The Student Room Group

How has CBT changed you and your way of thinking?

Scroll to see replies

CBT didn't work for me at all, eventually my psychiatrist dismissed me from her care because she decided that "I didn't want to get better" and "suspected I wouldn't try on CBT as I'm too lazy"...wtf. That pretty much put me off it. I felt like I was being patronised or they were trying to put my rather complex mental state into a nice box, as if it was my fault and I could easily change it by being more positive? It's kind of the message they put across to me, irritating to say the least. I'm guessing mine was just a bad experience.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I feel like a bit of a failure reading over this actually lol.

Original post by llessur123
CBT didn't work for me at all, eventually my psychiatrist dismissed me from her care because she decided that "I didn't want to get better" and "suspected I wouldn't try on CBT as I'm too lazy"...wtf. That pretty much put me off it. I felt like I was being patronised or they were trying to put my rather complex mental state into a nice box, as if it was my fault and I could easily change it by being more positive? It's kind of the message they put across to me, irritating to say the least. I'm guessing mine was just a bad experience.

I haven't had CBT yet but I had a mentor in school and my experience was similar to yours - patronising, trying to parent me, condescending, didn't acknowledge the seriousness of my situation, assumed that I 'talked the talk' and didn't want to move on straight away...She also thought I was lazy as well :s-smilie:

Original post by llessur123
I feel like a bit of a failure reading over this actually lol.

Awww don't feel like a failure. One thing that works for one person may not work for another. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm coming to the end of my CBT sessions (apparently you get between 6 and 8 as a NHS patient) and they've helped me put things into perspective.

Usually I'd avoid situations where I became anxious and obviously when I came into a scenario where avoidance is impossible it became a massive problem.

But CBT has helped me rationalise my thought process; so now when I approach a situation where I'd usually become anxious, I take a deep breath and think to myself about what I'm actually anxious about - that really helps and I can get through the situation.

I still find myself having to do the same thing every time I'm in that situation though, whereas I thought it would soon start to fade away with rationalisation. I guess I'm being a bit over-ambitious in that I'm expecting it to show a sudden improvement.

What I want to know is what happens when the sessions are over? Am I just left to fend for myself?!
I'll be honest, whether CBT helps you or not depends on two things:

1) your level of motivation
2) Whether you know exactly what your problem is

I went to a CBT therapist initially with anxiety issues, he did help with those, to a certain extent, but I didn't realise those anxiety issues where really the tip of a very,very large iceberg of self-esteem issues- now i'm starting again specifically for low-self esteem.
Original post by Anonymous
I'll be honest, whether CBT helps you or not depends on two things:

1) your level of motivation
2) Whether you know exactly what your problem is

I went to a CBT therapist initially with anxiety issues, he did help with those, to a certain extent, but I didn't realise those anxiety issues where really the tip of a very,very large iceberg of self-esteem issues- now i'm starting again specifically for low-self esteem.

I have yet to get a referral (or to self-refer) for CBT, but I do have a high level of motivation, and I know exactly what my problems are. Whether this means CBT will work for me, well I don't know, I cannot say since I have not had it yet, but I am willing to give it a try.
Original post by Anonymous
CBT didn't work for me at all, I'm not someone who can easily change negative thoughts into positive ones. So I quit going and found a new therapist. Some events that have occurred in my life will never ever be considered as positives and I don't wish to think of them in that way. Act and being mindful have probably helped me more, I'm beginning to realise although I cannot change the past and I cannot take away what has happened I do have the choice not to let it ruin me or have an impact on my everyday life now. It's not been a fast process by any means but it has been the best approach for me.

I understand.
So, here's an update.

I referred myself for CBT and had an assessment, so I will be starting in September. Hopefully all will go well.

I will be posting updates on how it goes.

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
So, here's an update.

I referred myself for CBT and had an assessment, so I will be starting in September. Hopefully all will go well.

Good luck :smile:
So, here's an update.

I will be posting updates on how it goes.

That's great. I hope it will be as positive as an experience for you, as it was for me :yes:
Just to add, in the assessment I was asked why do I want CBT, why do I want it at this time of my life, I had to rank how often I have felt anxiety/depression, and I spoke about my childhood.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's great. I hope it will be as positive as an experience for you, as it was for me :yes:

Original post by The Real Quaid
Good luck :smile:

Thank you. I expect to start in September.
CBT is helping me control panic and anxiety, taking a lot of time but it's not going to change overnight.
UPDATE:

So since October of last year I have been having CBT for self-esteem.

Good points:
1.) CBT has helped me to realise how my thoughts have been affecting me in my life. As a result, I am a lot more conscious of this and so I am figuring out ways to control these horrible thoughts and to not let them get the better of me.
2.) I am now aware of different types of negative thinking.
3.) I didn't realise this, but I have a bad habit of over thinking things rather than seeing them for what they are, so I have been learning to deal with this - mindfulness.

Bad points:
1.) My issues are deep-rooted but CBT only 'scratches the surface.'
2.) I feel as though CBT gives you the tools, then you have to figure out some things for yourself. This may not necessarily be a bad thing, but there have been times in sessions I have felt dumbfounded because I don't know what to say or the right solutions.

Overall it has been ok, but I think I need a bit more 'help' in dealing with my issues. Also, CBT is not a quick-fix. Over the past few years I have had various types of help - counselling on a couple of occasions and now CBT. Recovery takes time, and it is not easy for me to change. But I am glad I am having CBT - I feel as though I am slowly regaining control of my mind and my life, and I am learning to be more assertive and happy within myself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Another update:
I returned to CBT mid-January after the Christmas holidays, and since then the sessions are getting better and I feel much better. I am not struggling with my thoughts as much as I used to. When I struggled with my thoughts I struggled with the therapy, and I didn't know if I would ever get better.

I see things a lot clearly now. Even when I have 'blips' and I start to think unhealthily I know how to deal with those thoughts instead of letting it consume me. CBT has taught me to handle my thoughts better and change them into better ones. I am more aware of my thoughts, my thinking patterns and how to deal with them. I know to 'tune out' and to 'counter-attack' those thoughts.

So I guess things are looking up.
Another update:
I returned to CBT mid-January after the Christmas holidays, and since then the sessions are getting better and I feel much better. I am not struggling with my thoughts as much as I used to. When I struggled with my thoughts I struggled with the therapy, and I didn't know if I would ever get better.

I see things a lot clearly now. Even when I have 'blips' and I start to think unhealthily I know how to deal with those thoughts instead of letting it consume me. CBT has taught me to handle my thoughts better and change them into better ones. I am more aware of my thoughts, my thinking patterns and how to deal with them. I know to 'tune out' and to 'counter-attack' those thoughts.

So I guess things are looking up.

Really pleased to hear this :smile: Repped :pierre:
Another thing:

I have learned to become more assertive. Prior to CBT I was always a little bit passive and I always had experiences where people would prevent me from being assertive. However, over time I have learned that I need to be assertive and confident without feeling ashamed of myself. It is still a work in progress but I don't feel scared or guilty if I need to get my point across, plus my confidence is growing gradually. All I need now is an invisible suit of armor that prevents my character from being broken down.

Also, CBT has changed my perceptions. Prior to CBT I had self-esteem issues and I saw myself in a negative light. I tend to overthink things as well and that doesn't help. I always had a poor image of myself and an inferiority complex. Now I am learning to stand tall and not to feel belittled. Plus I see myself in a better light. I know I am not perfect, but just because I am not perfect doesn't mean I am a failure. Also, going through traumatic experiences may have ruined me, but that doesn't mean I deserve to be stigmatized. I am slowly putting myself and my life back together again.

I have a few more sessions to go, and I am still a work in progress, but overall I am so glad I had CBT in the first place. It has helped and it has been so useful for me.

EDIT: I have now finished CBT. I was supposed to have a total of 15 sessions, but I have managed to have 11/15, which is fine because I have progressed so much and I feel as though I have come to the point where I'm done.

I have found it to be so helpful and useful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
CBT helped me a lot, which actually surprised me as I was pretty skeptical about the whole idea.

I was referred by my GP back in 2010, after finally seeking help for my depression (or, more honestly, after my mum forced me to go). It took me a while to get into it, because I was very closed off at the time. Ironically, I learned that the root of my problems lay in the fact that I bottled up my emotions and closed people out. Basically, in 2010, I bottled too much and finally exploded.

CBT has taught me the up-sides of talking about my problems and feelings, and also how to deal with issues in a healthy manner (rather than turning to drugs or alcohol like I used to). It has taught me to want to improve myself and given me motivation to make something of my life. Unfortunately, my trust issues with the people around me couldn't be fixed, but I remember my therapist saying to me one day, "If there really is no one around you that you can talk to or trust, why don't you get away from them?". To this day, I still have that single sentence to thank for the fact that I left England and moved to Beijing. I'm sure she didn't mean it in such a literal way, but it's the best thing I've ever done.

Right now, I have a life here that I love, I have people I trust and I'm doing well. I honestly believe that if I didn't see that therapist and I didn't leave England, I would be dead right now. So I consider CBT to have saved my life.
Reply 98
Some really encouraging words here! I'm 4 sessions down out of 6 counselling sessions, and I've now identified the root of my social anxiety as bullying when I was younger and bottled those emotions partly as a result of being in a family who keep themselves to themselves. I'm looking to be proactive and sort the whole thing as soon as so I'll see how the next couple of sessions go and then I'll see if I can get a referral - possibly for CBT if they think it'll be effective for me. Will keep you posted..
Reply 99

I know how to deal with those thoughts instead of letting it consume me. CBT has taught me to handle my thoughts better and change them into better ones. I am more aware of my thoughts, my thinking patterns and how to deal with them. I know to 'tune out' and to 'counter-attack' those thoughts.

Hello Dee. I've really enjoyed reading through this thread just now. I'd like to tell you my story. I suffered from GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) at the back end of 2010 and after trying multiple online guides and CDs I found I just couldn't stop worrying so I was referred for GAD. It got to a stage where normal things in my life I just couldn't do because I was so scared that something bad would happen. At that time I was under 21 so I was on my Mother's private health insurance so didn't have to wait very long for counselling to begin. I had the most amazing councillor and had about 8 sessions with him, one every few weeks. We did a variety of activities, from filling out Thought Record Sheets, to Worry Exposure and after about the 4th/5th session I started to feel really great. I'll always be a bit of a worrier, but, I managed to get my life back on track. My councillor traced these thoughts back to being bullied at school, and My Dad losing somebody close to him suddenly, and even those these things had happened a few years prior, he said they were the cause.

By about Feb/March 2011 I was feeling great, I took trips to Russia and Israel, places I'd simply have been too scared to visit before hand. And 2011, 2012 and most of 2013 were pretty great for me.

However unfortunately, in November 2013 my worries started to come back, after a few really good years and I really struggled with things. I've not been able to see a councillor this time due to restraints, and things were pretty negative for me since I returned home from university abroad for Christmas and New Year, I found myself getting scared over everyday issues and even turning into a bit of a hypercondriac, I've been a bit of a mess mentally as of late. However, after a few really good chats with my Mother, somebody who worried in her youth and suffered from something similar, I am starting to get my thoughts under control once again, and am taking the fight to them, and damn does it feel good. You have to fight back. So that's me. Difficult to say why it has come back recently, but I'm keen to win again this time :smile:

Keep posting your updates, I enjoy them, would be great to discuss this with you. The interesting thing I find as I read people's posts on here is that, most people it seems to be about self-confidence, in terms of, they worry that they are worthless. For me, it's never been that, that's only ever been minor in terms of affecting my chances (or at least what I think are my chances) at a relationship, for me, I've always worried that something bad is going to happen.

Has anybody else had General Anxiety Disorder?

Quick Reply

Latest