The Student Room Group

anyone on here that suffers from scoliosis?

Hey,looking for anyone on here who suffers from scoliosis and has undergone the spinal fusion.I'm having it next month and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me?
did you have to wear a catheter in hospital as i'm a teenager i immaturely overthink these things and would feel embarrassed to wear one haha?
how did your curve improve?
how long were you in hospital?
just tell me everything was it scary etc etc?
thanks so much:colondollar:
Reply 1
laut_biru
x

Your expertise is needed. :adore:
Reply 2
I have scoliosis, albeit only mildly. The top of my spine leans to the left and has left me with a couple of deformed ribs. Apart from losing half an inch or so of my height (not a problem when I stand at 6'3) the actual scoliosis gives me no problems. The actual cause of the scoliosis is what gives me the most problems, and leaves me in pain quite a lot of the time with one inflamed vertebrae joint towards the bottom of my back and problems with my hips and legs making it stiff/difficult to sit for long periods of time/other things.

Good luck though :smile:
Reply 3
Hi, I had my operation in July of last year.
Yes, I did have to wear a catheter and felt the same way as you before the operation, but trust me with everything else that's going on you get over it fairly quickly. Plus, you don't really feel it. You didn't mention whether you suffered from a lot of pain in your back, but I did and it really improves it. Mine still hurts a bit but only because my posture is crap, and it's still nothing compared to what it was before. The curve itself also improved loads.

I was in hospital for 10 days, and yes, it did suck. But tell the nurses whenever you're in pain and they'll usually get you something for it. Oh, and they might give you this thing to breathe in, make sure you do it. Getting a chest infection after the operation isn't good.

So I hope I've been of some help, and that all goes well with your operation. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by superwolf
Your expertise is needed. :adore:

I see.

Yeah, I had a catheter in during the hospital stay. It's kinda necessary at first, and really not that bad. Just be careful when they get you up and about, because that can be uncomfortable.

As for improvement, well, that really depends on the nature of your individual curve, tbh. They should do bending x-rays pre-op (not the most fun, unfortunately), which show how well your spine corrects in that position. The more it corrects, the more correction you should get. It's not hugely about correction though, more about preventing things getting worse.

I had complications with pain not being well controlled (that's to do with my not responding well to opiates), and I was only inpatient for a week and a half. Normally it's a much shorter time.

I'm pretty sure you know it's scary, tbh :tongue: That said, the surgeons have a lot of experience in performing this operation, and the nurses have a lot of experience in the aftercare. It is painful at first, but for most people morphine does a great job in controlling that.

Can I ask which hospital you're having surgery at?
Original post by pinkmascaragirl

Original post by pinkmascaragirl
Hey,looking for anyone on here who suffers from scoliosis and has undergone the spinal fusion.I'm having it next month and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me?
did you have to wear a catheter in hospital as i'm a teenager i immaturely overthink these things and would feel embarrassed to wear one haha?
how did your curve improve?
how long were you in hospital?
just tell me everything was it scary etc etc?
thanks so much:colondollar:

Hi, I had one in 2005, so things might have changed a bit, but here goes:
- Yes, I had a catheter, but frankly I was far too groggy / drugged up to care much about it.
- My curve went from 86 degrees to somewhere in single figures.
- I was in hospital for a week, mostly dosed up to the eyeballs with morphine for the first four days or so.
- It wasn't a lot of fun, but it probably did need doing. I haven't let it stop me do anything since - I learned to fly, skydived, worked as a farmhand, gone to uni, gone travelling, done DofE etc. since having the op, and no one would have a clue if it wasn't for either (a) the scar, (b) the wonky shoulder blade or (c) me telling them (close friends).

Strangely enough, when I came home I found that I could no longer sleep on a normal mattress (the ones in hospital were fancy airy ones). What I did find comfortable, however, was an airbed, mostly (but not fully) inflated, so that it moulds to the shape of my back and supports it all, then put on top of a normal bed / mattress so that you don't have to struggle with getting up / down. I actually used one in preference to a regular mattress for several years after the op, but I can now sleep on most mattresses. Definitely worth buying one in advance, just in case IMHO. NB make sure you don't get one of the 'sausage' ones - it should be one that's one big pocket of air, like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-ABD051NV-Single-Flock-Airbed/dp/B000W4CV9M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1327106888&sr=8-6 but ideally with shallower 'dimples'.
Reply 6
i have recently been diagnosed with scoliosis and my curve is currently at 45degrees and still moving. i have pain in my hips,knee's, shoulders and chest that were all bein put down to growing pains until november of last year.. im seeing a surgeon this friday and scared hes going to offer me the surgery.. as my friend who also has scoliosis at a 55degree angle claims surgery causes more bad then good and that the scoliosisclinic is apprently the best place to go as it improves your curve? im 17 in 2 weeks and the hump is embarressing. wtf do i do? i dont wanna look horrible.. scared of ops and cant afford 5000 to go to some clinic :/
Reply 7
I am asking this question because most people undergo this surgery in their adolescent years rather than adulthood , as it has less risks because the spine is still not fully developed.
I am contemplating getting it done but i am pretty nervous about it. Has anyone ever had this surgery done to correct it this late in their lives?? Thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by CMedical
I am asking this question because most people undergo this surgery in their adolescent years rather than adulthood , as it has less risks because the spine is still not fully developed.
I am contemplating getting it done but i am pretty nervous about it. Has anyone ever had this surgery done to correct it this late in their lives?? Thanks.

How late is this late?

I was 20 at the time of my surgery.
Original post by MinnieFizz

Original post by MinnieFizz
i have recently been diagnosed with scoliosis and my curve is currently at 45degrees and still moving. i have pain in my hips,knee's, shoulders and chest that were all bein put down to growing pains until november of last year.. im seeing a surgeon this friday and scared hes going to offer me the surgery.. as my friend who also has scoliosis at a 55degree angle claims surgery causes more bad then good and that the scoliosisclinic is apprently the best place to go as it improves your curve? im 17 in 2 weeks and the hump is embarressing. wtf do i do? i dont wanna look horrible.. scared of ops and cant afford 5000 to go to some clinic :/

I'm going for the surgery in two weeks! :O Yeah i'm about 30% excited 70% terrified but i've been told it's all worth it in the end.I think surgery really is your only option apart from bracing if you haven't had it already? :smile:
Reply 10
hi!
im due 2 operations in june to help my double scoliosis, my top curve is 57degrees, and bottom 53 degrees, which means mine doesnt look to bad, because im only out about 4 degrees really, but it hurts a lot, and i get up sometimes and i just ont feel right? if that makes sense, i feel like im bending round, and its horrible,
if you could let me know how your sugery goes i'd be so gratefull!
Yeah of course I will,I'm going in next Thursday so I'll give you an update as soon as possible! Have you had or are you considering the surgery?:biggrin:
I have it as a result of Neurofibromatosis
Reply 13
Hey, not sure if I should start a new thread or just reply to this one. I have scoliosis and wore a back brace when I was younger (ages 12-14 more or less). My curve is only around 30 degrees so I doubt I'll get surgery, but I really wish it was an option for me. I get a lot of pain and already had 2 slipped discs as a result of the weaknesses in the ligaments holding my spine, and I had to get surgery for these.

Does anyone know if spinal fusions are offered for smaller curves like mine? Considering all the problems it causes?
Im also not sure if i should start a new thread but can anyone tell me how the surgery made you feel in terms of confidence?
Reply 15
Don't**

Latest