The Student Room Group

Where does Eric Cantona rank among the all time greats?

Eric Cantona has to be one of the best players in the history of football. If Man U were down a goal or needed a goal to win the match, you could always count on Cantona to put the ball in the back of the net right at the last minute, making him a hero. So where do you rank him/how did you rate him?
Reply 1
When the posters follow the troll, it is because they think rep will be thrown into the mix
Reply 2
Original post by Fusion
When the posters follow the troll, it is because they think rep will be thrown into the mix

How is my post a 'troll'? If you can't answer the post properly, then gtfo....
#27th
Reply 4
Original post by Raving_Hippy
How is my post a 'troll'? If you can't answer the post properly, then gtfo....

Tbh I don't know what I inteneded
Reply 5
Surprisingly likeable for a French Manchester United player.
Top 20, he was a very good player.
Reply 7
Not sure but he would probably not get into my top five united players of all time behind the holy trinity, scholes and giggs just to name a few
Original post by DaveSmith99
Top 20, he was a very good player.

He is certainly one of the 20 best players to have played for Manchester United, with Charlton, Best, Keane, Edwards, Law, Giggs, Ronaldo, Schmeichel, Scholes, Viollet, etc.

The thing is that I'm not sure he was obviously better than any or all of those named here, and I can't think that half of the world's top 20 ever might have played for that one club, or for any one club.

I'd suggest him as one of the top 20 players of the early to middle 1990s.
Reply 9
he was a huge personality and one of the most technically gifted players to grace the Premier League.

Not one of the greatest of all time for me but still a very good player.
Original post by bradshawt

Original post by bradshawt
Not sure but he would probably not get into my top five united players of all time behind the holy trinity, scholes and giggs just to name a few

What?

For me, he was in a class above any player I have SEEN playing for United. Cant comment on the holy trinity.
Reply 11

I don't think he's up there with players like Zidane, Figo, Maradona, Pele etc. but I think he was certainly one of the best players to play in the prem, plus he was/is a massive character, but still a brilliant player, and this from a spurs fan!
Top 50.

He is brilliant on Fifa :lol:
There was never a dull moment with him.
While he's a great player, there's a few things stopping him being one of the greatest of all time. Because there's so many great players that are classed as "all time greats", you need to be someone really special to stand out even from those. When you think of great French footballers, at least for me, Cantona is a name that I'd come up with but not before Zidane or Platini. In terms of great strikers of all time, Cantona would be before the likes of Van Basten, Ronaldo, Baggio. And of course, the average football fan would probably tell you that Zidane, Pele, Messi and Maradona stand out as the best players ever. So in that regard, Cantona will fall short of being considered in the very top tier.

Having said that, anyone that watched Cantona in his prime knew how amazing he was. I'd consider him to be comparable to Christian Vieri - a player considered among the best in their position when they were at their best and people will acknowledge them as great players. But for one reason or another they won't make the top of many people's list - usually the fact that they're overshadowed by another.
While he's a great player, there's a few things stopping him being one of the all time greats. Because there's so many great players that are classed as "all time greats", you need to be someone really special to stand out even from those. When you think of great French footballers, at least for me, Cantona is a name that I'd come up with but not before Zidane or Platini. In terms of great strikers of all time, Cantona would be before the likes of Van Basten, Ronaldo, Baggio. And of course, the average football fan would probably tell you that Zidane, Pele, Messi and Maradona stand out as the best players ever. So in that regard, Cantona will fall short of being considered in the very top tier.

Having said that, anyone that watched Cantona in his prime knew how amazing he was. I'd consider him to be comparable to Christian Vieri - a player considered among the best in their position when they were at their best and people will acknowledge them as great players. But for one reason or another they won't make the top of many people's list - usually the fact that they're overshadowed by another.
Original post by Stu Laverty

Original post by Stu Laverty
While he's a great player, there's a few things stopping him being one of the greatest of all time. Because there's so many great players that are classed as "all time greats", you need to be someone really special to stand out even from those. When you think of great French footballers, at least for me, Cantona is a name that I'd come up with but not before Zidane or Platini. In terms of great strikers of all time, Cantona would be before the likes of Van Basten, Ronaldo, Baggio. And of course, the average football fan would probably tell you that Zidane, Pele, Messi and Maradona stand out as the best players ever. So in that regard, Cantona will fall short of being considered in the very top tier.

True say.
He was a quality player, probably in the top 3 in the prem ever, the others being Henry and Ronaldo, but falls just short of the Pele Zidane maradonna Messi category. In the same one as Van Basten, Cruyff, Zico (I hear) and so on.
Cantona is a true great one of PL greats thats for sure. I think his suspension was a killer, thats when he was dropped from the French team, missed Euro 96 and then the WC in 98. I think had he been part of the team that won there, he would have cemented his place among the greats. The fact he didn't really hurt him in terms of international success and because of that I think global récognition was lacking hence only a 3rd place Ballon d'Or outside of England's awards.
Not very high
Reply 19
Great player... But he retired aged just 31. His own choice not forced by injury. Could have had another 3 top years. Came to prominence late too so his career was really to short to be considered a true all time great.

Quick Reply

Latest