The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Canadian exchange student needs some advice!

Hey everyone,

So I'm considering coming to the University of Manchester next year for second semester (JAN-JUNE 2013) and I have tons of questions to ask those of you who attend/live in Manchester.

First of all, after reading a few of the threads regarding accommodation I noticed a lot of the domestic students tend to stay away from residence halls that have a lot of international students - I personally don't want to live in a hall with other international students as I want the full British uni experience so which houses should I avoid?

Secondly I'd be in my final year when I arrive so as a 21 year old which rez would i feel most comfortable in as I don't wanna be stuck entirely with first years? Do a lot of the upper year students move out of rez to private flats?

And finally is January a bad time to come to Manchester? I want to go out and travel a lot but if the weather is ****ty I don't know if it will be worth it?...

Sorry for a all the questions hopefully some of you can help!

xx
The accommodation on the city campus has a reputation of having the most internationals. Victoria Park has a reputation of being quiet but still sociable. Fallowfield has the reputation of being the big lively student place.

Most 2nd+ students move out, though having said that there are two 3rd years and a 2nd year in my flat for various reasons but this seems to be a little out of the ordinary.

The weather is really cold and crappy at the moment. Then again it's Manchester, famed for bad weather. It'll probably get nicer from March/April though. Doesn't exactly stop you getting out and about though. Just put a coat on!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by anglophilexo

Hey everyone,

So I'm considering coming to the University of Manchester next year for second semester (JAN-JUNE 2013) and I have tons of questions to ask those of you who attend/live in Manchester.

First of all, after reading a few of the threads regarding accommodation I noticed a lot of the domestic students tend to stay away from residence halls that have a lot of international students - I personally don't want to live in a hall with other international students as I want the full British uni experience so which houses should I avoid?
As Fretter778 said, city is full of internationals, so Fallowfield would probably be better for you.

Secondly I'd be in my final year when I arrive so as a 21 year old which rez would i feel most comfortable in as I don't wanna be stuck entirely with first years? Do a lot of the upper year students move out of rez to private flats?
99% of UK students stay in halls of residence for the first year, and then 99% of those move out into private shared houses / flats for subsequent years. Not because there's anything wrong with halls, it's just that it's what you do. It's the same in just about any UK university. In all fairness, you shouldn't feel too uncomfortable even with first years - some (half of my flat in halls) will have had a gap year, so will be 19/20 when they are in halls. IMHO, there's no noticeable difference between people who are 18 and 20. The only difference comes with the fact that first year doesn't count towards your final grade here, whereas subsequent years do, so second & third year students are a lot more focused on their studies.

And finally is January a bad time to come to Manchester? I want to go out and travel a lot but if the weather is ****ty I don't know if it will be worth it?...
It's a bit chilly, but warmer than Canada! IMHO the UK's tendency towards rain is massively overstated, but that may be because we're used to it!

Sorry for a all the questions hopefully some of you can help!

xx

Hope that helps :smile: Feel free to ask any more questions that you might have.
I'm from Canada too! Also hoping to go to Manchester the same term as you... I've been reading a lot of these threads and I feel a little wary about Fallowfield because it sounds like everyone will be just a little too... young? not serious enough?
I don't know... I was leaving towards City Campus but at the same time I do want to party a lot, but I also need to get good grades in my courses. :s-smilie:
Also... No one seems to every mention Victoria Park?

Anyways, maybe I'll see you next year!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4

The weather won't be nearly as cold as it is here, unless you live on the coast and are used to generally mild weather. If you're like me and currently freezing in Alberta's -45 degree weather, rainy England is looking like a blessing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending