The Student Room Group

S1 Jan 2012 Edexcel Post Exam Discussion Thread - Solutions in the first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Arsey
x

On the last bit of the Venn question, it says:

Jason is one of these people (That does two sports only).
Then goes on to ask the 'given' question, surely that would exclude him just doing running, as we know that's not possible. So I put the answer would be out of 50 and not 65?

Also, if I did everything correct on the regression question but put sww instead of stt on the denominator when working out 'b', how many marks do you think I would lose?
Reply 161
Hoping for low boundaries for S1 this year and I have a good reason why.

Question 2 :s-smilie: :mad: :s-smilie:...WTF was that? Seriously? Question 2a) was do-able, I knew it was mutually exclusive. But the rest...

I used to absolutely love venn diagrams :biggrin:, but not anymore :angry:.

I mean I attempted 2b), and I intially got a negative value for A intersection B. I mean that logically doesn't make sense. How can the intersection be a negative value when it is mutually exclusive when the intersection is 0??? And because I got P(B) wrong (my answer to that was 5/12), I got the rest wrong :mad:.

Normal distribution, I was really good on and would have at least scored full marks on that.

Being someone who has done through revision for this module, I think it is fair to say that the boundaries should be slightly lower.

Im just happy with an A.

People on this thread, can you please tell me on what you thought about question 2. Just a bit interested to know. Thats all

Im certainly p***ed off about it and so are my mates (proper nerds)
(edited 12 years ago)
Ugh, I flopped this test so hard. Hopefully I can scrape a B :frown: I don't honestly remember what I wrote now...
Reply 163
Original post by exam2k10

Question 2 :s-smilie: :mad: :s-smilie:...WTF was that? Seriously? Question 2a) was do-able, I knew it was mutually exclusive. But the rest...

I mean I attempted 2b), and I intially got a negative value for A intersection B. I mean that logically doesn't make sense. How can the intersection be a negative value when it is mutually exclusive when the intersection is 0??? And because I got P(B) wrong (my answer to that was 5/12), I got the rest wrong :mad:.

Normal distribution, I was really good on and would have at least scored full marks on that.

Being someone who has done through revision for this module, I think it is fair to say that the boundaries should be slightly lower.

Im just happy with an A.

People on this thread, can you please tell me on what you thought about question 2. Just a bit interested to know. Thats all

Q2 was ok, all you had to do is sub in values
The written questions took the piss though that was 5 ****ing marks I lost :l
Reply 164
Original post by exam2k10

Im just happy with an A.

I got all of question 2 (bar mutually exclusive) wrong. 8 marks gone! :'(
its actually shocking to see how many geniuses there are on here, 28% think they got 71-75 marks, wooww
Original post by HighwayUnicorn

Original post by HighwayUnicorn
Ugh, I flopped this test so hard. Hopefully I can scrape a B :frown: I don't honestly remember what I wrote now...

same! I don't even remember but I'm pretty sure I didn't write whatever the correct answer was :/ I may have to retake this one.....
Reply 167
lol yep, im going to actually revise next time... i did ****ing ****!.... probs D :frown: - its simple maths aswell...
Original post by Arsey
grade boundaries depend on how well candidates have done, obviously the difficulty of the paper will impact this massively.

it we compare the paper to Jan 09 which was 65 for 80ums

Q1) Linear regression, slightly easier than 12
Q2) Venn diagram, fairly tricky but easier than 12
Q3) DRV, much harder than 12, e) was very poorly answered
Q4) Box plots, not asked in 12 but fairly easy; Correlation, fairly easy
Q5) Histograms and averages; I would say this was much harder than 12, interpolation is normally a bloodbath
Q6) Normal distribution, marginally more difficult.

So, overall I would say this was an easier paper. It could be less than 65 for an A (it could be more) but I really don't think it will be very much less.

whilst the student room is definitely not representative of the national picture, look at the poll.

hi arsey for PMCC i said would decrease would i get any marks and for the scaled Sd I GOt 4.5 and for regression i got a= 16.something and for the probability quetion i got 5/12 for P(B) and the last question on normal distribution i got 230.975 and for the last part got 0.04? so how many marks would i lose in total and for the histogram got like 68.5 and for the scaled SD i got 4.5 so how many marks would i lose in total? will i get method marks? thanks
Original post by otrivine
hi arsey for PMCC i said would decrease would i get any marks and for the scaled Sd I GOt 4.5 and for regression i got a= 16.something and for the probability quetion i got 5/12 for P(B) and the last question on normal distribution i got 230.975 and for the last part got 0.04? so how many marks would i lose in total and for the histogram got like 68.5 and for the scaled SD i got 4.5 so how many marks would i lose in total? will i get method marks? thanks

LOL how do you still remember :redface:
Original post by pakizrulez
LOL how do you still remember :redface:

ahahhahaha i am going crazy about the exams loool ;:smile: mate do u know roughly how many marks i would lose can i still get an A? cheers bro
please can someone tell me how many marks i loss??its above
anyone?
Reply 173
Original post by Mouth
I got all of question 2 (bar mutually exclusive) wrong. 8 marks gone! :'(

I'm not even sure that I remembered mutually exclusive correctly - so that is 9 gone, as I got the rest totally wrong!!!:mad:
Original post by mld
I'm not even sure that I remembered mutually exclusive correctly - so that is 9 gone, as I got the rest totally wrong!!!:mad:

can u check how many marks i lost u think?
Reply 175

I'll have another look at the mark scheme when i get it back. I've just leant it to a friend. So this pm I could have a look for you.

But basically you lose A marks for accuracy, and M marks for method. so you could probably go through it better yourself. Just lose 1 mark everytime you make a mistake.
Reply 176
Original post by mld
I'll have another look at the mark scheme when i get it back. I've just leant it to a friend. So this pm I could have a look for you.

But basically you lose A marks for accuracy, and M marks for method. so you could probably go through it better yourself. Just lose 1 mark everytime you make a mistake.

for PMCC i said would decrease would i get any marks - yes 1
and for the scaled Sd I GOt 4.5 - which Q is this?
and for regression i got a= 16.something - which Q is this?
for the probability quetion i got 5/12 for P(B) - You lose at least one mark, maybe more if your method was wrong!
the last question on normal distribution i got 230.975 - no points for accuracy, but I don't know your method!
for the last part got 0.04? - again no points for accuracy but you may or may not get method marks
for the histogram got like 68.5 - I think you lose 2 accuracy marks (1 for part a and 1 for part b)
and for the scaled SD i got 4.5 so how many marks would i lose in total? will i get method marks? thanks

I hope that helps.
Original post by mld
for the probability quetion i got 5/12 for P(B) - You lose at least one mark, maybe more if your method was wrong!
the last question on normal distribution i got 230.975 - no points for accuracy, but I don't know your method!
for the last part got 0.04? - again no points for accuracy but you may or may not get method marks
for the histogram got like 68.5 - I think you lose 2 accuracy marks (1 for part a and 1 for part b)
and for the scaled SD i got 4.5 so how many marks would i lose in total? will i get method marks? thanks

I hope that helps.

thanks the SD question was on the scaled part? and the regression was fining the line equation i got b correct ? so how many u think i lost from your opinion estimation can i get my A or not?
Original post by mld

I hope that helps.

ohh sorry i put PMCC would increase i think is right cause in the post he editied and said PMCC would increase?
Reply 179

don't know about PMCC as they have clearly manked that question up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending