The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaydurrDude

You're mad doing so many subjects!
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Did you do the January modules? :tongue:

Why its only GS and CT not exactly time-taxing subjects are they.

I took Core 1 last Friday and I have A2 Critical thinking on Thursday. Wbu?
Don't you need to tell them? There's like a teacher's bit that they have to fill in... :tongue:

I guess I'll do that on Monday then :smile:
Reply 22
Are you wanting to do the medicine part of that? I'm thinking the same about not getting a place. Think it's like a 1:7 chance or something :frown:

Yeah :smile: I know, I really hope I do get one though because I think it'd be such a great experience. Good luck to you :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Mr Ben
It completely depends on the mentor, the time you have and the amount of people there. They can range from casual chit chat to team building things to random games involving remembering peoples names. I think I remember using giant jenga as an icebreaker once, that was fun.

Ah, i see :smile: Giant jenga would be fun. Thanks for all the help btw. Feeling a bit better about the whole concept now :smile:
Reply 24
Ah, i see :smile: Giant jenga would be fun. Thanks for all the help btw. Feeling a bit better about the whole concept now :smile:

No problem :smile: I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about it, I don't want to sound too over-dramatic but the summer school that I was on when i was younger was the best couple of weeks of my life, I thoroughly enjoyed it and so did everybody else on it. I promise you won't regret going on one.

People have been saying so many positive things about it! Is the reunion planned by yourselves or the uni? :redface:

The uni plans it, there's targeted revision sessions eg for aqa biology, ocr biology etc, workshops to prepare us for the transition to uni etc, and also social and fun actities planned. However, we're all planning a night out too ourselves, booking travelodge and planning to hit the city :smile: There's a fb group made after the summer school which we can all keep in contact through.
Reply 26
Original post by Natalie21
Why its only GS and CT not exactly time-taxing subjects are they.

I took Core 1 last Friday and I have A2 Critical thinking on Thursday. Wbu?

We're not offered those subjects in my school but i've heard general studies is hard cause there's lots to learn or something?

I did all 4 modules. The sciences were CCEA and Core 1 was Edexcel :redface:

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
I guess I'll do that on Monday then :smile:

Good plan :wink: Good luck to you :biggrin:

Original post by SWBL
Yeah :smile: I know, I really hope I do get one though because I think it'd be such a great experience. Good luck to you :smile:

I'm getting all excited for it even though i haven't got round to applying yet :tongue: But it would be so much fun... i'd like to think so anyways. Thanks, good luck to you too! :rolleyes:
Reply 27
I've applied for medicine at Cambridge :smile:

Same! :biggrin: we really are medicine soulmates xD
Good plan :wink: Good luck to you :biggrin:

Thanks and good luck to you too :biggrin:

Where are you planning to do medicine? :smile:
We're not offered those subjects in my school but i've heard general studies is hard cause there's lots to learn or something?

I did all 4 modules. The sciences were CCEA and Core 1 was Edexcel :redface:

There's nothing to learn for general studies its general knowledge :P

Never heard of CCEA :P

Original post by Larry31
Same! :biggrin: we really are medicine soulmates xD

We are <3 :P
Reply 30
Original post by Mr Ben
No problem :smile: I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about it, I don't want to sound too over-dramatic but the summer school that I was on when i was younger was the best couple of weeks of my life, I thoroughly enjoyed it and so did everybody else on it. I promise you won't regret going on one.

I haven't applied yet but i'm 100% certain i want to go :biggrin: May i ask what summer school you went to? :smile:

Original post by Kaylaleigh
The uni plans it, there's targeted revision sessions eg for aqa biology, ocr biology etc, workshops to prepare us for the transition to uni etc, and also social and fun actities planned. However, we're all planning a night out too ourselves, booking travelodge and planning to hit the city :smile: There's a fb group made after the summer school which we can all keep in contact through.

I haven't heard of unis doing reunions after! The revision sessions actually sound like a good idea :tongue: What subject did you do at Nottingham? :smile:
Reply 31
I haven't applied yet but i'm 100% certain i want to go :biggrin: May i ask what summer school you went to? :smile:

I went to a NAGTY Y12 summer school in... 2006 I think it was, at Durham University. Was an absolutely brilliant couple of weeks and I'm still really good friends with a fair few people from the summer school now.

Edit: It was for Physics by the way
Reply 32
Applied for Economics at Bristol.

Wary I won't get a place though as both my parents went to university & I come from a pretty good state school - how competitive is it though on average?

went to one at lancaster last year for Politics, was sweet!
Reply 33
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Thanks and good luck to you too :biggrin:

Where are you planning to do medicine? :smile:

In my dreams, Cambridge but in reality hopefully somewhere in England. No idea where though. (I'm from Northern Ireland :tongue:) Haven't really thought about Scotland. Apparently it's hard for us foreigners to get places at Scottish unis or so our teachers tell us :confused: What about yourself? :redface:

There's nothing to learn for general studies its general knowledge :P

Never heard of CCEA :P

Learn something new everyday! We only get to choose from the traditional subjects to do at A-Level...

I think CCEA is a Northern Irish board and isn't Edexcel an English board?

Learn something new everyday! We only get to choose from the traditional subjects to do at A-Level...

I think CCEA is a Northern Irish board and isn't Edexcel an English board?

Ah cool!

Ah okay I know nothing about exam boards in Northern Ireland.
Reply 35
I went to the Cambridge Sutton Trust Summer School for Music last year and it was amazing! Even if you think you don't think you'll be accepted to go to the Summer School, just apply; I didn't think I'd get a place but did and loved every second of it. Good luck all of you <3
Reply 36
Original post by Mr Ben
I went to a NAGTY Y12 summer school in... 2006 I think it was, at Durham University. Was an absolutely brilliant couple of weeks and I'm still really good friends with a fair few people from the summer school now.

Edit: It was for Physics by the way

I haven't heard of that one before? Infact the only ones i know of are the Sutton Trust and the Oxford one. My school doesn't really advertise summer school...

Ah, Physics. Don't know why i picked it for A-Level. Next module is on waves and medical physics. Is that interesting in any way? :smile:

Original post by Part A
Applied for Economics at Bristol.

Wary I won't get a place though as both my parents went to university & I come from a pretty good state school - how competitive is it though on average?

went to one at lancaster last year for Politics, was sweet!

I saw on the news that the odds are 7:1 but i'd assume the more of the criteria you fit increases your chances and that the pick for places is at random? :confused:

I haven't heard of unis doing reunions after! The revision sessions actually sound like a good idea :tongue: What subject did you do at Nottingham? :smile:

Yeah they also had other sessions for uni interview practice and similar things last year, I didn't go to those though. I did vet science and bioscience....and now I'm intending to do languages! At the time though I was considering nutrition (which came into the bioscience strand), either way it was great fun :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by wren94
I went to the Cambridge Sutton Trust Summer School for Music last year and it was amazing! Even if you think you don't think you'll be accepted to go to the Summer School, just apply; I didn't think I'd get a place but did and loved every second of it. Good luck all of you <3

Could you tell me what your few days were like there? From arriving to leaving? :tongue: I'd love to get into the Cambridge one but i'd assume loads of people will have applied for there :frown: Did you apply to Cambridge for Sept 2012? :smile:
Reply 39
I haven't heard of that one before? Infact the only ones i know of are the Sutton Trust and the Oxford one. My school doesn't really advertise summer school...

Ah, Physics. Don't know why i picked it for A-Level. Next module is on waves and medical physics. Is that interesting in any way? :smile:

I don't think it's being ran anymore, fairly certain NAGTY closed down or changed name years ago.

I've always thought waves were interesting, or pretty at least. But I'm a bit of a geek like that :cool:

Quick Reply