The Student Room Group

D1 Jan 2012 Edexcel Post-Exam Discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by otrivine

how did u find it??? think i done terrible how how come in increase i thought decrase!

Other than the postman question, I think I did fine. But it didn't specify a start/end node, so the minimum length is surely when the graph is made semi-eulerian, and the two remaining odd nodes are the start/finish nodes?
Reply 41
Original post by JOR2010
Other than the postman question, I think I did fine. But it didn't specify a start/end node, so the minimum length is surely when the graph is made semi-eulerian, and the two remaining odd nodes are the start/finish nodes?

i got drew the correct lines and did the correct working but i labelled the feasible wrong how many marks wil i lose/
Reply 42
Original post by bethany18
Oh :frown: for some reason for 2a that C had an odd valency(dont know what i was thinking), will i lose all marks for that question or still get 1 or something for doing the correct working out?

Also i didnt include C in my critical path for the last one but did F and I, do i lose all marks for that?
Reply 43
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
not sure, 60+ for an A.

definitions are normally terribly answered, as will the dummy questions.

I think the postie question will be a bloodbath too.

LP was pretty kind.

Surely Edexcel MUST allow more than one answer for the postie question, as no start/end node was specified, and therefore (you even said yourself), the minimum route is shorter when you start and finish at an end node.
I mean, i got the answer to be 139 miles, which is shorter than your answer, starting/finishing at E/F and repeating the arc, weight 10.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
For the second dummy, isnt the fact that J is dependent on G and H a perfectly valid reason?
Reply 45

i got drew the correct lines and did the correct working but i labelled the feasible wrong how many marks wil i lose/

probably 1.
Reply 46
i drew a profit line of 60x + 20y = 1200. is that ok?
Reply 47
also for the lower bound of workers i did 22/8 and therefore got the right answer, 3. will i get the marks?
Original post by JOR2010
But the route inspection did NOT specify a start node, surely the shortest path was starting at E/F, and adding the arc worth 10 to the tree? (EG SEMI-EULERIAN?)

YESSS!!!thats exactly what i thought. i re read the question and realised there was no start node specified so i just made it semi eularian giving the shortest route...how can that be wrong!
yeee. thats right mate
Reply 50
Hi,
Just want to ask something for the question on matchings. Did we have to draw the improved and maximum matching on the 2 figures in the answer booklet?? I listed which node joins to which but I just realised I didn't draw it on the figures. So am I gonna lose any marks for not drawing it even though I stated which vertex joins to which. Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by pepeeglesfield

Original post by pepeeglesfield
YESSS!!!thats exactly what i thought. i re read the question and realised there was no start node specified so i just made it semi eularian giving the shortest route...how can that be wrong!

Exactly, I find it weird that Arsey says it's the other one, I've mailed Edexcel, and hope Arsey will think both will be okay. I mean, my path turned out to be 139 miles, which is less than Arsey's! What did you get?
Reply 52
For the chinese postman question, as it didn't specify that you must start and finish at the same vertice, i only traversed the shortest distance between two vertices with odd valencies. So i disagree with the solution in the paper, surely you cannot assume that you must start and finsih at the same vertice if it doesn't specify?
Reply 53
Original post by RG1994

Original post by RG1994
For the chinese postman question, as it didn't specify that you must start and finish at the same vertice, i only traversed the shortest distance between two vertices with odd valencies. So i disagree with the solution in the paper, surely you cannot assume that you must start and finsih at the same vertice if it doesn't specify?

Exactly, there are quite a few of us here who have done that, and we're right, and those who did the usual doubling of path between 4 odd nodes are technically wrong!
To get the route inspection problem right you had to add the shortest length of the two nodes which were not part of the canal, with the original length + canal length, as they required you to start and finish at the same node, i dont see why people added only the canal as this would make the graph only Semi-Eulerian
is there anyone who has found the markscheme for physics??????
Original post by JOR2010

edexcel d1 page 67: route inspection (Chinese postman) algorithm can be used to find the shortest route that traverses every arc atleast once and returns to the starting point.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
for dijkastras i got 115?

I got 115 tooo??

dang man

I am defo getting U in this paper
I got 149 for prims and kruskals but I don't know if it was a calculator error as in I typed in the wrong digit or if I selected the wrong edges... How many marks would I lose for getting 149 instead of 148? And how many marks would I lose for getting 115 in djikstras for part A)? I also did 115 for B) but would I get most marks as method marks for A)?
guys i think i know this .usrename. he is the genius of our college. he thinks wikipedia is a dating site

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending