The Student Room Group

S1 Jan 2012 Edexcel Post Exam Discussion Thread - Solutions in the first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Question 2 - I mucked it totally up. made the same mistake as Sarah, so no A for me! I also made a few other mistakes, silly really.

Now head down for revising for other exams.

:mad: S1
Reply 81
For some reason I can't see the solutions in the first post :s-smilie:?
Reply 82
S2 anyone?
Reply 83
Original post by whatever_x
For some reason I can't see the solutions in the first post :s-smilie:?

Bottom of Arsey's post (in blue) I think
Original post by Arsey
So we would say PMCC increases, hence my solution.

However, given that the value of PMCC was -0.908, it would get closer to -1. So the value of the negative number should decrease. That said, you can understand why someone would say it is getting bigger, the negative number is getting bigger....[Disclaimer: I'm sure you're better than I am on the S1 syllabus, but my thoughts anyhow...]

To be honest, since the question is clear about asking whether the value increases or decreases, (rather than the correlation), it's fairly clear the correct answer is "decrease". I agree it's harsh on people dropping marks due to misinterpretation, though.

Furthermore, the data given is not possible. I appreciate it states 'without further calculation' but if you were to remove the fake coin, reduce your data set to 9 coins, calculate new values of Stt, Sww, Stw.

Stw changes to a positive value, meaning that there is now evidence of positive correlation, so PMCC WOULD INCREASE Numerically (if not statistically)

Sww is negative, which is impossible.
Just to confirm:

For 10 coins: w2=Sww+(w)2/10=0.16+(111.75)2/10=1248.99625\sum w^2 = S_{ww} + (\sum w)^2/10 = 0.16 + (111.75)^2/10 = 1248.99625
So after removing a coin weighing 20 grams: w2=848.99625,w=91.75\sum w^2 = 848.99625, \sum w = 91.75. Then Sww=848.99625(91.75)2/9=86.3740277...S_{ww} = 848.99625 - (91.75)^2 / 9 = -86.3740277...

So yes, those figures are not mathematically possible.

I'm appalled at this. Why on earth you wouldn't use a "real" dataset for this (by which I mean, 10 values picked to have roughly the right amount of correlation), I have no idea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Arsey
Other than Q2 I thought this was quite an easy paper, marks seem quite generous too.

Q1. Fairly easy histogram question (7)

Q2. Pretty tricky Venn diagram (9)

Q3. Standard DRV question (11)

Q4. Pretty easy/standard measures of location/spread question (11)

Q5. Pretty easy correlation/regression (issues with part f) (15)

Q6. Very easy Venn

Q7. Pretty simple normal distribution

I would expect fairly high boundaries for this paper

My guess would be

100UMS = 75
90 UMS = 70
80 UMS = 65
70 UMS = 58
60 UMS = 51
50 UMS = 45
40 UMS = 38

EDIT - This has been corrected on V2 of the solutions

EDIT - error on 4e)

I used the calculated mean and s.d. from earlier in the qu. For some reason, new values of the mean and s.d were given for part e)

scaled mean = 45
scaled sd = 9

(if you have made the same error, it is almost certainly 2 marks gone).

Edit 5f)

This question is very naughty.

From the calculations it would appear that the fake 5 year old coin weighing 20g is an outlier. Statistically, removing an outlier from a data set should increase the correlation between the two sets of data (It should make any formula generated more reliable).

So we would say PMCC increases, hence my solution.

However, given that the value of PMCC was -0.908, it would get closer to -1. So the value of the negative number should decrease. That said, you can understand why someone would say it is getting bigger, the negative number is getting bigger....

I have no idea how they will mark this one.

Furthermore, the data given is not possible. I appreciate it states 'without further calculation' but if you were to remove the fake coin, reduce your data set to 9 coins, calculate new values of Stt, Sww, Stw.

Stw changes to a positive value, meaning that there is now evidence of positive correlation, so PMCC WOULD INCREASE Numerically (if not statistically)

Sww is negative, which is impossible.

With such a small data set, 1 extreme piece of data will have a massive impact, so having an original PMCC so close to -1 doesn't make any sense in the first place.

if I didn't multiply by 2 in the last question how much will I lose ???

also in question of given he runs find p of swim and not cyle
if I miss read the value of p(R) insted of 65 i wrote 55 how much will I lose :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by destruction
i one of the previous question they said area= 0.2 if within range
So prob not in range is 1-0.2=0.8

Then it was just
In range x Not in range + Not in Rangex In range Or one of those multiplied by 2

I did it but forgot the x2 :angry:

But would I get any method marks and also if I rounded b in the regression line to 0.03
Reply 87
Do you think that the grade boundaries will really be that high? It's just that everyone in my class who took it found it quite difficult.. :/
Reply 88
Original post by DFranklin
[Disclaimer: I'm sure you're better than I am on the S1 syllabus, but my thoughts anyhow...]

To be honest, since the question is clear about asking whether the value increases or decreases, (rather than the correlation), it's fairly clear the correct answer is "decrease". I agree it's harsh on people dropping marks due to misinterpretation, though.

Just to confirm:

For 10 coins: w2=Sww+(Sw)2/10=0.16+(111.75)2/10=1248.99625\sum w^2 = S_{ww} + (S_w)^2/10 = 0.16 + (111.75)^2/10 = 1248.99625
So after removing a coin weighing 20 grams: w2=848.99625,w=91.75\sum w^2 = 848.99625, \sum w = 91.75. Then Sww=848.99625(91.75)2/9=86.3740277...S_{ww} = 848.99625 - (91.75)^2 / 9 = -86.3740277...

I'm appalled at this. Why on earth you wouldn't use a "real" dataset for this (by which I mean, 10 values picked to have roughly the right amount of correlation), I have no idea.

Original post by Relina

if I miss read the value of p(R) insted of 65 i wrote 55 how much will I lose :s-smilie::s-smilie:

can you look at this post plz
Original post by Relina
can you look at this post plz
I've no idea how marking works for A-level exams.
Reply 90
Original post by Bright
Well I'm certain at least two super posh boys sitting to the left and right of me weren't.. they finished paper so quick and looked really bored .. :frown:

And I'm sure you have done fine, you seem to be good at the ''harder'' stuff, if it doesn't go according to plan, then retake in June :smile:

Hopefully I won't have to if I do really well on friday in M1.
Reply 91
Original post by Relina

2 marks for the last one

and prob all 3 for the prob one, depends if you showed any method
Reply 92
Original post by xdin0kass
What about S2 MS Arsey??

Gibbo did it
Reply 93
[Disclaimer: I'm sure you're better than I am on the S1 syllabus, but my thoughts anyhow...]

Just to confirm:

For 10 coins: w2=Sww+(w)2/10=0.16+(111.75)2/10=1248.99625\sum w^2 = S_{ww} + (\sum w)^2/10 = 0.16 + (111.75)^2/10 = 1248.99625

I agree, very poor.
would you lose marks if you dont state how much u rounded to. eg i left some answers as 4 dp but i didnt state that
if it 3sf or more it should be okay as long as you didn't round too early in the question
Original post by destruction
if it 3sf or more it should be okay as long as you didn't round too early in the question

what i did was, i found the answer and i wrote it as a fraction then in the next line i rounded to 3 or 4 dp. but in the latter parts of the question i used the fraction

Would i get all the marks for calculations
Reply 97
Yay! Im so happy with this paper :wink:
Very possible I got full marks :biggrin:
Reply 98
Original post by Arsey

would they still give you marks if the rest of the calculation on the probability is correct although part a was incorrect

When setting questions for National Tests etc we are always told to use real data. Edexcel tender for the same contracts so are well aware of this expectation. Why they don't apply the same standards to their own exams is beyond me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending