The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aniqaaslam
Hi guys :smile: I've just applied for Computer Science and Maths & Statistics at St Andrews summer school and I had a couple of questions.

I'm worried that I won't get a place because my subjects aren't very academic. I'm taking higher Accounting, Business Management, Computing Studies, Maths and English.. Do I have a chance with these?

Also, what is the accommodation like? Do you live among St Andrews students? And do you stay with a room mate?*

Thankyou to anyone who can answer these for me :smile:

I did the St Andrews summer school a few years back and now study there. Your highers are absolutely fine for applying. You don't live with St Andrews students as they are on their summer holiday. You live with all the other kids and the mentors (who are current students) in halls (think it's still John Burnett Hall). Chances are you won't get a room mate. When I was there everyone had their own room, even though a lot of the rooms were meant to be for 2 people you got your own room. Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Erm I need a bit of help :s-smilie:

I applied last week and I've informed one or two of the higher up teachers but I know that they haven't had a reply for my application. I only told them after I applied as well, but the thing is I don't know who exactly the Sutton Trust people are gonna send the email to :/

Have any of you guys been told that your school has received a confirmation email???
Reply 142
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Erm I need a bit of help :s-smilie:

I applied last week and I've informed one or two of the higher up teachers but I know that they haven't had a reply for my application. I only told them after I applied as well, but the thing is I don't know who exactly the Sutton Trust people are gonna send the email to :/

Have any of you guys been told that your school has received a confirmation email???

I received a confirmation email after I sent off the application, but I haven't been told whether or not my school have received a confirmation, are they supposed to? :s-smilie: I think I should go and check with the teacher I spoke to and see if they got a confirmation.
Out of curiosity, what did you apply for and where? :smile:
Original post by kateeeeey
I received a confirmation email after I sent off the application, but I haven't been told whether or not my school have received a confirmation, are they supposed to? :s-smilie: I think I should go and check with the teacher I spoke to and see if they got a confirmation.
Out of curiosity, what did you apply for and where? :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I received the confirmation email to myself straight after submitting my application, but I wasn't sure whether or not my school had been emailed :/ I just worried about not getting in, because of something stupid like my school forgetting to confirm my application or something like that :frown:

I applied for Maths at Cambridge :love: :drool:
What about you? Have you applied for any other summer schools? :smile:
Reply 144
Thanks for your reply. I received the confirmation email to myself straight after submitting my application, but I wasn't sure whether or not my school had been emailed :/ I just worried about not getting in, because of something stupid like my school forgetting to confirm my application or something like that :frown:

I applied for Maths at Cambridge :love: :drool:
What about you? Have you applied for any other summer schools? :smile:

Same here, I think it's best we go and check that they definitely confirmed our applications, that would be so annoying if they forgot!

Haha eeew I don't like Maths, I've applied for Sociology and Social Anthropology at Cambridge. I really hope I get in!!! Nope, just this one, how about you?
Same here, I think it's best we go and check that they definitely confirmed our applications, that would be so annoying if they forgot!

Haha eeew I don't like Maths, I've applied for Sociology and Social Anthropology at Cambridge. I really hope I get in!!! Nope, just this one, how about you?

Hmmm yh. I think I read somewhere that they send the email to the school, but on my school's website the email address they give is for the office, and if the email goes there then I know they'll **** it up somehow :frown: I've told one deputy head already and I'll tell the other one on monday. They're all cool with me so I know they wont mess it up :smile:
Also the school itself didn't tell anyone about the sutton trust, i had to find it out myself so I doubt that many people are aware of it :s-smilie:

Maths is awesome :biggrin: But you have bad taste :wink2:
What's that course about? D'you remember the dates that it's running on? :smile:
Yh I've only applied to this one.
I applied for Law at Cambridge just now. Really anxious. Anyone else here applied for law ?
Reply 147
Hmmm yh. I think I read somewhere that they send the email to the school, but on my school's website the email address they give is for the office, and if the email goes there then I know they'll **** it up somehow :frown: I've told one deputy head already and I'll tell the other one on monday. They're all cool with me so I know they wont mess it up :smile:
Also the school itself didn't tell anyone about the sutton trust, i had to find it out myself so I doubt that many people are aware of it :s-smilie:

Maths is awesome :biggrin: But you have bad taste :wink2:
What's that course about? D'you remember the dates that it's running on? :smile:
Yh I've only applied to this one.

Hmm tricky situation. Let's hope for the best! I might go and check with mine on Monday 'cause I'm worried now! Same here, which is good I suppose, we'll have more chance of getting in yaaaaay :biggrin:

Haha if you say so! Well the description says 'it tackles a number of contemporary topics, ranging from the media to social inequality, gender to kinship and the family' so there we go :smile: I think mine's 22-26 July or something, when's yours?
I have applied for biomedical science at Cambridge. I really hope that I'll be able to attend :s-smilie:
whats the application process for this, do we have to do a personal statement or anything?
Hmm tricky situation. Let's hope for the best! I might go and check with mine on Monday 'cause I'm worried now! Same here, which is good I suppose, we'll have more chance of getting in yaaaaay :biggrin:

Haha if you say so! Well the description says 'it tackles a number of contemporary topics, ranging from the media to social inequality, gender to kinship and the family' so there we go :smile: I think mine's 22-26 July or something, when's yours?

Lol I didn't mean to stress you out about it as well :s-smilie: I guess going to an under-average college has one benefit in that such an oppurtunity arises :biggrin:

You know I'm right :wink2: The description itself almost killed me of boredom; mines is 13-17 August
What subjects are you doing in college? :smile:
Reply 151
Original post by tooambitious
whats the application process for this, do we have to do a personal statement or anything?

No personal statement, just some details about your grades and your background and stuff :smile: then your school/college just have to confirm it.
Original post by Roshniroxy
I applied for Law at Cambridge just now. Really anxious. Anyone else here applied for law ?

Original post by inyoursystem
I have applied for biomedical science at Cambridge. I really hope that I'll be able to attend :s-smilie:

Have your schools told you that they've received information about your applications? :s-smilie:
Reply 153
Lol I didn't mean to stress you out about it as well :s-smilie: I guess going to an under-average college has one benefit in that such an oppurtunity arises :biggrin:

You know I'm right :wink2: The description itself almost killed me of boredom; mines is 13-17 August
What subjects are you doing in college? :smile:

Haha I forgive you! Heey don't be rude about my subject :wink: oo I'm on holiday for those dates haha, bummer I won't be seeing you if we both get in! :smile: won't you miss results day, on the 16th? Ommmm :O haha
I'm doing biology, art, english language, french and critical thinking, random selection I know. You?
No personal statement, just some details about your grades and your background and stuff :smile: then your school/college just have to confirm it.

awesome, is there any extended writing or anythiing like 'i would like to do this because of blah blah bah'? thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 155
awesome, is there any extended writing or anythiing like 'i would like to do this because of blah blah bah'? thanks a lot :biggrin:

Nope nothing like that at all! I was really surprised haha :smile: I think they're more interested in your background and stooooooff!
Haha I forgive you! Heey don't be rude about my subject :wink: oo I'm on holiday for those dates haha, bummer I won't be seeing you if we both get in! :smile: won't you miss results day, on the 16th? Ommmm :O haha
I'm doing biology, art, english language, french and critical thinking, random selection I know. You?

Ohh awesome, where you going? :biggrin: Yh same it'd be cool to actually know people before you go, but that is if we get in :/
I didn't even think of that :shock: I'll prob just get my friends to pick it up and then tell me :biggrin:

Lol yh that is a slightly random bunch, but if you enjoy them, then it's all good :woo:
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics :biggrin:
Nope nothing like that at all! I was really surprised haha :smile: I think they're more interested in your background and stooooooff!

cool :smile:, only problem is i go to a good grammar school :s, and a lot f perople go to oxbbridge, maybe ill just hope the 'black card' works :biggrin:
Reply 158
Ohh awesome, where you going? :biggrin: Yh same it'd be cool to actually know people before you go, but that is if we get in :/
I didn't even think of that :shock: I'll prob just get my friends to pick it up and then tell me :biggrin:

Lol yh that is a slightly random bunch, but if you enjoy them, then it's all good :woo:
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics :biggrin:

I'm off to Egypt woo :smile: yeahh, I really want to do it, would be such a good experience! Haha :smile:
Tbh I wanted to take like everything (apart from Maths) so I just took a variety :smile: don't know how well that'll work out for me...
That's way too mathsy for my liking!
Reply 159
cool :smile:, only problem is i go to a good grammar school :s, and a lot f perople go to oxbbridge, maybe ill just hope the 'black card' works :biggrin:

I go to a grammar school too, although I don't think that many people go to Oxbridge.. Hahaha good move! Let me know if you're successful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest