The Student Room Group

Responsibility of a man to care for a child

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Haha I know this is a serious issue but your suggestions on what the mother could spend the money on made me laugh I totally agree, if the mother wasn't using the money for its correct use you have every right to be angry. That depends on the individual mother and whether they do things out of spite, so it would be unfair to assume most women would do this just as a point.

The father has no control over whether the woman is using it for the correct things. And often, after a relationship breaks up he has a very negative view of her and certainly does not trust her to raise her child well. If he had more control over what the child support was spent on- school fees, academic supplies, toys, books, clothes- he'd have a much greater motive to stay and pay it. Viewing men as walking wallets is bad for their self esteem and isn't a good long term model.

http://www.separateddads.co.uk/how-do-i-ensure-csa-money-spent-child.html

I am still paying my ex 15% of my income per month when she earns more than me. I look after my child overnight 2 to 3 nights per week and feel my ex nevers spends a penny on our child's upkeep. Our child is walking around with holes in shoes and secondhand clothing despite me handing over £300 per month.

She seems to be swanning about in designer clothes, shoes, handbags etc, and leaving my child with very sketchy (to say the least) childcare (with minors e.g 17 yr olds and so-called friends), while she goes off on weekends away with her new boyfriend and trips abroad.

It is utterly unfair to men that they have no way to prevent this. It's also an excellent reason for them to flee.

It depends on the situation. I could never support a woman who gets pregnant on purpose without the man's knowledge then contacting him for child support because that's just wrong, however if they both consented to sex they should understand the implications of that and there is always a very slim chance things won't go to plan.

I'm glad you wouldn't support rape or pinning condoms as an acceptable way to get child support. I know there have been court cases in america where rape victims have been forced to pay child support to their female rapists. I hope it doesn't go on here.

It's not clear to most people, and it wasn't to you, that having sex without a condom means the man has to pay the woman 40 thousand pounds with no oversight.

Ah I see. I'm normally against the government intervening with people's private lives because they should be left to make their own decisions in how they live their lives but unfortunately it's a common occurance nowadays with men getting women pregnant and trying to get away from it, then repeating it with another girl. They need to be held responsible for this and the government's way at the moment is prosecution.

As normal, the government is both the cause and the solution to its problems. Why are men fleeing? Because if they don't the government will punish them. Why is the government punishing them? Because they flee.

And normally men have consensual sexual encounters with women. I am not sure if they try to get them pregnant and get away from it. I doubt that's generally their intention.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nepene
It is utterly unfair to men that they have no way to prevent this. It's also an excellent reason for them to flee.

Er, not have sex in the first place maybe?:s-smilie: They do have a way prevent this.

It's not clear to most people, and it wasn't to you, that having sex without a condom means the man has to pay the woman 40 thousand pounds with no oversight.

The man has just as much responsibility with protection as the woman does. If he doesn't take responsibility, then tough. I have no sympathy for men who refuse to wear a condom and then moan they have to pay child support.
Reply 82
Original post by OU Student
Er, not have sex in the first place maybe?:s-smilie: They do have a way prevent this.

You don't have to not wear a condom. There's no legal requirement for you to do it bareback to have to pay child support and a lot of pregnancies happen while using contraception. Maybe the majority, I've not seen the statistics
Original post by Nepene
a lot of pregnancies happen while using contraception.

This is a risk you take. If you're not willing to take the risk, don't have sex.
You could equally argue that if the woman didn't want children and used contraception properly they shouldn't have to raise the child either. Unfortunately life has its little surprises, just because you didn't want something to happen shouldn't be an excuse to run away. Sometimes you've just got to suck it up and deal with things despite not liking the situation.

To the neggers: Sorry, it's called being an adult. You take responsibility for your actions.

:yep:

:thumbsup:
Original post by rad_student
Excellent point, men have NO choice when women make the decisions for them; only responsibility. Let's see if that is fair?

What we can do to stop being a parent (from manwomanmyth.com video)
Men: Abstinence, Condom & Vasectomy.
Women: Abstinence, Pill, Coil, Diaphragm, Femidom, Morning-after Pill, Abortion, Adoption, Hysterectomy.

I can see why they say it is a women's choice, they have so many more, not just legally!

A mother's POV on Part 1- men have an equal responsibility? video. Her last video is funny, though I am sure all women are different, " but its hard!"

Don't forget, just cause a woman has the baby, does not mean the man has rights to be involved at all. Toxic women deny fathers the right to see their children & I think we know the trouble that happens in a single mother family household - to society & life itself of the child. Some involve in PAS (parental alienation syndrome), bad mouthing the other parent (making it hard to love the the other parent) whilst still getting payments.

As mentioned by daisydaffodil, there should be a right to have no expectation of help if the man doesn't want the child in the first 24 weeks and Legally Signs his rights away; does not apply to marriage. It might not prevent Boris Becker still finding out his DNA has been used without permission to entrap him. I mean programs like "teenage mums" show women enslaving the men by lying on being on the pill; happens in marriage as well! Or the alleged rape by Yeater on Beiber.

If it is a part of her then she gets full responsibilty as well as full choice. So neither fe/male is abusing the laws. Is that Fair?

Original post by Rascacielos
I see your point but read my other post a few pages back.

The only other post was the 1 before the 1 I replied to.
I said have the baby...but expect a man not to be legally responsible; leave it to her on how much access is allowed for the future.
Each pregnant women is different, the woman in the video (GirlWritesWhat) when she shot " but its hard!" maybe different to you. Did you even see either video? Where did you agree/disagree with her?
Reply 86
This is a risk you take. If you're not willing to take the risk, don't have sex.

No, it's a government mandated policy risk that I disagree with. As such I shall continue to protest those who support those government policies and try to change their minds.
Original post by Nepene
No, it's a government mandated policy risk that I disagree with. As such I shall continue to protest those who support those government policies and try to change their minds.

Why should the father get away get with paying nothing then? He is just as responsible as the mother for ensuring that protection is in place.
Reply 88
Why should the father get away get with paying nothing then? He is just as responsible as the mother for ensuring that protection is in place.

Why should the father pay anything? I don't see how having a drunk sexual encounter means he should pay the woman forty thousand pounds any more than it means the woman should be forced to raise the child for eighteen years.
Reply 89

So if someone gets in a car accident, they should just suck it up whether or not it was their fault due to it being riskier by being in a car?
Original post by Nepene
Why should the father pay anything? I don't see how having a drunk sexual encounter means he should pay the woman forty thousand pounds any more than it means the woman should be forced to raise the child for eighteen years.

Where does the 40k come from? Why should he get away with not paying anything? he is just as responsible for the child as she is.
As someone else has already said, it's important to agree with your partner on potential outcomes before you have sex.

Original post by rad_student

I said have the baby...but expect a man not to be legally responsible; leave it to her on how much access is allowed for the future.

As you've said yourself, bringing up a child as a single mother is damned hard and many women won't be able to afford to do so. So it's not quite as simple as "have the baby but don't expect a man to be legally responsible for it," because essentially, in refusing to support the child financially, many women would be forced into having an abortion. How fair is it on a potential life to say that it can't exist because the financial resources aren't there to keep it alive? And how fair is that on the mother, who will have to go through the abortion? And if you try to deny how hard it is for a 99% of women to abort a child, then I think you're very naive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 92
Where does the 40k come from? Why should he get away with not paying anything? he is just as responsible for the child as she is.

40k is the average amount a man would have to pay, paying 40 pounds a week for 18 years.

Why should a woman get away with aborting her child or sending it off to adoption and not paying anything? Same reason as for a man, because it's immoral to force people to raise a child.
Where does it swim from bitches? The male partner has just as much a right as the woman. Also, use a damn condom.
Um..he impregnated her.....now he has to take responsibility for his actions. Even if he did all he could not to impregnate her. He still had sex with her knowing the risks. He has a responsibility now, as well as the mother...to care for the child.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I wasn't being literal. :h: Just referring to the fact that there are so many threads about women's deception regarding makeup, about how women abuse feminist rights and claim one thing but act with hypocrisy and do another, about how we expect equal treatment but throw unequal treatment back. And I know that, I was just saying people pounced on SnowRose because she said in this incident women shouldn't be treated equally as males, and I said while I agree with her point, I don't think it's an issue of equality but an issue of just being different and having to take these differences into accout for example with abortions.

I don't think women are horrible, its just what they DO, the ones that cheat & deceive, they should be held liable. The Me, Me & Me, which I mentioned http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1871974&page=7 #126 & #128 where I asked "Name one obligation that women have towards men?" Not holding my breath on that one. It is a gender issue, just like women & children first in lifeboats 2012. Why not start a thread where you call out men (or women) for the bad they have done?

Or maybe these women are wonderful, its just that reversing the situation makes them a hypocrite? E.g. a women falls pregnant on a 1 night stand, would she be happy if she was liable for the next 16+ years because she wanted to have the child (but not look after the child or happy for the father to be caretaker)?
I am saying there should be a legal detachment for the first 24 weeks, though it won't save this man ordered to pay £100k for children he never knew he had.

Maybe there are so many threads is because men have awoken to find that they are still responsible for a woman's choices (work law, false rape, reproductive rights), but there is no reciprocal and feminist laws are giving women even more rights, the whole world over! :angry: I applaud TSR in helping to have a discussion.

You are not contributing when you use Feminist Shaming Tactics, all argumentum ad hominem (hopefully I've used the right ones!)
Post #36 "There's got to be a lot of sexual repression going on here, I think some TSRian males need to get a girlfwend. :teehee:"
= Charge of Rationalisation: The man is accused of explaining away his own failures and or dissatisfaction by blaming women for his problems. "You are just bitter because you can't get laid."

(Maybe? Charge of Puerility: The man is accused of being immature and or irresponsible in some manner that reflects badly on his status as an adult male. "Grow up.", "You are so immature.", "Do you live with your mother?", "I'm not interested in boys. I'm interested in real men.", "Men are shirking their God-given responsibility to marry and bear children.")

I replied to your post in Feminism http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1871974&page=8 #143, there
Charge of Hypersensitivity: The man is accused of being hysterical or exaggerating the problems of men. "Stop whining.", "Get over it.", "Suck it up like a man.", "You guys don't have it as nearly as bad as us women.", "You're just afraid of losing your male privileges." "Your fragile male ego...", or "Wow. You guys need to get a grip,"
for "Why can't you understand that women have had a massive history of repression," whilst ignoring men's plight simultaneously.
That equality photo I added cracks me up every time! :colone:
Original post by ShredMaster
Where does it swim from bitches? The male partner has just as much a right as the woman. Also, use a damn condom.

Was there any need for that?

Also this debate surrounds what happens if contraception is used as opposed to not bothering. I agree with your point but it's impossible for men and women to be equals in this situation, men should get a say and be heard but as it's the woman who has to cope with having a child part of her for 9 months they should get the overriding say.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ArtGoblin
As usual, the child has been forgotten in this debate. Once the child has been born, of course their parents have a responsibility to look after them. Just because they weren't wanted doesn't give them the right to ignore this.

Agree. Quite simple really. To add, if the man is not present he should be forced to pay child support.
Was there any need for that?

Also this debate surrounds what happens if contraception is used as opposed to not bothering. I agree with your point but it's impossible for men and women to be equals in this situation, men should get a say and be heard but as it's the woman who has to cope with having a child part of her for 9 months they should get the overriding say.

I kind of agree but only to an extent. To be honest I don't see how you can force a woman to have/not have a child. In the end it all comes down to her. The child is inside of her, and not the man. However, I do feel that saying the man in the relationship cannot have an opinion on the matter is quite ridiculous.
Reply 99
Original post by Classical Liberal
Interesting point but I am not sure how you justify it.

If you argue that the woman has the right to terminate the pregnancy then surely you are arguing she has some kind of ownership over the fetus. Therefore she has responsibility to look after it as it is hers.

If she does not own the fetus and it is partly the mans responsibility to look after the fetus when it becomes a born baby then surely to the terminate the pregnancy the consent of the man is required?

There is a distinct difference between a foetus and a baby. A baby is an autonomous individual. Whilst the mother is harbouring the foetus it is technically part of her body and therefore she has total control over the termination of her pregnancy. To otherwise state that anyone else should have control over someone's body because they deposited some of their DNA inside her is setting a dangerous precedent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending