met there have been mountain bikers from other Nations, but the staff at the hotels, the people in the bars and folk around the area have always been really rather pleasant, friendly and chatty.

I mean, I could just be striking it lucky, but to go thirteen times and not meet a single person who was any less welcoming or friendly then the rest I met can't be a coincidence.

Its natural beauty is its key element for most. For me its the fact there's X-hundred mountain biking trails, and I've got lots of friends out there who ride with. But it would be a lovely place to work. I would want to visit it just to see the area, working there with it on your door step would be quite enjoyable.

Its not much of a change here, as I live in the Lake District and I'm surrounded by mountains, fells, lakes and forests all the time. But its quite a surreal area and I've thoroughly enjoyed every moment I've been there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive been to Vancouver, Canada 4 times, in 2000, 2001, 2007 and 2008 and i love it! im 18 btw pretty much all my Dads side family lives there, its waaaaay better than the UK no doubt, i'd move over there anyday! people are so much friendler

ive been to Whistler, Surrey and Victoria (All in the British Columbia State) and Crossed the border into the U.S; Seattle + Washington.

Summer Time its extremely warm, i remember one time when i went i had to take 2/3 showers a day! Never been in winter but im assuming its real cold.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the weather generally like? For some reason I always imagine it to be really cold and dark - but I think that's because when I was younger I played a game where a level was in Canada and it was set in the dark with lots of snow. Weird..
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pwn4g3_P13)
    Not true. they've been actively recruiting medical professionals from the uk and europe
    Erm, not really. I study medicine and have explored where to work as an IMG.

Even if your a Canadian citizen and an IMG your chances are dismal at getting a job in Canada.

I'm talking about doctor here, not some "healthcare professional".

CaRMS requires you to be a Canadian citizen/PR before entering anyway so nationality isn't the issue. 298/1565 IMGs got a residency in the first iteration, mostly in FM. In the second iteration, only 85 IMGs got a residency, again mostly in FM. Pretty dire. It is essentially impossible to do a residency as an IMG in Canada.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fellowjoe)
    Yeah i get where you're coming from; it sucks when your birthday reminds you of something unpleasant. Well, you can always celebrate in advance though! haha

You like only the food and scenery there? What about its nightlife and entertainment? I often heard people lamenting that it is a bland and boring city with hardly any nightlife and only for outdoorsy and sporty people, is it true?

Actually i would really love to go to McGill in a heartbeat but the thought of having to speak fluent French kinda ticks me off. I mean, its probably true that Montreal is a bilingual city but i guess not speaking good French would mean missing out a lot on what the city has to offer.

Right now, i'm not even sure if its a good idea going there instead of UBC.
    Depends what kind of nightlife you're after. Personally I think it's pretty crap and it's unbelievable expensive. Almost all the clubs are the same when it comes to music and style. I usually only go to like concerts at clubs if anything.

I think it's really boring since I was born and raised there. I've done everything multiple of times and I just want to venture out.

I've got a friend at Mcgill and he doesn't speak any french but it hasn't been a ******* for him. Many people can speak English in Quebec.

(Original post by AkaJetson)
    What's the weather generally like? For some reason I always imagine it to be really cold and dark - but I think that's because when I was younger I played a game where a level was in Canada and it was set in the dark with lots of snow. Weird..
    Depends where you are but in Vancouver the winters are usually only around 0°C and it has probably the most mild weather of the whole country. In the summer it gets somewhat hot at around 25 - 30°C. The rest of Canada like Toronto and Montreal get much colder in the winter and hotter in the summer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quality of life in Canada >>>>>> Quality of life in UK

People are a lot more friendly, weather is fantastic (although plenty of snow in winter, interpret that as you wish), houses at a fraction of the price it costs here which are MUCH nicer and generally larger (due to land prices and what-not), cheaper electrical goods in general, and much better for owning a car due to much cheaper insurance, wide open roads, MUCH cheaper fuel prices, less traffic (usually) and roads that are actually smooth unlike the war-torn tarmac we call "roads" here (the f*ck do we pay road tax for??)...all without speed cameras and speed humps which the UK abuse as lazy regulation of speed.

I know that last point of car ownership is a bit random, but me being a car fan it's a big point to me. Owning a car in the UK is just a big slap in the face.

I mean for a small 3 bedroom terraced house in the suburbs of London, which is worth around 300-400k, you could swap it for a huge 4-5 bedroom detached house over in Canada, complete with a large lawn, garden and garage. That's the kind of house pricing I'm talking about.

I for one am planning to move to Canada once I start earning and save some money. This country does nothing but p*ss me off constantly. The only thing I like about living here is the great education system and schools, the NHS and London transport. However once I've finished my studies, what reason do I have to stay in this sh*thole? I don't mind paying private healthcare in exchange for a better quality of life, and who needs public transport when I can actually drive my car without hitting traffic, roadworks which never seem to get done, potholes, and all without being shamelessly robbed by the government and insurance companies.

I'm probably gonna get neg repped by all those who support Britain no matter what because they're proud of their heritage, their country or whatever, but go ahead this is my opinion.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkaJetson)
    Freezing in winter. Baking hot in summer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ohhhhhhhhh caaaaaaaaaaanadaaaaaaaaaa
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confused101)
    Quality of life in Canada >>>>>> Quality of life in UK

People are a lot more friendly, weather is fantastic (although plenty of snow in winter, interpret that as you wish), houses at a fraction of the price it costs here which are MUCH nicer and generally larger (due to land prices and what-not), cheaper electrical goods in general, and much better for owning a car due to much cheaper insurance, wide open roads, MUCH cheaper fuel prices, less traffic (usually) and roads that are actually smooth unlike the war-torn tarmac we call "roads" here (the f*ck do we pay road tax for??)...all without speed cameras and speed humps which the UK abuse as lazy regulation of speed.

I know that last point of car ownership is a bit random, but me being a car fan it's a big point to me. Owning a car in the UK is just a big slap in the face.

I mean for a small 3 bedroom terraced house in the suburbs of London, which is worth around 300-400k, you could swap it for a huge 4-5 bedroom detached house over in Canada, complete with a large lawn, garden and garage. That's the kind of house pricing I'm talking about.

I for one am planning to move to Canada once I start earning and save some money. This country does nothing but p*ss me off constantly. The only thing I like about living here is the great education system and schools, the NHS and London transport. However once I've finished my studies, what reason do I have to stay in this sh*thole? I don't mind paying private healthcare in exchange for a better quality of life, and who needs public transport when I can actually drive my car without hitting traffic, roadworks which never seem to get done, potholes, and all without being shamelessly robbed by the government and insurance companies.

I'm probably gonna get neg repped by all those who support Britain no matter what because they're proud of their heritage, their country or whatever, but go ahead this is my opinion.
    Depends where you plan on going in Canada but if you're going to Vancouver it would cost more than that to get a house with 4-5 rooms, etc. My house sort of fits that description and it was much more than that if converted into pounds and I live about 30 minutes drive from the city.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to live there.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)

I thought that was England before I saw the maple leafs and hockey jerseys .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Erm, not really. I study medicine and have explored where to work as an IMG.

Even if your a Canadian citizen and an IMG your chances are dismal at getting a job in Canada.

I'm talking about doctor here, not some "healthcare professional".

CaRMS requires you to be a Canadian citizen/PR before entering anyway so nationality isn't the issue. 298/1565 IMGs got a residency in the first iteration, mostly in FM. In the second iteration, only 85 IMGs got a residency, again mostly in FM. Pretty dire. It is essentially impossible to do a residency as an IMG in Canada.
    Forgive me for dare meddling with a med student :rolleyes:

The Canadian health system will definitely be 5,800 doctors short and probably 10,400 doctors short by 2010, according to the chief executive of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. Canadian immigration, as well as increased medical school enrolment, is needed to address what Dr Andrew Padmos describes as the biggest issue affecting Canadian health care today.

Dr Padmos was speaking at a national conference on Friday and the Edmonton Sun newspaper followed his call for faster vetting of thousands of foreign-trained doctors. There are towns and cities all over Canada crying out for a doctor and also many opportunities for medical research in universities.

Canada's provincial governments are trying to facilitate Canadian immigration for doctors. The newspaper reports that 42 per cent of the 2,961 doctors licensed in 2006 by Ontario, were foreign trained. Alberta is offering clinical assistant positions where foreign doctors can work under the supervision of Canadian doctors to gain their licence.

Canada needs more doctors: The Canadian Visa Bureau can assist skilled workers interested in Canadian immigration. Anyone applying for a Canadian visa should begin by completing the online Canadian visa application to see if they meet the legislative requirements.
    Canada needs more doctors than it has. That was in 2008, from the Canadian Visa Bearau.

Health crisis – Canada needs thousands of doctors now
    Summary: There are not enough doctors in Canada to service our existing populace
    let alone to service an increase in population. As well the doctors we do have are
    proportionately overrepresented in urban areas to the detriment of Canada’s rural
    regions. The training of new doctors has not kept up with increases in population nor
    have the federal and provincial governments come up with an effective method of
    allocating doctors to where they are most required.
    I could go on

google it. Don't know what your troubles are. But there are definitely more vacancies than suitable applicants in Canada
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i have no ******* with canada but i always get the impression it's a bland nowhere place struggling to get away from the fact it's "that big place next to america filled with people that sound like americans that gave the world justin bieber"... though don't tell a canadian they sound like americans otherwise they'll cry.. don't get me wrong i would love to visit and have seen pics of some lovely scenery... it's just i wouldn't like to live there now, maybe if i visited i would change my mind. i think if i did live there i would live somewhere like Quebec because that place does sound interesting...

maybe this is just my ignorance of the place, i'm sorry but canada hardly comes up in geography or history in school because it's not "important" enough and i have never been there... and i have better things to do than spend hours researching it...
    Yay Justin Bieber!1
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me for dare meddling with a med student :rolleyes:

Canada needs more doctors than it has. That was in 2008, from the Canadian Visa Bearau.

I could go on

google it. Don't know what your troubles are. But there are definitely more vacancies than suitable applicants in Canada
    Look, Canada is even worse than America. Unless you are Canadian, you are basically buggered. I have spoken to representatives that visit medical schools about this, as well as final years who are in the process of sitting USMLE exams with the intention of matching in the USA (which is the best way/only way of getting into Canada as an IMG without residency). It is a fact that of all the IMG's that come to Canada, 90-95% will not obtain a residency. The few that do, do so, after either years and years of trying, or, because they know people in high places who 'pull strings' for them.

Just visit http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_10_e.shtml and see how few IMG's get a residency in Canadian match every year. There are currently 12,000 IMG's in Canada, actively seeking a residency position. In Ontario alone, there are currently over 4000 foreign doctors with no job and no residency.

Across Canada there are thousands and thousands of desperate foreign trained doctors. Some of them are outright Canadian Citizens! Of those select few that actually complete all the requirements needed just to apply, only 10% will obtain a residency position (it has varied between 4% and 16% over the past 11 years). Also, those residency positions are the worst, left over ones, that NO Canadian medical graduate wanted. In the match, 93% of all residency positions in Canada are filled by graduates of Canadian medical schools. The only residencies available to IMG's are those left over 2 year rural Family Practice spots, that NO Canadian medical graduate wanted - these are positions in some hell hole where no Canadian wants to go.

Australia, New Zealand, the USA - are much more open to IMGs - Canada is very difficult - and forget getting a competitive spec. This applies to the USA to a lesser degree as well.

Edit: http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2007MatchRe...cipline_en.pdf

8% matched in 2007, and the majority in family medicine (which will be in super rural - in the sticks - Canada). And most of these will be Canadians who studied at Medical Schools overseas - because to apply for a residency in Canada, the first and most important requirement is that you MUST be a Canadian citizen / permanent resident. So how do you suppose I get to become an IMG in Canada so easy again? Marry a Canadian or get residency some other way (how?) and then go through a matching process within only 8% get matched? And those that do match, get some **** job in hick town? Sound easy or desirable? :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive recently applied to McGill and im currently waiting for a response. I have studied french in years and my working knowledge of the language is quite average. Would I be disadvantaged if I were to go to McGill.

Is speaking French a necessity?

Thanks!

Oh, and from what ive heard from friends and family - Canada = Awesome Sauce.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Look, Canada is even worse than America. Unless you are Canadian, you are basically buggered. I have spoken to representatives that visit medical schools about this, as well as final years who are in the process of sitting USMLE exams with the intention of matching in the USA (which is the best way/only way of getting into Canada as an IMG without residency). It is a fact that of all the IMG's that come to Canada, 90-95% will not obtain a residency. The few that do, do so, after either years and years of trying, or, because they know people in high places who 'pull strings' for them.

Just visit http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_10_e.shtml and see how few IMG's get a residency in Canadian match every year. There are currently 12,000 IMG's in Canada, actively seeking a residency position. In Ontario alone, there are currently over 4000 foreign doctors with no job and no residency.

Across Canada there are thousands and thousands of desperate foreign trained doctors. Some of them are outright Canadian Citizens! Of those select few that actually complete all the requirements needed just to apply, only 10% will obtain a residency position (it has varied between 4% and 16% over the past 11 years). Also, those residency positions are the worst, left over ones, that NO Canadian medical graduate wanted. In the match, 93% of all residency positions in Canada are filled by graduates of Canadian medical schools. The only residencies available to IMG's are those left over 2 year rural Family Practice spots, that NO Canadian medical graduate wanted - these are positions in some hell hole where no Canadian wants to go.

Australia, New Zealand, the USA - are much more open to IMGs - Canada is very difficult - and forget getting a competitive spec. This applies to the USA to a lesser degree as well.

Edit: http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2007MatchRe...cipline_en.pdf

8% matched in 2007, and the majority in family medicine (which will be in super rural - in the sticks - Canada). And most of these will be Canadians who studied at Medical Schools overseas - because to apply for a residency in Canada, the first and most important requirement is that you MUST be a Canadian citizen / permanent resident. So how do you suppose I get to become an IMG in Canada so easy again? Marry a Canadian or get residency some other way (how?) and then go through a matching process within only 8% get matched? And those that do match, get some **** job in hick town? Sound easy or desirable? :rolleyes:
    I didnt actually go through every article so i'll take your word for it. But at the same time there are just as many sources saying that Canada has a crippling lack of Doctors,

Maybe their selection procedure is just too strict and is bottlenecking the system. Why you so keen to go over there then?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs007)
    Ive recently applied to McGill and im currently waiting for a response. I have studied french in years and my working knowledge of the language is quite average. Would I be disadvantaged if I were to go to McGill.

Is speaking French a necessity?

Thanks!

Oh, and from what ive heard from friends and family - Canada = Awesome Sauce.
    No speaking French isn't necessary. I have a couple friends who go there who know very little french and still do well. Many people there know how to speak English.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didnt actually go through every article so i'll take your word for it. But at the same time there are just as many sources saying that Canada has a crippling lack of Doctors,

Maybe their selection procedure is just too strict and is bottlenecking the system. Why you so keen to go over there then?
    I am not remotely keen on working in Canada, why would I want to bother with that? I'm responding to your claims, where did I once say I wanted to work in Canada, as an IMG it isn't worth wasting your time. I'm considering doing the USMLE and applying for the match - with the aim of moving to the USA after F1 & 2. Regards the doctor shortage - that is due to Canadian medical societies that lobby for restrictive legislation against IMGs. Yes there is a doctor shortage in Canada. But the way Canada is solving that doctor shortage is by increasing the number of spots at Canadian medical schools. Every medical school across Canada has increased enrollment. In addition Canada has decided to open up a new medical school in Northern Ontario which will produce a new batch of Canadian medical graduates. There are loads of foreign trained doctors across Canada with no job and no residency, loads of them are in Ontario. They have passed the Canadian exams (MCCEE, MCCQE), they are ready to work now. The bottom line is that despite a doctor shortage, Canada will never provide jobs to graduates of foreign medical schools, even if you are a Canadian citizen. Canada only wants graduates of Canadian medical schools, with a few IMGs with residency to pick up the slack in rural areas.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Emigrated from UK when I was 12. The main thing is the climate, it is minus 30 degrees Celsius in Calgary today, the cold weather generally lasts from October to March. Vancouver has a much milder climate but is nearly as expensive as the UK. No doubt that living standards are higher, job prospects better and the people friendly though. Personally, I find the climate is a deal breaker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I am not remotely keen on working in Canada, why would I want to bother with that? I'm responding to your claims, where did I once say I wanted to work in Canada, as an IMG it isn't worth wasting your time. I'm considering doing the USMLE and applying for the match - with the aim of moving to the USA after F1 & 2. Regards the doctor shortage - that is due to Canadian medical societies that lobby for restrictive legislation against IMGs. Yes there is a doctor shortage in Canada. But the way Canada is solving that doctor shortage is by increasing the number of spots at Canadian medical schools. Every medical school across Canada has increased enrollment. In addition Canada has decided to open up a new medical school in Northern Ontario which will produce a new batch of Canadian medical graduates. There are loads of foreign trained doctors across Canada with no job and no residency, loads of them are in Ontario. They have passed the Canadian exams (MCCEE, MCCQE), they are ready to work now. The bottom line is that despite a doctor shortage, Canada will never provide jobs to graduates of foreign medical schools, even if you are a Canadian citizen. Canada only wants graduates of Canadian medical schools, with a few IMGs with residency to pick up the slack in rural areas.
    Well you seem to have researched it exhaustively, so i don't know what other logical assumption to have made apart from you had interest?

With regards to wanting to work in the USA...i won't even go there, but good luck to you anyway

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 23, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.