The Student Room Group

AQA FP2 Jan 20th Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hassi94
Ah thank god people feel the same way. I think I got everything right but then I hit the last question. Probably looking at between 65 and 68 at best :/

do not complain about 65-68. I answered 4 questions- and i have an offer from cambridge. I can kiss that goodbye.
Reply 41
How many marks out of 75 do you reckon it will be for an A and a B. Can someone give me a guess on what it will probably be please. :s-smilie:
Reply 42
Original post by Luke Y
How many marks out of 75 do you reckon it will be for an A and a B. Can someone give me a guess on what it will probably be please. :s-smilie:

I don't know for a B but for an A I reckon about 55, and A* ( 90 UMS ) probably about 63/64 .... this is just based on June 2011 grade boundaries for this exam because it was a hard exam then, although i certainly found this one harder.

I think o will be on the A / B boundary for this exam which is really disheartening as i had been getting about 71 or above on all the past papers.
Reply 43
When i did the june 2011 paper for a mock i got 60/75. This one was definitely harder im guessing an A will be like 52/53 and a B 46/47 do they seem reasonable?
Reply 44
I agree, we did jun 11 as mock also. On that paper i got 70, this was way harder, ill be lucky to have picked up 50ish :frown: it was just horrible... praying for 20/75 to be 90 UMS :tongue:, lol, then i woke up!
Reply 45
Original post by romtom55
I agree, we did jun 11 as mock also. On that paper i got 70, this was way harder, ill be lucky to have picked up 50ish :frown: it was just horrible... praying for 20/75 to be 90 UMS :tongue:, lol, then i woke up!

I think i got around 50 marks if im lucky. reality probably got like 45-50 something like that. Hopefully thats a B. Fingers crossed. :s-smilie:
I think I got something like 45-50. That's just not fair considering the amount of time I spent revising for this exam.
Reply 47
Original post by Europe Skies
I think I got something like 45-50. That's just not fair considering the amount of time I spent revising for this exam.

Thats exactly how i feel. I did all 12 exam papers twice over. and then that exam was so unfair. Stupid! :frown:
It was a difficult paper, most of the questions seemed was phrased pretty nastily (plus definitely lacking in structure and accessibility- no steps or hints to many of the questions), compared to past papers; for example the loci question (no.2) was in a pretty different format, & the deMoivres was unusual to say the least, and I don't think I understood the last question at all, (currently looking at about 40/75 raw, I reckon, because my integrations sucked) however, I suppose that is a consequence of sitting a paper that hasn't had the spec. revised in a long time, and especially with FP2 and all the quirky directions examiners can take it in.
So yeah, fairly harsh paper (not liking not having a method of differences question), but overall, think I could have done better if I hadn't panicked so much- was gettting sort of high 60s, low 70s in the past papers, and definitely not done that in this exam!
Reply 49
Yeah thats about the marks i normally get. I was so confident for that exam, then i looked through the questions and i felt like walking out the exam. Atleast the alpha beta question was alright(ish) lol that was a few marks. :redface:
Reply 50
Original post by Luke Y

i think about 51/75 for an A
Reply 51
Original post by oh_1993
i think about 51/75 for an A

what about a B?
Reply 52
Original post by Luke Y
what about a B?

in my core 4 paper last year, which was also way harder than any of the past papers, you needed 65/75 to get 100 UMS, 58/75 for 90, 51 for an A and 46 for a B
I think this paper was slightly harder so I expect grade boundaries may be even lower than this. Fingers crossed.
Original post by oh_1993
in my core 4 paper last year, which was also way harder than any of the past papers, you needed 65/75 to get 100 UMS, 58/75 for 90, 51 for an A and 46 for a B
I think this paper was slightly harder so I expect grade boundaries may be even lower than this. Fingers crossed.

Gotta remember though that people sitting FM are much better on average than single maths candidates. Its expected (unfairly) that the exam will be moderately tougher for the same boundaries anyway.

I'm totally in the same boat as all you guys though. The last question....lol. Couldn't even start the induction question (as i have a habbit of doing it in my head before i start on paper- and i couldn't start in my head :frown: ) so i just left it. Also i didn't really do any of the argand question after just drawing the circle and the line. :frown:

That said i had literally answered 4 questions until 20 minutes before the end of the exam. Had some inspiration on the de moivres question (as i'd never seen anything like it before- self taught and only started on sunday lol) and think i cranked a full mark solution out (integers being 2 and 3, which seems to be in agreement with others on here). Then i found my error in the alpha-beta question which had lead me to all sorts of contradictions and sorted that out...but yeah, still count about 18 unanswered marks, so im on 57/75 MAX which is NEVER going to be 90ums like i need...:s-smilie:
Reply 54
Original post by DavidMRoper
do not complain about 65-68. I answered 4 questions- and i have an offer from cambridge. I can kiss that goodbye.

Don't give up, David. If you received an offer, I'm sure you will be good enough to meet the requirements :smile:

Like many other dedicated TSR members, I did all the past papers and felt quite confident going into the exam. I had not scored below 90% on any of the past papers, but yesterdays paper was markedly different in style. I think it was a bit of a shock for everyone!
Reply 55
Original post by Wisham
I got 2 and 3 for P and Q, by comparing real and imaginary coefficiants

Thank God I'm not the only one to get that :smile:

What method did you do to get that? My classmates and I were arguing about what the answer was and I said I am a 100% sure that those are the correct answers...
Original post by alan_9016
Thank God I'm not the only one to get that :smile:

What method did you do to get that? My classmates and I were arguing about what the answer was and I said I am a 100% sure that those are the correct answers...

Idk how he did it...or how you were supposed to, but i'll outline how i got there:

Firstly, recognise that the RHS, i, is actually the complex number cos(pi/2)+isin(pi/2). Then, rewrite the LHS:bring the bottom up and write to the power of -q. Rewrite this bracket as a proper complex number (as in, change cos(pi/12)-isin(pi/12) into cos(pi/12)+isin(-pi/12). Now apply de moivres theorem to both brackets. Then, recall that a shortcut to multiplying complex numbers written in their polar form is to multiply the mods and add the arguments. That gives you p(pi)/8+q(pi)/12=pi/2 because both sides must be equal, which straight away gives you p=2 and q=3 as p and q are both positive integers.
Reply 57
Original post by In One Ear
Idk how he did it...or how you were supposed to, but i'll outline how i got there:

Firstly, recognise that the RHS, i, is actually the complex number cos(pi/2)+isin(pi/2). Then, rewrite the LHS:bring the bottom up and write to the power of -q. Rewrite this bracket as a proper complex number (as in, change cos(pi/12)-isin(pi/12) into cos(pi/12)+isin(-pi/12). Now apply de moivres theorem to both brackets. Then, recall that a shortcut to multiplying complex numbers written in their polar form is to multiply the mods and add the arguments. That gives you p(pi)/8+q(pi)/12=pi/2 because both sides must be equal, which straight away gives you p=2 and q=3 as p and q are both positive integers.

Possibly easier than what I did, I brought up the cos(pi/12)-isin(pi/12), making it to the power of -q, then used de moivre's theorem (cos(-#) = cos(#) and sin(-#) = -sin(#)) times out both brackets, double angle formula then said that i=cos(pi/2) + isin(pi/2) because cos(pi/2) = 0 and isin(pi/2) = 1, therefore cos((3p+2q)pi/24) + isin((3p+2q)pi/24); p=2 and q=3
quite long but got there in the end...
(edited 12 years ago)
I found one equation to express p and q
Then wrote:
"I assume I was meant to find another simultaneous equation, but I didn't have time, but look, p=2 and p=3 works!"
it was so wierd in the exam...it was so hard the kid next to me's head exploded and then i couldnt concentrate because there was blood everywhere and a girl ran out crying... still, i suppose 74/75 is ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending