The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by DaHogz
So now you gotsto tell me how you can differentiate interval and ordinal..
cos wudnt interval have a ranking as well...the higher the number...the higher the rank?

That's the thing. Interval data can always be treated as ordinal data. Here's a little diagram I've just made for you. This is how I've been taught it, so I just have this diagram in my head! :smile:

Reply 761
Original post by DaHogz
okay thanks, thats makes it cleaerer for me :smile:

so dispesion stems off from the 'Mean'?

and what is standard deviation?

Sorry, I think dispersion is just about the general spread of the data :smile: - ignore the mean part

Standard deviation - This one however does measure the spread of data around the mean
I'm not sure we need to know exactly what it is, just say it measures the spread of data around the mean

An advantage of standard deviation is that it is a very precise measure of dispersion as all values (every bit of data collected) are taken into account.
Reply 762
Original post by DaHogz
so what you're saying is....
in interval the differences between the number has to always be the same.
i.e.
4-2= 2
6-4=2
they'reallspaced in 2's

whereas in ordinal,htere is no particular constant pattern,they'eejust each to their own, however they must be put in order?
where as ordinal it can be more precise?2.2. 2.34, 2.4?

Yeah that's right :biggrin: (But for different studies the distance between the numbers doesn't have to be the same - i.e not always 2 :biggrin:)
Reply 763
Original post by StitchMad
That's the thing. Interval data can always be treated as ordinal data. Here's a little diagram I've just made for you. This is how I've been taught it, so I just have this diagram in my head! :smile:

You. Are. The. Best. :adore:
It defo clears my brain uo a bit more. :tongue:

Btw in the difference part what do you mean by 'unrelated/related'

Also are you sure we need not to know more than. Wilcoxon<-difference<-repeatedmeasures<-interval/ordinal data. or do we need to know more indepthly about them, since there are 2 page spready in them in the Companians book :redface:
Reply 764
Original post by RachelM94
Yeah that's right :biggrin: (But for different studies the distance between the numbers doesn't have to be the same - i.e not always 2 :biggrin:)

Yeah i get it now! Thank you :top2:

Since you're soo good at finding ways to memorize stuff easily..
how do you think i can learn to memorize

How to remember that the calculated value needs to be smaller than critical value for ManWhitney+Wilcoxon
And calculated value needs to be larger than critical value for Chi-squared+spearmans Rho’s?
Reply 765
Original post by DaHogz
Yeah i get it now! Thank you :top2:

Since you're soo good at finding ways to memorize stuff easily..
how do you think i can learn to memorize

How to remember that the calculated value needs to be smaller than critical value for ManWhitney+Wilcoxon
And calculated value needs to be larger than critical value for Chi-squared+spearmans Rho’s?

If there is an R in the name of the test, the observed value must be gReateR than or equal to the critical value :smile:

Chi - squaRed - Greater than or equal to
Mann Whitney U - Less than or equal to
Wilcoxan T - Less than or equal to
Spearmans Rho - Greater than or equal to
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 766
Sorry, I think dispersion is just about the general spread of the data :smile: - ignore the mean part

Standard deviation - This one however does measure the spread of data around the mean
I'm not sure we need to know exactly what it is, just say it measures the spread of data around the mean

An advantage of standard deviation is that it is a very precise measure of dispersion as all values (every bit of data collected) are taken into account.

Oh right. TBh i'm taking what you lot are saying for word for word, cos i know nothingat all :redface:

so what kinds of questions(if there are any) do you think will be asked about standard deviation?

Also how do you write a report ofa study??
Reply 767
If there is an R in the name of the test, the observed value must be gReateR than or equal to the critical value :smile:

Chi - squaRed - Greater than or equal to
Mann Whitney U - Less than or equal to
Wilcoxan T - Less than or equal to
Spearmans Rho - Greater than or equal to

Omg,i'm not even joking, but you missy are just too sick! XD

Thankyou soo much, I will defo remember that!

btw how come you said
Wilcoxon<-difference<-repeatedmeasures<-interval/ordinal data.
stictch's graph thing says it's only ordinal. :s-smilie:
Do we need to know Thomas Kuhns veiw? if so, whats his basics beliefs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 768
Original post by DaHogz
Oh right. TBh i'm taking what you lot are saying for word for word, cos i know nothingat all :redface:

so what kinds of questions(if there are any) do you think will be asked about standard deviation?

Also how do you write a report ofa study??

I feel bad for you, it looks like you need to learn a lot :/
Oh well, still got 18 days to crack it :biggrin:

But i'm not too sure, cause they could ask anything on research methods really,

maybe things like name a measure of dispersion (where you would say either range or standard deviation)

What standard deviation shows

Pros and cons of using standard deviation as a way of showing dispersion.

I've attatched on of my practices of writing a report (up to the methods section) You should set your report out under different headings (shown in red) And go into enough detail about your study so that it can be replicated by another psychologist.
My Report isn't perfect, it's missing a few things but it helps to keep practicing writing them, you get to get an idea of what you need to incluse and where :biggrin:
Reply 769
Original post by DaHogz
Omg,i'm not even joking, but you missy are just too sick! XD

Thankyou soo much, I will defo remember that!

btw how come you said
Wilcoxon<-difference<-repeatedmeasures<-interval/ordinal data.
stictch's graph thing says it's only ordinal. :s-smilie:
Do we need to know Thomas Kuhns veiw? if so, whats his basics beliefs?

Haha I can't take credit for that one :tongue: my teacher taught us it that way :biggrin:

ah we just got taught that it can't be nominal data for wilcoxon so I assumed it can be both ordinal and interval, but stitch's explanation seems more thorough so i'd go with that one :biggrin:

I'm not sure about all that bit yet though :/ I've still got to go through my notes
Reply 770
I feel bad for you, it looks like you need to learn a lot :/
Oh well, still got 18 days to crack it :biggrin:

But i'm not too sure, cause they could ask anything on research methods really,

maybe things like name a measure of dispersion (where you would say either range or standard deviation)

What standard deviation shows

Pros and cons of using standard deviation as a way of showing dispersion.

I've attatched on of my practices of writing a report (up to the methods section) You should set your report out under different headings (shown in red) And go into enough detail about your study so that it can be replicated by another psychologist.
My Report isn't perfect, it's missing a few things but it helps to keep practicing writing them, you get to get an idea of what you need to incluse and where :biggrin:

Yeah. :redface: My teacher is crap, so I always like to twag all her lessons and self-teach. But thing is, i've been kind of leaving it to the end, due to lack of motivation. And even still now, i'm doing not as much revision as i'm supposedto be doing to catch up. Hopefully I just get a pass grade. Notei'm also doing the other topic as well :s-smilie: Not really 18 days, only can spend 2 days on this realistically. That's what i did for my unit 3, spend 4 days :emo:self-teaching everyyythiiing and got a C.

Would you say research methods is common sense? i'm planning to chat bullcrap on it. lol. Btw what other topics are you doing.I'm doing media and schizophrenia. schizphrenai only has 5 spreads, so i can probs do that quite quick, but media is hugeeee.

Ohh thanks :biggrin:
So you're telloing me to write allll that,for 12makrs??
Reply 771
Memorising my essay halfway through schizophrenia got media psychology left and gta learn the technique around the report for 10 marker or 12 marker lot of learning to do hope it's all done in due time or else it will be manic. Panic chaotic :tongue:
Reply 772
Haha I can't take credit for that one :tongue: my teacher taught us it that way :biggrin:

ah we just got taught that it can't be nominal data for wilcoxon so I assumed it can be both ordinal and interval, but stitch's explanation seems more thorough so i'd go with that one :biggrin:

I'm not sure about all that bit yet though :/ I've still got to go through my notes

Haha, yes good use of nmonics. orw.e.you call it.

Well in my book it basically says:
Thomas Kuhn (1962) psychology, cannot be science, as there is no single PARADIGM (shared setof assumptions).
dont think we really need to know that....
and Karl Popper his is falsification, where theorists are constantly trying to falsify studies,to disprove them and making them more valid, thats how the understanding of science develops.

Whats peer reveiw?
Reply 773
Original post by DaHogz
Yeah. :redface: My teacher is crap, so I always like to twag all her lessons and self-teach. But thing is, i've been kind of leaving it to the end, due to lack of motivation. And even still now, i'm doing not as much revision as i'm supposedto be doing to catch up. Hopefully I just get a pass grade. Notei'm also doing the other topic as well :s-smilie: Not really 18 days, only can spend 2 days on this realistically. That's what i did for my unit 3, spend 4 days :emo:self-teaching everyyythiiing and got a C.

Would you say research methods is common sense? i'm planning to chat bullcrap on it. lol. Btw what other topics are you doing.I'm doing media and schizophrenia. schizphrenai only has 5 spreads, so i can probs do that quite quick, but media is hugeeee.

Ohh thanks :biggrin:
So you're telloing me to write allll that,for 12makrs??

Ah that's pants :/ but you must have a good memory! teaching yourself everything in four days and still setting a C!? that's fab! One of my best mates was revising for months, and completely slipped up on her exam and ended up with a D D:

Kind of yeah, appart from the statistical tests obv but once you've got your head round those you'll be fine :smile: yeah I'm planning to blag it too :L
Oooh they're the topics I'm doing! yeah! most people are predicting a therapy of schiz. to come up which is PANTS cause they're so hard to learn!

Umm, maybe not, but to be fair this is a two hour exam, so Iif you haven't rushed the rest of the exam (made sure you've got as many marks as poss ect.) but you've still got, maybe, 15 minutes left to write a report you may as well write as much as you possibly can, the more detail you add the more marks you'll get.
And once you start writing a report you can't really stop cause so many things come to your mind about what the participants will have to do ect, so they're not too bad :smile:
Reply 774
Original post by DaHogz
Lx

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
Omg, why have you got like ANOTHER account...?

Oh well i did well in unit 3 though :wink: thankfully,how did you do in it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 775
Ah that's pants :/ but you must have a good memory! teaching yourself everything in four days and still setting a C!? that's fab! One of my best mates was revising for months, and completely slipped up on her exam and ended up with a D D:

Kind of yeah, appart from the statistical tests obv but once you've got your head round those you'll be fine :smile: yeah I'm planning to blag it too :L
Oooh they're the topics I'm doing! yeah! most people are predicting a therapy of schiz. to come up which is PANTS cause they're so hard to learn!

Umm, maybe not, but to be fair this is a two hour exam, so Iif you haven't rushed the rest of the exam (made sure you've got as many marks as poss ect.) but you've still got, maybe, 15 minutes left to write a report you may as well write as much as you possibly can, the more detail you add the more marks you'll get.
And once you start writing a report you can't really stop cause so many things come to your mind about what the participants will have to do ect, so they're not too bad :smile:

No way lol. That's what I have the worsest lol. I forget, and take ages to 'understand' anything, because i'm just generally slow haha :tongue:
Thanks :redface:, one of the topics i chose to do on my own,diffeent from my psychology class. and my teacher hated me for that loool.Iguess i'm just stubborn..
It's getting the technique right. after months of trying to figure the structure out, i finally figured it out, and so i just made like 4 essays each day, of the predictions only, of what i thought was going to come up. Big mistak! never ever do that...only 1 out of the 3 i learnt came up...so thats how i messed up.

Haha, it's okay once you've got the schizphrenia in essay structures for each spread. Well if they're saying it's therapies, i'm guessing it'sgoing to be psychological therapies, since the biological therapies has already came up.
and i think itsgoing to be classification and diagnosis as well, cos that has came up in every single year some houw..

Well our teacher for research methods has just been going thru past papaers with us, she has n't bother teaching us the stuff first :/
But i'msure iot is a good technique as well. cos it is quite sciencly-asked those qwuestions. but the book doesn;thave everything...i tried answeering one past question, and i copied exactly what it said in book,and i got it wrong :s-smilie:
Reply 776
Original post by EffKayy
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
Omg, why have you got like ANOTHER account...?

Oh well i did well in unit 3 though :wink: thankfully,how did you do in it?

Allow me :smug:

They weren't my accounts, they were a friends accounts lol.

Yeah you're such a chat ****ter lol.You're like 'im gonna fail' but you do perfectly fine, cos you are clever!

But do yo remember Jan's thread! :rofl: it were soo funny.we were fighting like every single second..

I did okayish for myself, but i'm resitting it,to see if i can get higher. :smile:
Reply 777
Original post by DaHogz
Allow me :smug:

They weren't my accounts, they were a friends accounts lol.

Yeah you're such a chat ****ter lol.You're like 'im gonna fail' but you do perfectly fine, cos you are clever!

But do yo remember Jan's thread! :rofl: it were soo funny.we were fighting like every single second..

I did okayish for myself, but i'm resitting it,to see if i can get higher. :smile:

HAHAHA!! I know we actually did argue all the time LOOL.

How's revision for this and what are you doing..? I'm doing schiz and addiction. Hate addiction, but the rest is ok.

And oh ok :smile: hope the questions are much nicer this time =]
Reply 778
Original post by DaHogz
No way lol. That's what I have the worsest lol. I forget, and take ages to 'understand' anything, because i'm just generally slow haha :tongue:
Thanks :redface:, one of the topics i chose to do on my own,diffeent from my psychology class. and my teacher hated me for that loool.Iguess i'm just stubborn..
It's getting the technique right. after months of trying to figure the structure out, i finally figured it out, and so i just made like 4 essays each day, of the predictions only, of what i thought was going to come up. Big mistak! never ever do that...only 1 out of the 3 i learnt came up...so thats how i messed up.

Haha, it's okay once you've got the schizphrenia in essay structures for each spread. Well if they're saying it's therapies, i'm guessing it'sgoing to be psychological therapies, since the biological therapies has already came up.
and i think itsgoing to be classification and diagnosis as well, cos that has came up in every single year some houw..

Well our teacher for research methods has just been going thru past papaers with us, she has n't bother teaching us the stuff first :/
But i'msure iot is a good technique as well. cos it is quite sciencly-asked those qwuestions. but the book doesn;thave everything...i tried answeering one past question, and i copied exactly what it said in book,and i got it wrong :s-smilie:

Oh got that's brave, my psychology teacher would have my head on a stick if I decided to learn something different :L Ah I don't dare guess which are gonna come up incase that happens to me, I'm such a wuss :L I'd rather just know them all and feel confident (ish) anbout any essay :L

Oooh I'd prefer psychological over biological definitaly! :O What kind of teacher does that? surely they can't expect you to get past questions right if you haven't gone over everything before? :L Have you got your notes from when you did research methods at AS? they halped me out loads cause they let me recap on what i'd already learnt :smile:
Reply 779
The exam itself is 2hours, meaning 1 hour for research methods, and half an hour for the essays really. But I don't think research methods actually takes an hour to complete - meaning more time for the essays =)

Quick Reply

Latest