The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by StitchMad
Association is where you're looking to see if there's a relationship or correlation between two things. A difference is a.... difference. I'm not really sure how to explain that, haha! Perhaps someone else can help! :smile:

LOL right so a difference is a difference! Makes sense :biggrin:

kk so Association would besphearman/rho and chissquared, since you can/may be able to use corrlation on them.

Do you mean difference, within the numbers?
Reply 721
Original post by VanessaXD
I think anti social behaviour, effects of television and attraction of a celebrity might come up (:

Thanks Anti Social behaviour would be an ok topic to come up. Also do you know if the decision making section in persuasion and attitude change has gone from the spec?
Thank you
Original post by Alicexoxo
Thanks Anti Social behaviour would be an ok topic to come up. Also do you know if the decision making section in persuasion and attitude change has gone from the spec?
Thank you

I think it has been taken out, I've got the new AQA psychology book and that topic isn't in there at all and it is not on the specification but my teacher still taught it.
Reply 723
omg everyone knows everyhting on here. i'm gonna fail :frown: :frown:
Reply 724
Original post by VanessaXD
I think it has been taken out, I've got the new AQA psychology book and that topic isn't in there at all and it is not on the specification but my teacher still taught it.

Thanks, we have also been taught it, but if it isnt in the new spec then i assume it must have been taken out. (hopefullt anyway as it is such a boring topic)
Reply 725
Original post by DaHogz
Ahh thankyou, that seems like a rather interesting way of doing things. :biggrin:
But may I ask what is
'Difference/Association)?

And is nominal-where it involves groups?
ordinal- is when it has a rank
intervaal-is meeasured in numbers?

Haha I can never learn things like a normal person :tongue:
It means if a study has found a difference or an association between two variables :smile: (as in spearmans rho where the study must find a correlation for that test to be applicable)

And yep that's right :biggrin: except ordinal data has a 'meaningful zero point' (I remember that by thinking of it as 0rdinal) - Basically if someone was rating someone on attractiveness (0-10 i.e ordinal data) and they gave them a 0, that would be meaningful as they are stating that they aren't attractive in the slightest :smile:
I think that's right anyway :/
Reply 726
Original post by DaHogz

I hardly know anything either and I need a high C to boost my grade to a C to get into uni, which is never going to happen.

What topics are you doing?
Reply 727
I hardly know anything either and I need a high C to boost my grade to a C to get into uni, which is never going to happen.

What topics are you doing?

Same, i just need a standard grade.Even tho I kno nI can get better.
But it'smy folt i've left it for late. And i'm planing to revise all of it, withint 2 days. :indiff:

We should do msn revision :biggrin:
Reply 728
Original post by DaHogz
LOL right so a difference is a difference! Makes sense :biggrin:

kk so Association would besphearman/rho and chissquared, since you can/may be able to use corrlation on them.

Do you mean difference, within the numbers?

That's right. Spearman's Rho and Chi Squared is for an association whereas Mann Whitney U and Wilcoxon are for a difference.

Difference refers to finding a difference between two conditions. For example, if you were looking at the difference between a treatment and a non-treatment group, then you'd use Wilcoxon or Mann Whitney U depending on the design. If you were looking for a correlation... between age and intelligence, for example, then you'd use Spearman's Rho (if it was nominal it would be Chi Squared).
Reply 729
Original post by RachelM94
Haha I can never learn things like a normal person :tongue:
It means if a study has found a difference or an association between two variables :smile: (as in spearmans rho where the study must find a correlation for that test to be applicable)

And yep that's right :biggrin: except ordinal data has a 'meaningful zero point' (I remember that by thinking of it as 0rdinal) - Basically if someone was rating someone on attractiveness (0-10 i.e ordinal data) and they gave them a 0, that would be meaningful as they are stating that they aren't attractive in the slightest :smile:
I think that's right anyway :/

Thanks, that's explained well.
Yeah it was quite funny as well 'men differ in intelligence' i will ddefo remmber that 1 :biggrin:

Lol right, i love your examples! So in the interval 0 can't exist?
Reply 730
Original post by DaHogz
x

Or facebook chat revision ..... lol
Reply 731
Original post by DaHogz

LOL. Tell me about it, I don't know anything!
Reply 732
Original post by DaHogz
Same, i just need a standard grade.Even tho I kno nI can get better.
But it'smy folt i've left it for late. And i'm planing to revise all of it, withint 2 days. :indiff:

Same I wish I started revising earlier. I have Psychology 3 as well which I again will fail on no doubt.

Yeah we should. What topics are you doing? I'm doing Schizophrenia and Media.
Reply 733
Original post by EffKayy
Or facebook chat revision ..... lol

LOL. Tell me about it, I don't know anything!

Lol us two were were saying the exact same thing in unit 3 revision thread as well.
Hmm lets see if you remembr who i am :hmmmm:

Same I wish I started revising earlier. I have Psychology 3 as well which I again will fail on no doubt.

Yeah we should. What topics are you doing? I'm doing Schizophrenia and Media.

Iknow right! omg same, yeah i got unit 3 to do AGAIn.
but i'm better at unit 3, than unit 4...

omg exact same! :five: lol this was meant to be :cry2:
lets get cracking? i'm free now wbu?
Reply 734
Original post by StitchMad
That's right. Spearman's Rho and Chi Squared is for an association whereas Mann Whitney U and Wilcoxon are for a difference.

Difference refers to finding a difference between two conditions. For example, if you were looking at the difference between a treatment and a non-treatment group, then you'd use Wilcoxon or Mann Whitney U depending on the design. If you were looking for a correlation... between age and intelligence, for example, then you'd use Spearman's Rho (if it was nominal it would be Chi Squared).

You lot are better than my teachers :biggrin:
I'm learning more here, than I ever did in class.

Aaah right.
So you know in this question.how do i do it.

Spoiler

Right so now I know that man whitney’s statistics shows it has a difference,it’s independence groups, and interval data.
But where does it show that in the question? :smile:

(sorry again,just tryna does some revision on here)
Reply 735
Original post by DaHogz
Thanks, that's explained well.
Yeah it was quite funny as well 'men differ in intelligence' i will ddefo remmber that 1 :biggrin:

Lol right, i love your examples! So in the interval 0 can't exist?

Haha! Oh crap, it's ratio where the data has a meaningful zero point, scrap that last bit :tongue:
Just got my work sheet out, It says:

Ordinal - the data can be placed in rank order (easy enough to remember, ordinal-order) but is measured on a scale of unequal intervals (scores on a test can be put in rank order, but we can't assume the intervals between each score will be equal).

Interval - This data has fixed intervals

Rati0:tongue: - same as interval but this is the one with a meaningful zero point.

Hope that makes sense :/ Glad you asked that, I didn't know ordinal was in rank order before looking at my sheet :tongue:
Original post by laurentommo
Hey, i'm currently revising for the schizophrenia topic I have two questions :P,

1. I was wondering if for the biological therapy section if anti-psychotic drugs and ECT counts as an answer, or if its just for a biological treatment kind of unsure on this :/

If not can you mention some sort of biological therapy's that can be added if there was an essay on this.

2. This follows on to my second question, can an answer for example be 'Outline and evaluate a biological therapy' or will it be more open so that you can talk about psychological, psychodynamic/ cognitive.

To answer your first question-both of those you mentioned, antipsychotic drugs and ECT can both be used as an explanation for biological therapies-its actually the main ones.

To answer your second question-they can pretty much ask us how they want- they may specifically ask for biological therapies or psychological ones.
or they may ask a open question such as outline therapies for schizophrenia and you can use either or both.
hope that helps? :smile:
Reply 737
Original post by RachelM94
Haha! Oh crap, it's ratio where the data has a meaningful zero point, scrap that last bit :tongue:
Just got my work sheet out, It says:

Ordinal - the data can be placed in rank order (easy enough to remember, ordinal-order) but is measured on a scale of unequal intervals (scores on a test can be put in rank order, but we can't assume the intervals between each score will be equal).

Interval - This data has fixed intervals

Rati0:tongue: - same as interval but this is the one with a meaningful zero point.

Hope that makes sense :/ Glad you asked that, I didn't know ordinal was in rank order before looking at my sheet :tongue:

So ordinal is like <-- bad, indifferent, good, satisfactory, fantastic??

interval is numbers...but 0 means something when it's ratio <--does that mean ratio as in 1:3

haha no worries. :smile:
Reply 738
Original post by DaHogz
You lot are better than my teachers :biggrin:
I'm learning more here, than I ever did in class.

Aaah right.
So you know in this question.how do i do it.

Spoiler

Right so now I know that man whitney’s statistics shows it has a difference,it’s independence groups, and interval data.
But where does it show that in the question? :smile:

(sorry again,just tryna does some revision on here)

Well let's break it down...
It's a difference because we're looking at the difference between eating a breakfast and not eating a healthy breakfast. We're not looking for a correlation between the two conditions.
They're independent groups because there's two conditions - eating and not eating.
It's interval data because she's looking at the childrens' reading speed (as mentioned in the first paragraph) - time is a unit which is at intervals.

If you wanted me to confuse matters, I could argue that interval data CAN be treated as ordinal too. In that respect, you'd still find that Mann Whitney U was the appropriate test due to it being a difference and independent groups.

I think that's all right, but I'm sure someone will correct us if it's not! Hope that made sense! :smile:
Original post by Mephestic
To answer your first question-both of those you mentioned, antipsychotic drugs and ECT can both be used as an explanation for biological therapies-its actually the main ones.

To answer your second question-they can pretty much ask us how they want- they may specifically ask for biological therapies or psychological ones.
or they may ask a open question such as outline therapies for schizophrenia and you can use either or both.
hope that helps? :smile:

Heyy,

Thank you very much thought nobody would reply haha.. +rep :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending