Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Changing Durham College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by annabel1994
I have no qualms about claiming night time epilepsy.

Would the excuse of 'I have a tendency to accidently rape people in my sleep' be a step too far?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by 007dunlop
Would the excuse of 'I have a tendency to accidently rape people in my sleep' be a step too far?

Nothing is too far when trying to get a single room!
Does everyone feel this way or do some people want to share? Because if everyone wants a single then me begging and claiming to be a sleepwalking rapist isn't going to work..
Reply 22
Single rooms go to anyone with an actual medical condition first (you will need actual proof) and then for everyone else its pretty much just luck. If single rooms are so important why didn't you apply for a college with guaranteed single rooms?
Reply 23
Original post by pyro2312
Single rooms go to anyone with an actual medical condition first (you will need actual proof) and then for everyone else its pretty much just luck. If single rooms are so important why didn't you apply for a college with guaranteed single rooms?

Durham was never a real option for me, I put it down as an insurance. Therefore I didn't look into it extensively and made an open application.
Original post by miscellanea
old, central, famous for its community spirit, drama society and has a college newspaper:smile: Not dissimilar to John's, but less religious. Plus they are both in Pool B, so hopefully it will make it easier for me to change - the worst they can do is say no!

There aren't any really religious colleges. And frankly, Hatfield has a bit of a reputation..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pyro2312

Yeah I obviously thought that would be the case, plus I would never actually claim a medical condition, I'd just be really disgruntled for a while if I ended up with a shared room.
And the statistics for St Chads are misleading which was what I didn't realise when I applied there, the percentage of shared rooms is small but apparently they almost all go to first years which means my chances of sharing are considerably higher..
In fact, does anyone who is actually AT Durham University know if this is true? Because if I've got something wrong then I could be worrying for completely nothing!
Yeah I obviously thought that would be the case, plus I would never actually claim a medical condition, I'd just be really disgruntled for a while if I ended up with a shared room.
And the statistics for St Chads are misleading which was what I didn't realise when I applied there, the percentage of shared rooms is small but apparently they almost all go to first years which means my chances of sharing are considerably higher..
In fact, does anyone who is actually AT Durham University know if this is true? Because if I've got something wrong then I could be worrying for completely nothing!

The room sharing stats have been updated so it's much clearer how many people will actually have to share.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/choosing/

It says 67% of rooms are shared, so if there are 2 people in every shared room, that would be 134/167 people sharing I think? (If there were 100 Freshers, obviously scaled up or down to the actual number of Freshers. I think Chad's does have roughly 100 people in each year group though).

So if you don't have a medical condition, it looks pretty likely that you'll be sharing.
Reply 27
Original post by undergradstudent
The room sharing stats have been updated so it's much clearer how many people will actually have to share.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/choosing/

It says 67% of rooms are shared, so if there are 2 people in every shared room, that would be 134/167 people sharing I think? (If there were 100 Freshers, obviously scaled up or down to the actual number of Freshers. I think Chad's does have roughly 100 people in each year group though).

So if you don't have a medical condition, it looks pretty likely that you'll be sharing.

My reading of that page is that 67% of the first year rooms are shared. It also indicates that there are 67 first year rooms. To get to 67 rooms, the intake would need to be around 110, with 88 first years sharing 44 shared rooms and 22 in single rooms. That gives a total of 66 rooms, two thirds of which were shared, which is pretty much bang on the numbers in the table. The intake seems a bit high for Chad's but not implausible. Pretty much everyone is concerned about the possibility of sharing but in practice pretty much everyone that has to do it finds that it's not a problem after all. Most Colleges put a lot of effort into trying to allocate people to share who are compatible based on information about interests etc that they ask for in August. Besides, it means that you get to know people that bit more easily at the start, since you get to meet all the people you would meet anyway plus all the people they get to know as well. Plus there's always someone to go to meals with.
Original post by astro67
My reading of that page is that 67% of the first year rooms are shared. It also indicates that there are 67 first year rooms. To get to 67 rooms, the intake would need to be around 110, with 88 first years sharing 44 shared rooms and 22 in single rooms. That gives a total of 66 rooms, two thirds of which were shared, which is pretty much bang on the numbers in the table. The intake seems a bit high for Chad's but not implausible. Pretty much everyone is concerned about the possibility of sharing but in practice pretty much everyone that has to do it finds that it's not a problem after all. Most Colleges put a lot of effort into trying to allocate people to share who are compatible based on information about interests etc that they ask for in August. Besides, it means that you get to know people that bit more easily at the start, since you get to meet all the people you would meet anyway plus all the people they get to know as well. Plus there's always someone to go to meals with.

I think you're right, I seem to have mistyped a bit in my post - I somehow made 167 = 100 :s-smilie:
Reply 29

Thank you for your advice! If you don't mind me asking, what was your situation with changing colleges and which one did you end up at?
p.s. please can you link me the admissions contact details? I can only find Durham Student Ambassadors, which I'm not convinced is the right one.

I think it's 0191 334 6128 this is for durham undergrad admissions, and then they will most likely give you a number to contact your individual college.
I applied to university college but was given St Hild and St Bede, but i've looked into it and I think I really like it. I don't think they wouldn put you in a college if they didn't think you'd fit in.

I have no qualms about claiming night time epilepsy.

They require a doctor's note.
Original post by velociraptor

There aren't any really religious colleges. And frankly, Hatfield has a bit of a reputation..

It does. I heard that all the other college's college song includes an anti-Hatfield part. It goes back to the days when they wrote placards with "Your dad works for my dad" on them.
Reply 32

Uh oh :/ I applied to castle but got allocated Hatfield and am now desperately trying to gather information about it. Please expand or pm me pretty please
Reply 33
I'm at Durham in Van Milderts and I have loads of friends in Johns who aren't christian! It's not overly religious at all I don't know who told you that?! Only about 50% are christian. And you aren't gonna have to 'explain yourself' to anyone about not being christian lol! Also, there is no point trying to move colleges they won't let you : / but you'll love whatever college you get into : D
Original post by DaitaG
Uh oh :/ I applied to castle but got allocated Hatfield and am now desperately trying to gather information about it. Please expand or pm me pretty please

Most people are perfectly fine, but there is a lot of snobbery at formals. There is also a lot of drinking at the said formals which I'm not a fan of.
I'm sure it will be fine if you live there. Most undergrads are friendly, no matter which college they go to :wink:
Reply 35
why do you want to get into Hatfield?

THIS. Have you not seen the Durham memes?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3117801380551&set=o.321769851201990&type=1&theater

RAH!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
I originally applied to St. Johns as it was old / central / small (so figured it would have a good community spirit) (would be just like Oxbridge) without having had the chance to visit but all I hear is how it is super religious.

Reply 38

so good! i'm loving these memes, really brightens up my day. the magnitude of stockton ones make me feel a little bit sorry for them tho! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Most people are perfectly fine, but there is a lot of snobbery at formals. There is also a lot of drinking at the said formals which I'm not a fan of.
I'm sure it will be fine if you live there. Most undergrads are friendly, no matter which college they go to :wink:

Thank you! Snobbery in what sense exactly? Ahaha I don't mind the drinking too much :colone:

...okay that face looks creepier than expected :P

Quick Reply

Latest