Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    The exam itself is 2hours, meaning 1 hour for research methods, and half an hour for the essays really. But I don't think research methods actually takes an hour to complete - meaning more time for the essays =)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    HAHAHA!! I know we actually did argue all the time LOOL.

How's revision for this and what are you doing..? I'm doing schiz and addiction. Hate addiction, but the rest is ok.

And oh ok hope the questions are much nicer this time =]
    Lolit was defo all good jokes thoooo. I guess it was jusrt stress of exams and hormones were buzzin!

This one is even worse, cos it's much diffuclt, and the content is larger.
    I'm doing schizphrenia, which is relatively small. But Media, is quite large, but common sense..but u still goto learn it..
    yeah addiction seems difficult..
    how you finding research methods?

Lol no such thing as nice question...(hope they ask the ones we revised ) just praayyyyy

(Original post by RachelM94)
    Oh got that's brave, my psychology teacher would have my head on a stick if I decided to learn something different :L Ah I don't dare guess which are gonna come up incase that happens to me, I'm such a wuss :L I'd rather just know them all and feel confident (ish) anbout any essay :L

Oooh I'd prefer psychological over biological definitaly! :O What kind of teacher does that? surely they can't expect you to get past questions right if you haven't gone over everything before? :L Have you got your notes from when you did research methods at AS? they halped me out loads cause they let me recap on what i'd already learnt
    ahaha, yeah.most of my teachers dont deserve the respect. But there are some really good teacherd as well, whoi'm extra nice too..

I knoo lol, thats good. But i had no choice, so i took that HUGe risk,and it didnt really pay off!

lool thats standard in our school. Also note that it's in the 2nd rank from the bottom in the whole of north of england
    yeah i like psychologty and biology, i find the sicen part interesting, since i miss me science!!
    lol i got rid of ma notes from ASthinking, i got rid of it for ever!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those of you doing sz, a quick question.
    For the psychological explanations of sz does the sociocultural factors count as 1 explanation or is it part of another explanation . And if it isn't an explanation, how do you add it in to an essay?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The exam itself is 2hours, meaning 1 hour for research methods, and half an hour for the essays really. But I don't think research methods actually takes an hour to complete - meaning more time for the essays =)
    My plan is about forty minutes per essay, throw in some planning time and then work through research methods; it's thirty five marks but they questions are short and choppy, in my practice papers I can do them in no time ;D
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know what came up as a question on schizophrenia from jan 2012 many thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurentommo)
    Hey, does anyone know what came up as a question on schizophrenia from jan 2012 many thanks
    Discuss issues associated with the classification and/or diagnosis of schizophrenia. (8 marks + 16 marks)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions on what might come up for addictive behaviour or schizophrenia? Hoping they ask something about interventions for addictive behaviour

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19941994)
    Does anyone have any predictions on what might come up for addictive behaviour or schizophrenia? Hoping they ask something about interventions for addictive behaviour

Schiz -
    Clinical characteristics (4)
    Psychological therapies (20) .
    Could be biological but most likely psychological.

Addiction -
    Theory of planned behaviour hasnt ever come up.
    Also the role of media might come up, as well as biological interventions
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurentommo)
    Issues surrounding classification and diagnosis.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For the evaluation of therapies, for schizophrenia, is it purely on appropriateness and effectiveness because I don't know how else really to evaluate them, maybe throw in some IDA and methodological/ethical issues with supporting research?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert McGeachan)
    For the evaluation of therapies, for schizophrenia, is it purely on appropriateness and effectiveness because I don't know how else really to evaluate them, maybe throw in some IDA and methodological/ethical issues with supporting research?

I would like to know this as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Schiz -
    Clinical characteristics (4)
    Psychological therapies (20) .
    Could be biological but most likely psychological.

Addiction -
    Theory of planned behaviour hasnt ever come up.
    Also the role of media might come up, as well as biological interventions
    Thank you!! do you think it's unlikely that there will be a question on biological explanations for addictive behaviour? Also is TPB part of the cognitive model? I've never seen a question on the cognitive model on any past papers

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for the probability and significance info for research methods???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    heyyy guys.

Im doin depression and addiction. and my addiction teacher has... well... not taught us well..
    Does anyone have or know where i can get good info/notes on theory of planned behaviour, psy interventions, biological inteventions and public health interventions.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    For media, I'm not sure about what might come up, but I'm pretty sure intense fandom (celebrity worship/celebrity stalking won't come up)

as in January 2012 "Outline and evaluate research into celebrity stalking" (4 + 6)
    and in June 2011 "Outline and evaluate findings of research into intense fandom" (4 + 6)

I hope this topic doesn't come up anyway

But just in case, does anyone have any notes on celebrity stalking (not celebrity worship) as the new spec says to focus on the stalking of celebrities and my teacher only taught us about stalking in general :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert McGeachan)

(Original post by DaHogz)
    I would like to know this as well.
    Definately include IDA say how Biological therapies (for example) don't take things like home environments into account (e.g. double bind theory, Expressed emotion ect.) Hence the theory behind the therapy is reductionist as It states schizophrenia is only caused by biological/genetic factors and so the therapy may not target everything that may cause the disorder

But yeah include supporting research too, There's a main study (for biological therapies) by Davis et al - looking at placebo effects, Then you can always evaluate placebo effects using Ross and Read's idea of why placebo tests aren't valid. And yep, definately use ethical issues and synoptic links
    Hope that helps a bit
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here is my predictions, based on the last 6 papers:

Depression - Diagnosis & Classification and/or Biological explanations

Addiction - Cognitive models, TPB, Role of Media
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If anyones doing phobias- the issues of reliability and validity might come up as a 24 marker, my teacher said that question would not be more than 10 marks but I looked at the schizophrenia question for jan 2012 and it did come as a 24 marker ...so its possible
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloomyrainbow)
    heyyy guys.

Im doin depression and addiction. and my addiction teacher has... well... not taught us well..
    Does anyone have or know where i can get good info/notes on theory of planned behaviour, psy interventions, biological inteventions and public health interventions.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    http://psychology4a.com/addiction%204.htm

That website has really good addiction notes

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyimdec)
    Here is my predictions, based on the last 6 papers:

Depression - Diagnosis & Classification and/or Biological explanations

Addiction - Cognitive models, TPB, Role of Media
    If we get a question on cognitive models, would we just write about self-regulation and the TPB?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2013
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.