The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thelooby94
For the binomial expansion question, the first part was expanding to the power or 2/3 then you had to find using your answer to this, 100 to the power of 1/3 which tried to trick us -.-

Which is 10^2/3
Reply 41
I eventually got the last part of binomial, did first parts, and forgot to do the 8 ^2/3 when i took it out of brackets, Luckily i realised when i did the last part and it was very different answer to actual cube root 100.

there was hardly any marks for this thou, same with all the questions i could do haha.
Although at least i did get the 9 marker one, that was surprisingly easy.

Struggled on the exponential growth question after first couple easy marks.
and couldn't do the trig identities, what was all that about, i'm usually really good at them lol.

Didn't even get time for the 6 mark vector question.
I hope people did struggle cos otherwise i'm so not gonnna get the A i need, especially after struggling on C3 aswel.

this was definitely not a good weekend haha
Original post by chris669
I did this but got 4 as the last co-ordinate for some reason

I think it might of been 4! I'm not sure.. I can't really remember but whatever i put was right because it was a simple addition just can't remember what I added together :P
Reply 43
What did people get for the tan(a+b) integers
Reply 44
What did people get for the tan(a+b) integers

Like someone else said, i got 3 and 4 as the integers, but the top one i got the sign the other way around, which i just couldn't figure out.....:confused:
:rolleyes:
Original post by buttermints
Which is 10^2/3

Omg lol!
Original post by skippy83
Like someone else said, i got 3 and 4 as the integers, but the top one i got the sign the other way around, which i just couldn't figure out.....:confused:

I got the sign the wrong way round too! and so did loads of my mates :/ in the end I went back through changing the signs trying to blag it.. hope it doesn't backfire! :L
Reply 47
Original post by rub em out
I got the sign the wrong way round too! and so did loads of my mates :/ in the end I went back through changing the signs trying to blag it.. hope it doesn't backfire! :L

I managed to get it the right way round, but by the sounds of it no one else did
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
I eventually got the last part of binomial, did first parts, and forgot to do the 8 ^2/3 when i took it out of brackets, Luckily i realised when i did the last part and it was very different answer to actual cube root 100.

there was hardly any marks for this thou, same with all the questions i could do haha.
Although at least i did get the 9 marker one, that was surprisingly easy.

Struggled on the exponential growth question after first couple easy marks.
and couldn't do the trig identities, what was all that about, i'm usually really good at them lol.

Didn't even get time for the 6 mark vector question.
I hope people did struggle cos otherwise i'm so not gonnna get the A i need, especially after struggling on C3 aswel.

this was definitely not a good weekend haha

Was the question cube root 100? because i thought it was, the one for estimating the binomial expansion for it?
Reply 49
I managed to get it the right way round, but by the sounds of it no one else did

i was kind of hoping its a mistake, haha, and if it was tho i'm a bit annoyed cos i spent quite a lot of time going back over it trying to see why, and thats time i really needed.

How did you do it to get the right signs???

and i know its all speculation, but anyone got any thoughts on grade boundaries? cos I just looked at jan 11 mark boundaries and i'd be on a low C if not a D :eek:
I got 45 def marks, but not a lot else....

and i really need high C's for both C3 and C4 minimum to get my A. I am really worried and i know i can't do anything but i like speculation hahaha :wink:
Reply 50
Original post by Taylor_R
Was the question cube root 100? because i thought it was, the one for estimating the binomial expansion for it?

yeah it was, was a bit of a sneaky one haha
Reply 51
Anyone else get 667/224 or something like that for the approximation? Defo got A=3, and B=-5 in response to the other dude
sounds familiar :smile:
Reply 53
yeah it was, was a bit of a sneaky one haha

I don't mean to sound sh**ty but, unless i am missing something, what is sneaky about cube root 100? you just cube both sides, and thats it, to find the value of x?
Reply 54
I reckon we're all lucky because they have only JUST started INTRODUCING high scoring questions, people aren't used to it, and the grade boundaries i believe should reflect that.
Original post by Taylor_R
I reckon we're all lucky because they have only JUST started INTRODUCING high scoring questions, people aren't used to it, and the grade boundaries i believe should reflect that.

yeah hoping for grade boundaries similar to those in june! Really need 100ums on this one
Reply 56
I used tan b=-1/root3 with tan a 4/3, using these with the angle formula. I may have got one of the sign the wrong way round, but it was definitly 3 and 4

This is exactly what I got :smile:.
-root3/3 is the same as -1/root 3...

No idea how othe people did it, but I just did 1/root3.

Tried to do the next question, I had my signs the wrong way round. I put a minus infront of the -1/root3 and I got the same signs at the form the question told us...

But basically... Long story short. Looks like I'm retaking this summer =(. C3 and C4 ='(.
Reply 57
Aslong as I end up getting an A overall in Maths I won't bother re-taking C4 to get an A* :tongue:.
Original post by anil10100
On that bloody tan (a + b) question, I got the same thing but the signs didn't match up. Checked it about 5 times, I even subbed in the values of a and b and my answer got the same thing, wtfffffff I had like m =3 n=4 or the other way round?

Haven't looked through to see if this has been answered. But at one point you had to multiply through by root 3 over root 3 otherwise you don't quite get what they want.
For the cube root 100 I put 10^2/3
8+6x=10
x=1/3
(from the last one)
4+2x-1/4x^2
sub in x=1/3 and got 167/36. Don't know whether it's right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending