The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Az_016
lol thanks. btw congrats on the cambridge offer and good luck in meeting it!

thanks g :colone: what year you in?
fml really not happy with that. 7c i got lazy and couldnt be bothered to work out the new friction so just used the previous one with the force, not realising the force was part of the friction in 7a and b. resitting from last year, needed 6 more ums to get an A overall in maths as, dont think i managed that -.- i guess a second resit is in order in june. baaaaah humbug. it was such a different style to the previous years, that moments question threw me off a bit, and made the angle with -j not j ffs. i hate mechanics with a passion.
Reply 202
Original post by geditor
Would I lose marks for showing two methods for a question even though they both get me the same answer.
For question 1b, I used the idea that Impulse on Q = -(Impulse on P) to give me the mass (as Newtons 3 law states every force produces an equal and opposite reaction). But then I realised that it may not be the one they give in the mark scheme, so underneath I wrote "Method 2" and solved it using the conservation of momentum principle.
Would I still get 3 out of 3 marks for that question?

yep
Reply 203
Original post by 94george94
Arsey, for part 8b, if you rounded Mu to 0.73 instead of having 0.726 how many marks do you think you would lose?

none
Reply 204
WHAT? I thought that in question 4b RC was no more equal to zero??
There goes my hope of 100UMS...:colonhash:
I seriously hope that I misread the solution
Reply 205
Hi guys, sorry to post this again, but I couldn't get any reply...

For 8C I got the retardation right, however I misread the question, worked out the time between the string snapped off and the object came to a stop instead of the distance....how many marks do you guys think I'd lose?

thanks a lot!!
Reply 206
My diagrams are not the best, I labelled the properly ect, but for the acceleration-time graph i drew 2 lines to make the acceleration stand out for each different acceleration and shaded it. Do I lose marks?
Reply 207
For the vector distance question, I used my time of 1.25s into an equation in terms of i and j.

From that I got the J components as 0, obviously, and the i as 13.5

Therefore 13.5^2+0^2 = distance^2

Giving distance as 13.5, the right answer.

Have I lost method marks? It's completely different to Arsey's.
Reply 208
Original post by Arsey
none

How many marks would I lose for

1) 17/12 mgd instead of 17/12mg

2) -3 instead of 3 for the third vector question

3) Joining the acc/time graph with solid line not dotted and forgetting to put accelration values ( I put time though )

Really silly mistakes. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 209
Original post by Alpha5
That's what I thought, but I took the moment about c, so I luckily got the correct answer.
What UMS do you think 70 raw marks will get me?

Paper was hella easy, I reckon you will get 90+
Reply 210
Original post by Vaner
Both vectors had 2J

Not Zero J at all.

BUT i used the equation of p-q, so the DIFFERENCE between them was in fact zero (because one was west of the other).
Reply 211
Original post by 94george94
Final question, for the time above 6.6m I misread my handwriting and did (27/7)-(3/7) rather than (22/7)-(23/7), my working is exactly the same as Arsey's up until that point, how many marks out of 6 would I lose?

1 accuracy
Reply 212
Original post by yahhhhhh

Anybody know how he'd do?

yeah done the same thing
Original post by 0range
You would get method marks
Thanks for replying, any idea how many? If I remember correctly it was a 4 then a 5 then a 5 mark question for no.8, and the method was correct for all of them, just one of the numbers was wrong.
Reply 214
Original post by snow leopard
What's with the question marks next to Q4's mark quantities, out of interest?

I couldn't believe a) was worth 3 marks, complete joke

similar for b) until I realised I hadn't read all the qu
Reply 215
Looking through this thread it seems that every othe person posting is in the same boat as you mate, so hopefully the grade boundaries will be kind.

But then at the beginning Arsey says its quite an easy paper :frown:
Reply 216
Original post by iamglass
Same. but you can always retake it again. i think i'm going to have to :rolleyes:

LOL sadtimes I thought I was saying goodbye to mechanics :frown:
Reply 217
Well this was my first official m1 paper so yeah, don't have much experience on this but 65/64 would make sense for an A? I crammed most of the m1 revision in the last 3/4 days so if I found it easy then I'd reckon most people did.
Yeah I know what you mean about method marks, they ALWAYS bite me in the back...

Original post by ms93
LOL sadtimes I thought I was saying goodbye to mechanics :frown:

How can you not like mechanics?
Reply 218
Arsey, I ended up with 16m for the last one. I resolved still using the original force. So I got the wrong acceleration, hence wrong distance. How many marks do you think I will get? Thanks
Original post by Arsey
I couldn't believe a) was worth 3 marks, complete joke

similar for b) until I realised I hadn't read all the qu

a) was actually worth 4 marks :rolleyes: quite excessive, made me doubt myself initially.

Also would you know how if giving the wrong units loses you marks? I think for the vector question asking for speed, I may have put m/s instead of km/s :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending