The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Please can someone explain to me type 1 and Type 2 errors??

when is it a T1 error and when is it a T2?
Reply 1281
Original post by amber :)
Any predictions for Schizophrenia?

I'm thinking Psychological explanation or 2 + therapies :smile:

PSYA4.jpg

Here's the average marks needed per Q (excluding the fact RM is out of 35 and the others 24) to get each grade

Same! I think Therapies (Psychological or Biological)
Reply 1282
Original post by Hamsey45
Hiya

Does anyone have any ideas what might come up for schizoprhenia. I predicted Psychological therapies/Explanations of schizophrenia.

Anyone have any other ideas?!?!

yes i also think psychological therapies
Does anyone know of any IDA for the elaboration likelihood model? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1284
Original post by becky465
Would anyone mind having a look at my essay for cognitive explanations of schizophrenia...any feedback would be much appreciated. And i was struggling for IDAs so any more would be great!

hey it looks pretty good. So for psychological explanations if you just write about The Cognitive explanation, that should be enough?
Original post by freddy
Please can someone explain to me type 1 and Type 2 errors??

when is it a T1 error and when is it a T2?

A Type 1 error is when the researcher incorrectly rejects the null hypothesis and accepts the alternative. This tends to occur when the significance level is too high as they think it's significant when it actually isn't.

A Type 2 error is when the researcher incorrectly accepts the null hypothesis and rejects the alternative. This tends to occur when the significance level is too low as they don't think it's significant when it actually is.

It's just one of things you need to learn, I'm afriad. I still struggle with it! :frown:
anyone have any notes they can send or a good website they know explaining research methods, stuff like chi squared etc :frown: im terrible at research methods and unfortunately need an A on the exam :frown: fml
Original post by RachelM94
That's definately got very high A01 marks :smile: for evaluation in mine I've put how it only explains positive symptoms but doesn't explain how negative symptoms of schizophrenia occur.
Also, These cognitive deficits could cause schizophrenia however they could also be an effect of the disorder.
Synoptic links such as the theory focusing too much on the role of nurture can be added as this explanation doesn't explain why high concordance rates are found in families with the disorder - suggesting that there is a genetic element to the disorder (nature)

Thanks!
Reply 1288
Original post by Harrimusic
Does anyone know of any IDA for the elaboration likelihood model? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Reductionist - assumes we cannot take both the central and peripheral route at the same time.
Petty & Cacioppo suggest they can be processed at the same time and overlap one another - When evaluating a message you may be deeply thinking about and scrutinising the content of the message, while also looking at the speaker and questioning whether they LOOK reliable etc.
Reply 1289
I thought we only needed to include IDA's in PSYA3?

At least that's what my teacher said :s-smilie:
Original post by mkigz77
hey it looks pretty good. So for psychological explanations if you just write about The Cognitive explanation, that should be enough?

yeah it should be, i'd probably make sure you learn two though just in case they ask for two explanations but i always think its easier to write about one if you can cause you have more room to go into detail and therefore make more evaluation
Reply 1291
Hey guys for Schizophrenia would the Cognitive explanation be enough to write for Psychological explanations of schizo?
Reply 1292
Original post by mkigz77
Hey guys for Schizophrenia would the Cognitive explanation be enough to write for Psychological explanations of schizo?

For an (8 + 16) marker probably not - you'd need a lot of content. You could focus on it as your main one and then briefly explain Psychodynamic or Family Systems theory (schizophrenic mothers)
Reply 1293
Reckon there's any point in looking over the Viral Hypothesis (influenza during pregnancy) for Schizo?
Original post by Sarah'
I thought we only needed to include IDA's in PSYA3?

At least that's what my teacher said :s-smilie:

Quote from one of the examiners reports:
"On PSYA4, there is a specific requirement to refer to approaches, issues and debates only in Section B: Psychology in Action, and even there the rubric contains the phrase ‘where appropriate’. In Section A, there is no specific requirement to address approaches, issues and debates, although the nature of most of the questions invites their consideration. Candidates should focus on answering the question that has been set and introduce discussion of approaches, issues and debates only where it is sensible to do so and where such references will contribute to effective evaluation/commentary."

Section A is schizophrenia/depression/OCD and Section B is media/addiction/anomalistic.
Hey, can anyone tell me exactly what are the main explanations for the influence of the media on pro-social behaviour? As the spec says at least two explanations are needed and i am not sure which ones to revise?

thank youu :smile:
hello can someone please clarify something for me: looking at the 2012 spec changes it seems as though the chapter 'the influence of attitudes on decision-making' has been removed... is this the case? does that mean we don't need to know the dissonance theory and self-perception theory???
Thanks
Original post by annagoesbroom
Quote from one of the examiners reports:
"On PSYA4, there is a specific requirement to refer to approaches, issues and debates only in Section B: Psychology in Action, and even there the rubric contains the phrase ‘where appropriate’. In Section A, there is no specific requirement to address approaches, issues and debates, although the nature of most of the questions invites their consideration. Candidates should focus on answering the question that has been set and introduce discussion of approaches, issues and debates only where it is sensible to do so and where such references will contribute to effective evaluation/commentary."

Section A is schizophrenia/depression/OCD and Section B is media/addiction/anomalistic.

It's the other way around, IDA for Section A, but no requirement for for IDA in Section B. Have a look:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12-SOC.PDF
Original post by thursdayJ
hello can someone please clarify something for me: looking at the 2012 spec changes it seems as though the chapter 'the influence of attitudes on decision-making' has been removed... is this the case? does that mean we don't need to know the dissonance theory and self-perception theory???
Thanks

Yes, that correct, stuff on decision making has been removed. Also take a look at this for other changes:
Can anyone tell me how many marks the paper is out of? Also how many raw marks is 40UMS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending