Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

wearing heels through the day

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never wear high heels, but some days I wear boots and a couple of my pairs have quite thin (but not stilletto) heels. I never actually fall over in them but at least once a day I put my foot down wrong and I nearly stumble.

When I'm in bed (without the boots on !!!!!) and I'm trying to get to sleep, I get to that stage where you're sooo close to actually being asleep it's rediculous, and then my feet/ lower legs wobble, like they do when I stumble in my boots and I'm awake again!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else get this????? it's annoying, although as I walk to college most days, I don't wear them often.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Before bed, take a very warm shower to relax your muscles. Drink a glass of Gatorade and take a potassium pill. Also, certain teas such as chammomile or 'sleep time tea' will help you relax you. These suggestions should relax the muscles, and help to eliminate the problem." those could help and i don't get foot twitches. i get leg twitches sometimes , not often though.
    • 145 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wear heels all the time, usually quite high ones too. Between 4-7 inches including platform and heel. I'm used to walking in mine though and therefore don't get that feeling. Perhaps you need to practice walking in them a little more? Try wearing them to a social event first rather than as every day wear. If you're on your feet all day and wearing high heels, they'll ache quicker!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, I can't wear high heels . . . my boots are an inch probably not more than two !!!!! but theyre quite chunky at the top but quite thin at the bottom.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a boyfriend, get a massage, profit.
    • 145 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    Like I said, I can't wear high heels . . . my boots are an inch probably not more than two !!!!! but theyre quite chunky at the top but quite thin at the bottom.
    Ahh I see, sorry I didn't realise they were quite so small!

I'm not sure then I'm afraid. Go with what the poster above me said. :mmm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the jolt when you're close to sleeping is a "Hypnic Jerk" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk
    It's quite common and as far as I know nothing to do with heels.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allwordsaredust)
    I think the jolt when you're close to sleeping is a "Hypnic Jerk" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk
    It's quite common and as far as I know nothing to do with heels.
    Thanks I get a bit of that falling sensation when it happens, even though i can never actually remember falling completely to the floor in heels.

Then how come I only get it when I've been wearing heels???
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I get a bit of that falling sensation when it happens, even though i can never actually remember falling completely to the floor in heels.

Maybe it's just coincidence?

I struggle to walk in heels if they are over a couple of inches as I'm just not used to them. I tend to wear thicker heels to help keep my balance and make sure I wear thicker socks to stop my feet moving around in them.

Practice makes perfect!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

Maybe you should wear some heels around the house for a bit to get used to them? I think it's a practise thing. I wear heels all the time and I'm fine, it's flats that hurt me.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    if i buy any heels i tend to wear them about the house for a couple of days before i go outside in them, just so i can get used to the heel, and how it hits the floor, because i've found some are harder to get used to than others
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I get that 'shaking leg' things sometimes. Its not because of heels though, just randomly. Ive noticed it halps if you sleep on your side, one leg on top of the other x
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maleeha207)
    Yea, I get that 'shaking leg' things sometimes. Its not because of heels though, just randomly. Ive noticed it halps if you sleep on your side, one leg on top of the other x
    At least i'm not the only one. I almsot always sleep on my side already though . . .
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serano)
    Get a boyfriend, get a massage, profit.
    I like your thinking!

<3 x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    I like your thinking!

<3 x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    At least i'm not the only one. I almsot always sleep on my side already though . . .
    I actually looked this up yesterday. I found out that stress could be a major factor. Other than that it said things like not enough sleep, feeling tense etc.
    So I guess you just need to relax x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would expect that's because of the pressure and strain your muscles are under while you wear them.

Are you relaxing the muscles in your foot and calf when you take them off?

if you're not used to wearing heels then ankle strengthening exercises can be fantastic. And gentle pressure with the fingertips on the sole of the foot for a a few minutes can relieve a lot of stress.

I'm a "heelaholic" and I find that after a really long day in heels if I take a can of coke from the fridge, put it on the ground (so it can roll) then put my foot on it and roll the can with my foot, the cold and the pressure on the arch of the foot, stops my feet from aching anywhere near as much.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never wear high heels, but some days I wear boots and a couple of my pairs have quite thin (but not stilletto) heels. I never actually fall over in them but at least once a day I put my foot down wrong and I nearly stumble.

When I'm in bed (without the boots on !!!!!) and I'm trying to get to sleep, I get to that stage where you're sooo close to actually being asleep it's rediculous, and then my feet/ lower legs wobble, like they do when I stumble in my boots and I'm awake again!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else get this????? it's annoying, although as I walk to college most days, I don't wear them often.
    I don't wear heels, (only very rarely for fun) But I still get this feeling...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    At least I'm not the only one . . .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do wear heels all day normally around 5 inches. As long as you don't walk too much its fine with practice. My job requires me to wear such shoes so I wear them full day even on campus before I go to work.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.