The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WelshBluebird
I disagree.
It is not a "cover for piracy". Such sites, Limewire included, have perfectly legitimate uses and so should not be shut down just because some people use them for illegal purposes.
Exactly the same with the phone networking. Some people use it for illegal purposes, some do not. No difference at all.

Why?

And exactly the same as youtube, whenever a copyright holder asks for it to be removed, the remove it. I don't get your problem. The same is true for youtube, you can get full length tv shows on there too. But because it is more well known and more popular, the copyright holders go after youtube more than megaupload, so the tv shows are not as on there as much.

What? I am not picking and choosing. The copyright holders are. The current law says that in order to get content removed you need to send a DMCA takedown notices. As far as I am concerned, that means the actions taken by the US DoJ regarding megaupload are illegal, because MegaUpload are complying with the law.

Of course it is policing it. They are told something is illegal, so they remove it. You cannot expect the website owners to check everything that is uploaded. Even youtube does not do that.

TV shows are hardly ever on Youtube. As I said, virtually every episode of virtually every vaguely-popular TV show is easily available on megavideo - illegally. The owners are fully aware of that, and put very little (if any) effort into stopping it, so although you think it's fine because they are following the current law on DMCA takedowns, I don't.

And I'm not even going to dignify your stupid "shut down the telephone network" analogy again. That would be completely and utterly disproportionate on an unbelievable scale and cause untold disruption to every person in the country. It is NOTHING alike.
****ing hell...
Original post by Steevee
FYI. PIPA is still around and just as worrying.

Aside from Obama's stance on refusing to let pass such a bill - and given a major source of his campaign funds come from Silicon Valley, I'm inclined to think he will go through with his threat - PIPA has been loosing significant support in most importantly, the Senate*

Again, neither PIPA or SOPA in their current form, will pass.

If you pull up a copy of PIPA, you see a bunch of names of Senators who sponsored the bill. Even two of the top namers there, Utah Republican Orrin Hatch and Grassley have bailed on the bill. A further 10 senators have also withdrawn their support for the bill.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by MirandaPanda
Aside from Obama's stance on refusing to let pass such a bill - and given a major source of his campaign funds come from Silican Valley, I'm inclined to think he will go through with his threat - PIPA has been loosing significant support in most importantly, the Senate.

Again, neither PIPA or SOPA in their current form, will pass.

This is looking likely, but until both are shelved, we must still be wary.
Original post by Steevee
This is looking likely, but until both are shelved, we must still be wary.

Absolutely; you should never completely relax when there are lobbyists around :tongue:

But I'm glad there was such a unified and strong campaign put forward by the internetz; its helps to counter the otherwise iron grip the studios in Hollywood have over Congress when it comes down to copyright infringement laws.
Original post by callum9999

And I'm not even going to dignify your stupid "shut down the telephone network" analogy again. That would be completely and utterly disproportionate on an unbelievable scale and cause untold disruption to every person in the country. It is NOTHING alike.

If Wikipedia is correct then megaupload has over 180million registrations. (Which is almost 3 times the population of the UK) Sooooooooo......
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
If they shut down FSC...**** WILL GET SERIOUS :angry:
That would be completely and utterly disproportionate on an unbelievable scale.

And the same is true of shutting down an entire site that has perfectly legitimate and legal uses because some people use it for illegal means.
Reply 48
THIS IS WAR!!!!

Meagupload was one of the most essential websites on the internet.

**** THE F.B.I. **** THE USA ACTING AS THE POLICE OF THE WORLD.
Original post by Snagprophet
I still don't understand what gives them the jurisdiction to shut the site down. New Zealand can give up the founders due to the biased extradition treaty which only works in America's interests but the site? It's Chinese.

I'm puzzled now. Since when did the US police f**king China for goodness sakes!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Original post by MirandaPanda
Given a bill actually needs to pass through Congress - which SOPA is nowhere near ever doing in its current form - it obviously won't be able to do **** :rolleyes:

I meant even if it does get passed it won't be effective as there are ways around everything.
Reply 51
Peak times for Swizz beats. :colone:
Reply 52
Worrying.

Luckily TPB seems to remain safe. Of course, TPB is Swedish. But I'd hate if anything happened to it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Very worrying that they feel they have the right to do this.
Reply 54
How? Presumably because copyright infringement on an enormous scale was taking place on their site relatively unabated?

In the vast majority of cases where I've ever seen links to megaupload/megavideo it's for copyright pirated material (be that games, computer programmes or film/tv).

May not be particularly nice to have them shut down, but it's completely understandable why they would.

Is that not because what you were searching for were copyright infringes?
Reply 55
Hackers have took down universalmusic and the department of justice in retaliation.
http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/
What always makes me laugh is the facts they throw around such as: costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content.

I don't know about everyone else but the only reason I watch half the films/tv shows that I do is because I can get it free. Even if they shut down every site out there I wouldn't go out and start buying anything I'm not buying now.
Reply 57
Original post by taidoan
Hackers have took down universalmusic and the department of justice in retaliation.
http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

HAHA this is true as well, I just checked!!!

Go anonymous!!! They're probably the only ones capable of doing this!!!! Plus this is going to rally public support on their side.

This really is a cyber war now between the US government vs the rest of the world.....
Reply 58
Original post by cl_steele
****ing disgraceful! how can i watch house and american dad now?!
why doesnt someone shut down the FBIs site for their illegal activities?
although ... i really do believe these sites should take a leaf out of the pirate bays books and move their operations to a country that will tell the americans in the most impolite way to **** off ... say russia, egypt etc ? :smile:

Buy the boxsets?
Reply 59
SOPAthetic.

Latest

Trending

Trending