Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who has guinea pigs?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell me what breed of guinea pigs you have, what their names are, what they're like etc. I'm interested to see how many people actually have them.
    I have two, ones long haired and one's shorthaired, and they're called Coffee and Biscuit. Biscuit is quite shy but Coffee is always out and about
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have twenty.

3 Perus - Einstein, Tess, Ozzy
    3 Coronet X - Skye, Kalani, Sora
    2 Crested - Jess and Jenny
    3 Abby - Tigger, Munchie, Chip
    8 Short haired Smooths - Malteaser, Izzy, Flossie, Panda, Butterscotch, Muffin, Bean, Leah
    1 Crossbreed - Willow

Ozzy and Sora are buddies and live together, Teaser and Chip are a girl/neutered boy pair and are happily married and Einstein, the lucky bugger, calls all the other 15 girls his own.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wheat and Barley are Dutch Rexes (girls). They're very scrabbly!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbusterbunny)
    I have twenty.

3 Perus - Einstein, Tess, Ozzy
    3 Coronet X - Skye, Kalani, Sora
    2 Crested - Jess and Jenny
    3 Abby - Tigger, Munchie, Chip
    8 Short haired Smooths - Malteaser, Izzy, Flossie, Panda, Butterscotch, Muffin, Bean, Leah
    1 Crossbreed - Willow

Ozzy and Sora are buddies and live together, Teaser and Chip are a girl/neutered boy pair and are happily married and Einstein, the lucky bugger, calls all the other 15 girls his own.
    Wow 20 guinea pigs!! I wish I had that many but I don't have enough room to keep them all. It must be a lot of work cleaning them out and feeding them all :confused:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did when I was a kid, we had a brown short haired one called Gem with red eyes, and Magic, a texel with a white body and black head and a half orange face. We'd give them fresh veg in the morning and as soon as the fridge opened we'd hear them shouting at us hehe
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had one. (It wasn't mine, but i looked after it for a while) I don't know what breed it was but it was ginger with a white patch on it's belly. I named it 'The Stig' or 'Stig the pig'
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4nurul3)
    Wow 20 guinea pigs!! I wish I had that many but I don't have enough room to keep them all. It must be a lot of work cleaning them out and feeding them all :confused:
    It was actually harder when I had 9 as I had 5 hutches to clean out! Now I have two hutches and a shed floor ~ which takes less time to clean than hutches.

Feeding them is fine - they just eat a LOT. Gotta buy everything in bulk and hay/shavings by the bale rather than by the bag.

*shrug* Wouldn't have it any other way, they're great.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My kids have got 2, Fluffy is 4 years old with very long hair which is bad for us as she pees and then sits in it for hours so she is bathed once a week, our newest one is Frank who is a black swiss with a white flash around his mouth, he is just over a year old and weighs 4 pounds of pure muscle and he talks a lot.

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4nurul3)
    Tell me what breed of guinea pigs you have, what their names are, what they're like etc. I'm interested to see how many people actually have them.
    I have two, ones long haired and one's shorthaired, and they're called Coffee and Biscuit. Biscuit is quite shy but Coffee is always out and about
    2 female short haired guinea pigs
    1 is dutch (black & white) and the other one is brown & white
    Josie (black & white) is fairly hyper and doesn't let anybody stroke her
    Poppy (brown & white) is fairly chubby and placid and lets anyone stroke her if you're gentle enough
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey, pleased i found this topic

piggies are one of the animals im considering getting (rats being another) we have hamsters and a mouse already

just got a few questions

are they expensive to look after?

how big a cage do they need, could someone post a example (along with price) of one

is it ok to get two or is it best to have more?

what best boy/boy or girl/girl?

are they nocturnal or are they awake through the day?

do they make a lot of noise?

can they wander about the house alone or will they chew/bite things?

are they friendly? do they bite you?

can you cuddle and stroke them or are they like hamsters and always want to be out exploring?

how much do they cost from a pet shop?

what do they eat?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    are they expensive to look after?
    Not particularly. It's expensive to start out with piggies as obviously you need to pay for the cage/accessories etc.

how big a cage do they need, could someone post a example (along with price) of one
    At minimum a 120cm cage for a pair. Something like this is ideal (and at the moment very reasonably priced). Pet shops will tell you a 100 cage (or smaller) is suitable for a pair, but trust me; the extra space is necessary and you'll get much more out of piggies if they have the space to be guinea pigs.

is it ok to get two or is it best to have more?
    Two is fine, they need company so I'd either have two, or 4+ (not a trio as you get one left out). But if you're starting out, definitely two!

what best boy/boy or girl/girl?
    Totally up to you. Boys can smell a bit more than girls; but I actually find boys to be friendlier than girls.

are they nocturnal or are they awake through the day?
    They are nappers, they don't 'sleep' like a hamster - so they will be active at all times depending on when they nap.

do they make a lot of noise?
    Generally no, but they soon learn to link sounds with food and will wheek at you when they want food - like this.

can they wander about the house alone or will they chew/bite things?
    If you mean out of the cage, they can but not on their own. They will chew things as they investigate things with their mouths. If you want to let them out of the cage I would suggest a playpen with walls and a fleece blankie to catch any 'accidents'.

are they friendly? do they bite you?
    I have had 36 guinea pigs, not one of them has bitten me. You've got to severely irk a guinea pig for it to bite. They are not like hamsters that are easily tamed, but they will, on the whole, happily sit for cuddles and will start coming up to you in time. Taming a guinea pig is a long process - they are naturally prey animals and WILL run away from you; some guinea pigs never stop doing that.

can you cuddle and stroke them or are they like hamsters and always want to be out exploring?
    I covered the cuddling, but the exploring - depends on the pig! I've got one girl that won't sit still and is always on the go but most of my pigs will sit still!

how much do they cost from a pet shop?
    I would recommend a rescue above a pet shop all the time. By going rescue you know you're getting healthy, sexed, non-pregnant piggies - I've got 15 pigs from the same rescue and all of them have been absolutely perfect for me! However, if you choose to go to a pet shop, you're looking at anything from £10-22 per pig; depending on where you go.

what do they eat?
    Guinea pig pellets/muesli (I would always recommend pellets); hay (should make up 80% of their diet) and fruit/vegetables (I can give you a list if you want).

Hope that helps!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a guinea pig called Dusty who was white and brown, and she was soo sweet and intelligent she'd squeak noisily if she heard the back door open because she knew someone was going out there to get grass for her
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly. It's expensive to start out with piggies as obviously you need to pay for the cage/accessories etc.

At minimum a 120cm cage for a pair. Something like this is ideal (and at the moment very reasonably priced). Pet shops will tell you a 100 cage (or smaller) is suitable for a pair, but trust me; the extra space is necessary and you'll get much more out of piggies if they have the space to be guinea pigs.

Two is fine, they need company so I'd either have two, or 4+ (not a trio as you get one left out). But if you're starting out, definitely two!

Totally up to you. Boys can smell a bit more than girls; but I actually find boys to be friendlier than girls.

They are nappers, they don't 'sleep' like a hamster - so they will be active at all times depending on when they nap.

Generally no, but they soon learn to link sounds with food and will wheek at you when they want food - like this.

If you mean out of the cage, they can but not on their own. They will chew things as they investigate things with their mouths. If you want to let them out of the cage I would suggest a playpen with walls and a fleece blankie to catch any 'accidents'.

I have had 36 guinea pigs, not one of them has bitten me. You've got to severely irk a guinea pig for it to bite. They are not like hamsters that are easily tamed, but they will, on the whole, happily sit for cuddles and will start coming up to you in time. Taming a guinea pig is a long process - they are naturally prey animals and WILL run away from you; some guinea pigs never stop doing that.

I covered the cuddling, but the exploring - depends on the pig! I've got one girl that won't sit still and is always on the go but most of my pigs will sit still!

I would recommend a rescue above a pet shop all the time. By going rescue you know you're getting healthy, sexed, non-pregnant piggies - I've got 15 pigs from the same rescue and all of them have been absolutely perfect for me! However, if you choose to go to a pet shop, you're looking at anything from £10-22 per pig; depending on where you go.

Guinea pig pellets/muesli (I would always recommend pellets); hay (should make up 80% of their diet) and fruit/vegetables (I can give you a list if you want).

Hope that helps!
    oh wow some great advice there, thank so so much

yes i would love a list of food that they can have if you dont mind please
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    oh wow some great advice there, thank so so much

yes i would love a list of food that they can have if you dont mind please
    http://www.milhaven-rescue.com/feeding-your-piggy/ - this is a good page.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.milhaven-rescue.com/feeding-your-piggy/ - this is a good page.
    thank you again, i rated your other post, i will rate this one when i can

you're very helpful, thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had 10 guinea pigs (not all at the same time) during childhood with the last one being when I was 17. After 9 years without them I convinced my boyfriend to let me get two. So I rescued two about 1.5 weeks ago. They are called Lise and Lotta. Both are short-haired. Lise is totally white and quite chubby! Lotta is black and white and a lot slimmer. They are almost 4. I love guineas so much!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have one boy. He is a rescue and has major issues with other pigs however quite happy with my other animals. His name is Bubbles, around 3 years old and is a albino shorthair.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    *sqeak squeak*
    I really want a guinea pig - they seem so friendly

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to have two - Hazler and Cindy. They both lived till they were like 9/10 - very old Guinea Pigs!
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awhhhh I miss mine - They were called Goldie and Sylvia and they had lots of rosettes
    Sylvia lived till she was 11 and the vet said she was the oldest guinea pig she had ever seen =/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.