The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Davsters
I feel like I might be taking the place of someone who needs it more. Probs give it a go though :smile:

This is from the Sutton Trust website 'Importantly, the summer schools are successful at targeting those they are designed to help. Of the sixth formers who attended last year, all met at least one of the eligibility criteria, whilst 98 percent met at least two and over 70% matched three. Three quarters of the students came from schools with a lower than average attainment rate at A level.' The Unis will decide who's the most eligible :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by wren94
Fitzwilliam :smile: *checks to see what the criteria were* I'd meet 4 of them too this year :smile: although I think there were 7 categories last year because one was to do with EMA so 4 out of 7 last year for me :smile:

Sounds good :smile: What was the accommodation like? Did you have to share a bathroom? I wouldn't exactly be excited to share a bathroom with someone else :frown:
Original post by LaydurrDude
You know the way it says the only money you need is for personal spending? Well is there even any time to do this since everything is timetabled? :redface:

I can't really remember. I don't think we ever had the opportunity to go off shopping by ourselves but I did spend a small amount on drinks from vending machines. That was the only thing I think I bought really.
Reply 123
Applying for Law at Bristol.

Already doing the Pathways to Law scheme. Hope that doesn't put me at any disadvantage.
Reply 124
Sounds good :smile: What was the accommodation like? Did you have to share a bathroom? I wouldn't exactly be excited to share a bathroom with someone else :frown:

Nobody on our week had to share a bathroom but I know somebody who went a fortnight afterwards and they had to, there are other summer school running at the same time so it's kind of luck of the draw I think :smile: I ended up with a piano in my room:biggrin::cool:
I hadn't heard of many unis then one day i decided to google unis in the UK! Hopefully i'll get to a uni where they cook for you! :tongue: I couldnt imagine myself haven't the time (get off my arse) to cook for myself! But then again i'm kind of excited to live the student life! :redface:

There's people in my class doing further maths that got 30 odd percent in normal maths. Crazy or what. See some people i've been speaking to say that Cambridge don't really consider GCSEs that much unless it's between you and some else but i suppose we'd never find out the truth :confused:

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. We have mathematical subjects in common! :tongue:

Hey, just got around to coming on TSR. I've been so busy lately :frown:

I think I might have to do that one day to fill in the other 3 options in my UCAS. But unless they're amazing I'm pretty much set on going to Cambridge or Leicester if I can't get into there :biggrin:

Lol that's stupid :s-smilie: It's just gonna make the sixth form's stats look bad because there'll be quite a few people with bad marks in Further Maths, which is kinda stupid. Why did they even do Further Maths if they ain't amazing at Maths? :/

Yh maths is awesome :love:
Reply 126
Hmm, I think I might apply for the chemistry summer school...

I have 11 A*s, parents have never been to uni, go to a generally good school, live in a low-income area.....

Hopefully I might get in :/
Reply 127
Original post by wren94
Nobody on our week had to share a bathroom but I know somebody who went a fortnight afterwards and they had to, there are other summer school running at the same time so it's kind of luck of the draw I think :smile: I ended up with a piano in my room:biggrin::cool:

Do you mean other summer schools running as in different subjects? :smile:

:eek: Lucky getting a piano! I love playing piano. Bet you you kept everyone up all night long? :tongue: Hehe :redface:

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Hey, just got around to coming on TSR. I've been so busy lately :frown:

I think I might have to do that one day to fill in the other 3 options in my UCAS. But unless they're amazing I'm pretty much set on going to Cambridge or Leicester if I can't get into there :biggrin:

Lol that's stupid :s-smilie: It's just gonna make the sixth form's stats look bad because there'll be quite a few people with bad marks in Further Maths, which is kinda stupid. Why did they even do Further Maths if they ain't amazing at Maths? :/

Yh maths is awesome :love:

Busy doing all that maths homework! :tongue: You're applying for 2013 entry too aren't you? :biggrin: The whole UCAS thing and writing a personal statement will be... interesting :confused:

You wanna know what the best part about the whole "i'm gonna do further maths even though i can't do normal maths" thing is? They want to be a MATHS TEACHER! :eek:

Original post by Lricketts
Hmm, I think I might apply for the chemistry summer school...

I have 11 A*s, parents have never been to uni, go to a generally good school, live in a low-income area.....

Hopefully I might get in :/

Well you never know unless you try! What uni you thinking of applying to for the summer school? :smile:
Reply 128
Do you mean other summer schools running as in different subjects? :smile:

:eek: Lucky getting a piano! I love playing piano. Bet you you kept everyone up all night long? :tongue: Hehe :redface:

No, as in, other companies who ran summer schools for international students etc. were using the accommodation too :smile:

Haha, I was very restrained with it actually :P I did more silent flute practise than piano but it was brilliant :smile: made my room a communal space some times too :L

Busy doing all that maths homework! :tongue: You're applying for 2013 entry too aren't you? :biggrin: The whole UCAS thing and writing a personal statement will be... interesting :confused:

You wanna know what the best part about the whole "i'm gonna do further maths even though i can't do normal maths" thing is? They want to be a MATHS TEACHER! :eek:

We've only had one lesson of Core 4 and I'm already behind :frown: I swear I have a knack for screwing things up sometimes :angry:
Yh I'm applying for 2013 entry, and why do say that the personal statements gonna be interesting :s-smilie:

Lol some people have very high hopes of themselves. But then again you can't live your life being a pesimistic **** :frown:
Reply 130
A bit confused about adding GCSE grades, I took double science and I see that it says add both grades, but does this mean select science twice and add the two grades?
Reply 131
Original post by Folks
A bit confused about adding GCSE grades, I took double science and I see that it says add both grades, but does this mean select science twice and add the two grades?

I took double and I just added it twice. :biggrin:
Reply 132
Original post by Folks

I had this problem too. If you scroll down a bit when the grade pop up shows you'll see it! :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by WIC
I took double and I just added it twice. :biggrin:

I had this problem too. If you scroll down a bit when the grade pop up shows you'll see it! :smile:

Oops! I just added science and put the grade. I hope they realise, ha! Seeing as I'm taking two sciences, maths and a language maybe they'll know I meant more than single science at gcse... :frown:
Reply 134
Original post by Natalie21
Where does it say that?

Hello! I just thought i'd let you know about the £1000 bursary thing. It says in the booklet that you can download from their site that in Year 13 you will continue to have access to support and guidance from the uni, including e-mentoring, online revision resources and a Spring Reunion Event. So if you progress to do your undergraduate studies at the uni you automatically get £1000 bursary for each year of study!

Raging i'm away for some of that week now :L :tongue:
Hello! I just thought i'd let you know about the £1000 bursary thing. It says in the booklet that you can download from their site that in Year 13 you will continue to have access to support and guidance from the uni, including e-mentoring, online revision resources and a Spring Reunion Event. So if you progress to do your undergraduate studies at the uni you automatically get £1000 bursary for each year of study!

Raging i'm away for some of that week now :L :tongue:

Is this true at Cambridge?
Reply 136
Original post by Natalie21
Is this true at Cambridge?

Unfortunately not :frown: It seems to only be for Nottingham :confused:
Unfortunately not :frown: It seems to only be for Nottingham :confused:

That's what I thought.
I have applied :smile: Just waiting on the school to confirm it.
Reply 139
Hi guys :smile: I've just applied for Computer Science and Maths & Statistics at St Andrews summer school and I had a couple of questions.

I'm worried that I won't get a place because my subjects aren't very academic. I'm taking higher Accounting, Business Management, Computing Studies, Maths and English.. Do I have a chance with these?

Also, what is the accommodation like? Do you live among St Andrews students? And do you stay with a room mate?*

Thankyou to anyone who can answer these for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending