The Student Room Group

Responses to I Love You

Hey...
Well, I've been in a relationship for a while, and genuinely feel like I maybe falling in love, although I'm not 100% sure, and I definitely do not want to say it first. I don't know whether to say the three words back, or to stay silent or shrug it off, or making it into a joke, as I would like to say it back but don't take the meaning lightly, and want to truly mean it...
Anyways, thats all besides the point, what has YOUR response been?
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If someone said that to me and I didn't feel it back I normally say "I know, I care about you a lot too" or something along those lines
thanks
I know.
Reply 4

Just don't do this.

Edit: the video doesn't want to load for me, if you can't see it try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZGrF5ZlYws
(edited 12 years ago)
God, don't say it until he does. Definitely makes more trouble than it's worth, my girlfriend said it first, I responded awfully and it sprouted all sorts of issues that weren't resolved for months. So bad.

I think you should leave it until the dynamic has definitely shifted into one of those very close lovey dovey type relationships where it's blindingly obvious that he loves you back (but hasn't said it) before you say it. Or he'll say it first.
Reply 6
I hate this "The girl should never say it first" nonsense. If you feel it, say it. Obviously if you're not getting the vibe that he loves you too, don't venture forth, but if your relationship is going well just say it.
Reply 7
dont panic and reply with "I love me to" that doesnt go down well, otherwise id say not to make a big deal of it and if you think you love each other then surley you should be comfitable enough around each other to say it without being nervious for the response?
Reply 8
Don't make a joke out of it :facepalm:
It takes a lot to say it and guys don't tend to say it unless they mean it!
Making it into a joke would just throw it back in his face :/

You dont have to say it back straight away, my ex said it first way before i did and i waited till i was ready to say it back - i just sorta used to say 'thank you' or smile or kiss him or something like that :smile:
That way he knew i wasnt quite on the same level but not that it didnt mean something to me :smile:
Original post by Unununium
Don't make a joke out of it :facepalm:
It takes a lot to say it and guys don't tend to say it unless they mean it!
Making it into a joke would just throw it back in his face :/

You dont have to say it back straight away, my ex said it first way before i did and i waited till i was ready to say it back - i just sorta used to say 'thank you' or smile or kiss him or something like that :smile:
That way he knew i wasnt quite on the same level but not that it didnt mean something to me :smile:

True true
Yeah, I guess I would sort of feel some kinda obligation to say it back, but I don't want him to feel awkward when I don't
So thanks and a kiss would be perfect I guess
Original post by jardantuan

Just don't do this.

Edit: the video doesn't want to load for me, if you can't see it try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZGrF5ZlYws

Haha love that show
Guess my response above this should be taken back!
Original post by eL-Jay
dont panic and reply with "I love me to" that doesnt go down well, otherwise id say not to make a big deal of it and if you think you love each other then surley you should be comfitable enough around each other to say it without being nervious for the response?

Its just, I think I am, so I'd want to say it
But, I'm not sure...
I don't know whether I'd say "i love you too" or "errr I care about you alot..."
And, I know if I did say it, when we have an arguement and says someting hurtful I'd want to take it all back
I guess I'll just know when the moment arrives
I was more curious as to other peoples responses though
Reply 12
"I love U2. Bono in particular."
My boyfriend said it first and I wanted to but was scared to so I literally just kissed him back and he understood. I then just said it when I was ready.
Reply 14
If you feel it, say it back. In addition to not doing a Penny and saying "thank you", don't do a Cameron Diaz in The Holiday and say "I don't know what to say", like Jude Law says "if the obvious response doesn't spring to mind... "
Reply 15
"thats nice, alot of people love me" i only said this to an ex tho
i usually just say that means alot and kiss them if its a partner and i dont feel it tho
Only say it if you mean it, beyond all reasonable doubt :smile:
Reply 17
Hans Solo: "I know"
I said it first :h: :proud: and he said it right back, plus loads of other mush... and said he'd mean wanting to say it for months but was worried he'd scare me being too serious :tongue:
I said it first.
He said 'At last! Finally she says it! :laugh:', laughed for a bit whilst I waited (felt like one of the longest 10 seconds of my life :colondollar:), before saying 'I love you too.'

Quick Reply

Latest