The Student Room Group

Nicest response from a university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
UCL sent me a Christmas card last year :moon:
Original post by Forget that
Yes, that was her and the same poem! :smile:
Did you go on the day when the projector wasn't working? I thought that was quite ironic, as they were boosting about the new equipment as a main selling point to go there :tongue:

Haha, fantastic! Have you received an offer yet? :biggrin:

I went on Wednesday 11th so I don't think so. The projectors were working if I remember correctly. :tongue:
Reply 102
Original post by juliewho
Lots of little fancy ones with different meaty things and salady things in, and they had a vegetarian platter too which made me quite happy :tongue: Best of all, they had more chocolate biscuits than boring plain ones...

:P If only they knew how many biscuits I can eat...

I so hope I get in!!
Reply 103
Royal Holloway have been lovely and I feel horrible because I'm going to reject them :frown:
Reply 104
I think mine would have to be Cardiff Metro. After the interview my interviwer sent me an e-mail saying it was good to see me etc. and plenty of helpful links and "best wishes".

It almost made me feel guilty in declining them. :rolleyes:
Original post by DrinkYourMilk
Haha, fantastic! Have you received an offer yet? :biggrin:

I went on Wednesday 11th so I don't think so. The projectors were working if I remember correctly. :tongue:

Yes i got an offer, but its for 360 points :s-smilie:
I only applied with AAB predicted grades.
Ill have to pull an A* out of the bag or pull my C in history to an A without any retakes haha :biggrin:
I have to say the Sheffield open day was miles better than the rest - they really do make an effort and welcome you.
Durham was the only place that sent an email after interview saying 'it was very nice to meet you' which I thought was nice :smile:
Nicest or creepyest? Hardly a day goes by without Surrey sending me a letter of congratulations and how much they enjoyed my application.
Must be on number seven or eight now, not including the posted christmas card and E-Christmas card.
The worse thing is that they all different- not like the same thing over and over again.

Put me off going there completely. Harassment of the highest decree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Forget that
Yes i got an offer, but its for 360 points :s-smilie:
I only applied with AAB predicted grades.
Ill have to pull an A* out of the bag or pull my C in history to an A without any retakes haha :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm in a similar position. :frown:
I have my A in English Language from last year and that's a high one so I'm not too fussed about that at the moment. Low A in Politics so I have to keep it at a steady level. Low B in Literature after AQA's nightmare marking last June. I have to really step up my game now. :frown:
Reply 110
Northumbria were lovely. The guy who interviewed me was really nice and after the interview he carried my portfolio for me while we walked back to the other building and told me it was really good and not to say anything to the other students (because I was one of the first to be interviewed) but that I was going to get an offer. Think my grin might have given it away (':

UCL were really unfriendly with me when I rang up to ask why I'd been rejected straight away (the desicion letter said I wasn't studying the required subjects but I wasn't sure which ones I wasn't) :frown: but I guess I can't judge the whole university on the one woman I spoke to!

Oh and Northumbria sent me a Christmas poem via email :3 (just saw everyone talking about Christmas cards above)
(edited 12 years ago)
Wish I had some of these experiences, haha. I think the friendliest one for was QMUL law school. Was much more personable and the tutor e-mailed me mentioning he was recommending I receive an offer while complimenting my AS grades and a very good personal statement.

Worst have to be Warwick. I was rejected without a reason given by UCAS, requested feedback and I was given a stock template after a 4 day wait which was full of around 4 paragraphs of irrelevance only for one line based upon the reason; personal statement. Also Had to e-mail Warwick before sending my application off and that time they took around 10 days only to get a reply telling me to to e-mail general admissions rather than law admissions. Call me lazy, but forwarding my e-mail to that department would have been a nice gesture.

Weird how one law school (which isn't a 'rubbish' one by any standards) can claim your PS is very good and yet one reject you based upon the PS. Ah well.
(edited 12 years ago)
well i actually had a handwritten note in my applicant pack from Aberystwyth :sexface:
Reply 113
The English department at York sent Christmas cards. :h:

They also said that as an excellent candidate, they genuinely hope I put serious consideration into York. It was probably an automated response, but it was still pleasant to read. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Surrey were very nice, they sent me lots of fancy, packaged, name-specified informations.
Aston were really nice. I picked them and got a conditional pretty fast despite having a UCAS application with exceptional circumstances. The open day was great, the lecturers were really nice and it felt really personal (coffee + cake!) but I ended up declining the offer because I had a better one and didn't want to risk having to find student accomodation in Birmingham by putting them as insurance.

I ended up in clearance anyways and Aston still had a place on the course. I phoned up and spoke to some admissions person and asked him honestly, what do you think my chances are and he said 'I don't think you're likely to get an offer but I'll pass you along to the department and they'll call you back'. A day later I got an extremely polite email from someone in the sciences department saying they noticed I had originally applied to Aston and were really pleased to see I was enthusiastic about the course and university so they are offering me an unconditional place.

Unfortunately this was around the time of the riots and it was all over the news about those 3 kids getting murdered in the Aston area which on top of having to find accomodation really put me off so I ended up declining anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 116
UCL - They called me superficial and naive
King's - Lowered my offer because they liked me :smile:
Original post by DrinkYourMilk
Yeah, I'm in a similar position. :frown:
I have my A in English Language from last year and that's a high one so I'm not too fussed about that at the moment. Low A in Politics so I have to keep it at a steady level. Low B in Literature after AQA's nightmare marking last June. I have to really step up my game now. :frown:

You did almost the same as me! i did politics as well :biggrin:
i got nearly full ums and i still dropped it :wink: you still got an A so technically you could get an A* at least thats what I'm hoping to do for geography!
AQA was just a joke, but then it wasn't because it effected our lives.
They should not be able to get away with such things :mad:
Thank goodness the person the marking mine was high/drunk/really really tired/ so i still got an A because even the teacher said i wrote the wrong things :rolleyes:
Reply 118
Original post by mraz
UCL - They called me superficial and naive

Really? That's terrible!
Reply 119
Er UCL i think were the nicest to me giving me a straight offer without anything but a questionnaire. Cambridge were also really nice even why then rejected me after pooling! I haven't really had any bad dealing with Manchester Birmingham and RH who also all lowered offers.

Some of my friend like for Primary Teaching have had bad experiences at their interview though with other Unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending