The Student Room Group

AQA C3: how did you find it all?

Scroll to see replies

Too unlike the past papers :frown: those long questions really threw me. Resit form good as filled out :\ gonna have to resit on the same day as taking FP2, which will be killer. Oh well...
Original post by Legendrew
I did :smile:
Don't worry it's exactly the same anyway

Hehe yeah I know it's the same:smile: how did you find it?

Original post by nmudz_009
No i think you'll get an extra mark for that.

Ah I see, ah well; I guess we'll all just have to wait and see, good luck!:smile:
Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet

Ah I see, ah well; I guess we'll all just have to wait and see, good luck!:smile:

I really want a B in this exam- If I'd managed to do all the questions I'd be looking to get an A Good luck to you too!!
Reply 83
Yeah I will admit this paper was harder that all the other past papers in C3 ever, probably won't get higher than a B but that is due to me taking 3 exams in a row; M1 C3 and FP2...FP2 was a killer, I don't know if anyone here did it but I know I am definitely retaking that in the summer...FP2 was terrible :frown:
Original post by alan_9016
Yeah I will admit this paper was harder that all the other past papers in C3 ever, probably won't get higher than a B but that is due to me taking 3 exams in a row; M1 C3 and FP2...FP2 was a killer, I don't know if anyone here did it but I know I am definitely retaking that in the summer...FP2 was terrible :frown:

Yup i sat it too, was a pretty foul exam. Didn't even put pen to paper for the induction question, and only got the first mark on the entire of question 8 (the final one) FML.
Reply 85
Original post by In One Ear
Yup i sat it too, was a pretty foul exam. Didn't even put pen to paper for the induction question, and only got the first mark on the entire of question 8 (the final one) FML.

Yeah I know, some of the questions I was just like wtff??? especially when they were talking about Re(z)=0, what were they talking about there??? What did you get for the De Moivre's question about p and q??
Original post by alan_9016
Yeah I know, some of the questions I was just like wtff??? especially when they were talking about Re(z)=0, what were they talking about there??? What did you get for the De Moivre's question about p and q??

2 and 3. Yeah i was like WTF too. But i eventually worked out it mean the real component of the complex number =0. As is, the complex number lies on the y axis purely. Still so that allowed me to get 1-2 more marks plotting it but i still couldn't do the rest of the question :P.
Original post by newskills
When integrating the e^-x/4, was -4e^-x/4 correct?

The 1/6 In 91 - 1/6 In 21 was just law of logs.. 1/6 In 91/21 (or whatever it was).

The second half of the paper was difficult (for me anyway).

They said integrating:tongue: integrating e^-x/4 is -4e^-x/4.
If you differentiate e^-x/4 then you get -1/4e^-x/4 :smile: I don't remember the question xD just sayiinng :smile:

Ah sorry I should learn to read properly one day :P
I can't remember the question either, just hope I did whatever it asked me to do! :s-smilie:
Am I the only one who cancelled 91/21 to 13/3??! Why has no one else cancelled it down to it's simplest form? O.o eecck

I think I did cancel down, although I can't really remember, it seems so long ago now.
Original post by freakymonkey
Too unlike the past papers :frown: those long questions really threw me. Resit form good as filled out :\ gonna have to resit on the same day as taking FP2, which will be killer. Oh well...

I have to take C4 and FP3 on the same day :/
I really want a B in this exam- If I'd managed to do all the questions I'd be looking to get an A Good luck to you too!!

Aah I really wanted an A*; I was getting over 95% in all the past papers. But this one just threw me off :frown: if I don't get over 90% I shall retake it in June, hopefully that paper will be more normal!

Original post by buttermints
I think I did cancel down, although I can't really remember, it seems so long ago now.

Hahaha touche it does.

Ah well, I guess there's not point worrying about it now; we'll just have to wait and see!
Reply 91
I reckon I was around 85%, hopefully they'll lower the grade boundaries, 'cause I really don't want to have to resit. Ah well. what's done is done.
Reply 92
Original post by In One Ear
2 and 3. Yeah i was like WTF too. But i eventually worked out it mean the real component of the complex number =0. As is, the complex number lies on the y axis purely. Still so that allowed me to get 1-2 more marks plotting it but i still couldn't do the rest of the question :P.

Yeah I just randomly drew it on the y-axis so I must have gained 1 or 2 marks...
No i think you'll get an extra mark for that.

I dont think he will, the question never stated to put it in its simplest form. Just where p and q are rational numbers.

When they wan't something in simplest or exact form they are always really specific and state it in the question.

But even then, alot of the time they say on the mark scheme "other common answers "....." accept this"

mainly when they ask for the equation of a line/tangest in the form of 2y +4x=C (or something similar, you get the point)

Youll get away with saying Y is equal to 2y= -4x + c
Reply 94
I thought this was about the GCSE exam at first :') I was like "...isn't it on Thursday?"
Goign to be resitting for sure :tongue:
Original post by SpringNicht
Goign to be resitting for sure :tongue:

Gud luck with the rest of ur med app!
Reply 97
it was hard, good to see everyone else found it hard as well! hopefully grade boundaries will get lowered. i went into the exam so confident coz i had done all the past papers, i think i got too cocky, i was telling everyone how easy aqa maths is and everything :/
Reply 98
Original post by lagoom
it was hard, good to see everyone else found it hard as well! hopefully grade boundaries will get lowered. i went into the exam so confident coz i had done all the past papers, i think i got too cocky, i was telling everyone how easy aqa maths is and everything :/

ha, me too, i was so confident, but what else are you going to do, if you are acing all the previous exams, they aren't pracice questions, they are actual past exams, and had we taken the exam a year ago, we'd have aced it, can't be helped lol :wink: not cockiness

i think thats why some are saying it was rock hard, for those who are bewildered thinking it was piss though, because of the differences from all past papers.

My main annoyances with the paper, was that i took far too long doing the simple questions, not cos i needed to, but thinking this was the standard, and i don't like dropping marks, for not writing down a step that you do in your head etc.
And that bug**red me up when the hard ones came, first you have a bit of a panic thinking this is sooo different, wasting yet more time, then you just don't have time to finish.

I didnt get chance to gather all my terms up on the last integration part, so its all jsut left term by term on each limit.

and i needed time to go back to the 9 marker, fair enough it wasn't rock hard, but under stress sometimes you just don't see whats right in front of you,
I missed that 1-cosec^2 could be cancelled to cot^2 which once that was done, i'd had have no problem finishing the question, but without that, was dumbfounded haha,
bit more time and less stress from the shock of 9 marks ha and i'd have been fine.

i also think there was too much variance in hardness between the first and latter questions, maybe we should be happy for basically free marks, but you can't spread your time accordingly and equal over the paper if they are such different marks and difficulty

Anyway, sorry, thats my rant over, after sitting C4, i realise C3 wasn't that hard, and wish i'd done better, cos i don't think my C3 mark is gonna be high enough to raise my Low C or D :mad: in C4. I needed 2 high C's in both to get an A overall.

thought i was guaranteed and was even aiming for A* before this weekend. hmmm how stupid and naive of me :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
We can't really complain too much for it being 'unlike all the past papers.'
It's an exam; we're supposed to be being tested on our knowledge of the subject.
Past papers are just there to help us learn how to tackle questions.
If every exam was like the past papers, everyone would get high marks. There would be no point...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending