The Student Room Group

Retake stories

Well I finished my last January exam and I'm pretty sure I'm going to retake all of them :L I think I got something a long the lines of BBE and I was aiming for AAC (Maths, Psychology, Economics). Probably going to retake them this summer but I'm not to bothered :P (Not yet at least XD)

Anyways I'm interested in peoples retake stories, good or bad, be an interesting read :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
That doesn't seem too bad. :smile:

I only had one January exam last year (Business Studies) and screwed up, getting an E.
Come June, with only scraps of revision, I got a B and that helped bring my overall AS grade to an B (I got a C on the other exam).

I only have one exam in Feburary, I hope it isn't an omen! :{
I'm sure you did well and probably better than I will!
Reply 2
I'll tell you a story. Their are two students John and Kate. John achieved DDE in his January exams and Kate achieved CEE in her January exams.

Both of them retook, however, Kate ended up with AAA whereas John only ended up with BCC.

Now I really want to know something. How the **** is someone elses story on retakes going to help you? Some students who retook may be smarter than you and were probably dossing around during the first few months of AS whereas other students may be 'stupid' and the the grade they peak at is a maximum 'C'.

I just want to know how another students story is going to help you in any way whatsoever.
(edited 12 years ago)
^ Harsh but the truth. Forget about everyone else, just focus on yourself :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by isp
I'll tell you a story. Their are two students John and Kate. John achieved DDE in his January exams and Kate achieved CEE in her January exams.

Both of them retook, however, Kate ended up with AAA whereas John only ended up with BCC.

Now I really want to know something. How the **** is someone elses story on retakes going to help you? Some students who retook may be smarter than you and were probably dossing around during the first few months of AS whereas other students may be 'stupid' and the the grade they peak at is a maximum 'C'.

I just want to know how another students story is going to help you in any way whatsoever.

It's nothing like that lol, I genuinely like reading peoples stories on how well they did, there was a thread ages ago on what did you get at AS or something and I read like all 10 pages XD I always ask people in school these things to, I'm just kinda weird like that 8)
Reply 5
Original post by isp

Uh, a little thing called MOTIVATION!
It does help, I went from being an average student, to an A grade one, becouse i was motivated by other students experiences.. anything is possible if you put your mind to it
Original post by Implo
It's nothing like that lol, I genuinely like reading peoples stories on how well they did, there was a thread ages ago on what did you get at AS or something and I read like all 10 pages XD I always ask people in school these things to, I'm just kinda weird like that 8)

There is a huge problem with that, you keep asking and feel inspired but YOU'RE not specifically doing anything to achieve that itself is what I feel he is trying to say coming to the point - don't worry about other people - focus on yourself :smile: I used to be like that aswell, asking and feeling inspired but it's even more inspiring if you can look back and say you've experienced it and I can you that from experience :smile:
Reply 7
Well I was told by my maths teacher that they'd be extremely surprised if I managed C in a-level maths. Which was a real bummer when I had to apply to King's with predicted grades of A*AC when their standard offer is AAA. Luckily, after some pleading, they've given me an offer and with my retakes I'm now on course for an A* :biggrin: Stickin' it to the man!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I retook a lot!! I did C1 4 times (the first time then 3 resits) and i went from an E to an A and i felt so s**t after each time thinking ' this is the easiest module, why am i struggling with it so much!' but i kept at it and it turned out alright in the end :smile:

My complete resit list includes: Maths (C1x3, C3), Geog (Unit 1 x2, Unit 2 x2, Unit 3, Unit 4A x2), Spanish (Unit 1 x2) so quite a fair few :tongue:

i hate the fact i resat so much, doesn't help that i do terrible in exams, i didn't get into uni last year which i'm not surprised about :frown: I wish i'd done proper revision back in AS and A2 as opposed to leaving it to the last minute assuming that what i did in class was enough. I also wish i dropped Spanish after AS as it brought me down across the board, i overestimated my ability despite shoddy grades and now regret it.

Quick Reply

Latest