Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M1 Jan 2012 Edexcel Post-Exam discussion - Solutions and Paper in first post

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a heart attack in the exam and I think I flopped this I lost around 23 marks so I doubt Ill even get a B. FML another resit for me It seems. It was definatley harder than last year no doubt Moments, SUVAT, and the last part of 8 where killers. I panicked so much I practically couldnt even attempt Moments question -9 marks, couldn't do first part of Suvat and seems I got second part of Suvat wrong.-9. Did not find the distance of vectors -3. I got last question wrong too -6. I missed a number on my acceleration graph. So Assuming I made no more errors and receive 0 marks for working.

Ill be lucky with 50/75, which was around 66 ums last year, but considering this was apparently an easy paper (Which I refute). I did worse than my 60 ums last year.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH. I hate maths exams.

I worked so hard for this as well FML.( Why was there only one resolving question when I actually managed to learn how to do it)
    I better do better at C3.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    On 8C, i did the exact same method, but i stupidly miscalculated the value of deceleration although i got the same equation. So i then used an incorrect value of a in the suvat equation... Does that mean all marks lost?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    same, i got like 16m in the end. But i think we will get atleast 1 because we attempted to use the correct SUVAT eq. with V=0. u=..., ect i calculated the wrong acc. all because of a wrong R value.
    Yeah, 16.4. Disappointed that I got it wrong
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't think this was easy as people were making out.

Questions 1 and 2 fair enough. 3a is unusual and would of caught a few out I'd say. The moments question wasn't nice either, it took me a while to figure out what to do. The time interval with the projectile also would of caught a fair few out. The distance time graph stuff was okay I thought but many may of forgotten what a acceleration time graph looks like. Vectors is just vectors in general, I couldnt do the last part. The last question was okay but I know I have nothing on the last part.

I don't think they will be astronomically high if the grade boundaries raise. Just my opinion, may sound idiotic to some.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqwerty)
    Yeah, 16.4. Disappointed that I got it wrong
    You took into account the component of P when working out R, when you got that answer. I reckon you will still get 3/5 for method marks and stuff.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beresford George)
    You took into account the component of P when working out R, when you got that answer. I reckon you will still get 3/5 for method marks and stuff.
    Yh same problem here, hopefully 3 marks. That will be a big help.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beresford George)
    Indeed I did. Hopefully I will, 70/75 isn't the end of the world though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    was it okay to put 17/12dmg ??
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the angle one on the vector question, this is what i did:

I drew a diagram (like in arseys answers).
    I then wrote:

tan(theta)=12/3
    tan(theta)=4
    theta=tan^-1(4)
    theta=75.96 degrees
    theta=76 degrees (to the nearest degree).

How many marks would i lose for this?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundary predictions anyone?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    this was a very easy paper indeed......
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    On Q4) I got to 17/4 mg
    then just multiplied out by 9.8 to get 41.7m how many marks will I lose?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Grade boundary predictions anyone?
    I can imagine 69 being an A
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When you see it...)
    Oh crap. You sure I would literally lose the marks for that? How is it wrong?
    EDIT:
    I suppose it is technically wrong because my diagram implied that there was more than one value of a for the same value of t, but then again there is no feasible scenario where the acceleration would suddenly go from 15/16 to 0 (it would have to decrease, perhaps over a short period of time, which would make my diagram basically correct).
    How many marks out of three would I lose for this question then?
    Yes, because it specifically mentions it in the previous mark schemes . You'd just lose one for the shape.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    Far too high.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance. Never been a paper with an A boundary as high, and there have been many papers easier than this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icedragon)
    Not a chance. Never been a paper with an A boundary as high, and there have been many papers easier than this.
    Just because the A* student room students found it easy doesn't mean it will be that high - I agree with you. There were several questions that people would of slipped up on. I'd say 63/64ish is a better guess for an A.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen it be that high before*, only for A2 ones (S2/C4 Jan '11). Then again it was a first for those at the time, and it could a first for M1 this year.

*for an AS module
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by POWW!)
    On Q4) I got to 17/4 mg
    then just multiplied out by 9.8 to get 41.7m how many marks will I lose?
    You shouldn't loose any marks as mathematically it is the same thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Very easy I thought
    For question 6e, when the acceleration increased or decreased, I drew a vertical solid line rather than a dotted line. Also, for 8b I gave the coefficient of friction to 2 signifant figures. Will I lose any marks for these? Everything else I got correct.
Updated: May 12, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.