The Student Room Group

Surely this isn't true?

Ok - So I'm doing English, Modern Studies, Politics and Media Studies highers this year. Just found out modern studies is overall worth 80 marks. Apparently they just add all the marks together and use the general formula for working out percentage.. I worked this out and at around 56 out of 80 marks is an A/70%... Surely this cannot be right!? That seems a bit... easy?

Anyone taken the higher already?
Any ideas on the marking scheme? Would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
Dont complain! :biggrin:
Yeah that's right.

Remember that 70% might not be enough for an A in each specific year. e.g. in 2002, 2004, 2005 you needed 57/80 for an A instead of 56/80.
Reply 3
That works out for Mod Studs to be 7/10 on each essay, 7/10 on the DME questions and 14/20 on the DME report.
I found it helpful when setting targets to break it down into elements like that
Reply 4
I thought about that last year it is pretty easy as long as you nail the DME report and get 10/10 on the easy DME Q's. Then you have a lot of slack for the essays.
Acaila
That works out for Mod Studs to be 7/10 on each essay, 7/10 on the DME questions and 14/20 on the DME report.
I found it helpful when setting targets to break it down into elements like that

Doing a crash Higher in Mod Studs this year and enjoying it immensely. However, had the prelim not too long ago and wrote absolutely too much, though I did manage to complete in time and got an A. The amount that I wrote appears, in hindsight, ridiculous and unnecessary.

How many words / sheets, on average, can be expected for a 10 mark essay?
Reply 6
Bearing in mind that I haven't done mod studs in a year, I think about a page and a half (I think!). Not on my laptop so I can't do a word count for you.
Asked my bf who also did mod studs last year and he can't remember but thinks it's more the amount of time rather than length you should go by, which is a fair point imo.

In the prelim, I spent 2 minutes exactly on the Income and Wealth essay and still got 3 and a half, despite not having studied the topic by then :redface:

What I thought was think of ten bullet points, write them in sentence form with an intro, and if necessary a conclusion, and there you go. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending