The Student Room Group

Too attached to my dog?

Sometimes, I feel like I'm too attached to my dog. In some ways, she feels like the child I haven't had yet. I coddle her and will do stuff to make her happy or more comfortable (take her to the dog park even when I feel like crap, give her more than half of my queen-sized bed even though she's only 7 lbs and I'm a good 6'2", hurry home when I get off work in order to spend time with her/let her our of her little mini-house, etc). Which, she is extremely clingy which can be cute but also annoying. If I move so much as an inch she gets up and either follows me or shifts over so she can lean on me again. So, it's not like the affection isn't returned.

A few times I have cut short time with friends in order to go home and make sure she's okay. It just feels like I'm a bit too attached. I had another dog before this one and even though I adored her, I was never quite as attached to her as my current dog. Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYnX9NwB1k

How can anybody not be attached to dogs?
Reply 2
I go through the EXACT same thing with my dog. She's a little papillon and our whole world revolves arounds her.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
She was sent to you by some unkown force (fate you can say) to make you happy and vice versa. Nothing to be ashamed about. She won't live as long as you so show her all the love you can.
In my family we believe animals are ancestors sent to look after you and though I don't believe in such mumbo jumbo when I look at my dog it almost seems like it could be true :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by JohnC2211
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYnX9NwB1k

How can anybody not be attached to dogs?

My heart just melted! :love:

Original post by NZNush
I go through the EXACT same thing with my dog. She's a little papillon and our whole world revolves arounds her.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
She was sent to you by some unkown force (fate you can say) to make you happy and vice versa. Nothing to be ashamed about. She won't live as long as you so show her all the love you can.
In my family we believe animals are ancestors sent to look after you and though I don't believe in such mumbo jumbo when I look at my dog it almost seems like it could be true :biggrin:

Thanks for the input! I wish dogs lived at least half as long as humans. :frown:
Reply 4
I think the connection between you and your dog is beautiful and not something to be worried about. People who don't own dogs may not get the attachment but I do. I am the same with my dog. He's a small fluffy beauty and I would do anything for him. When I lived in Cambodia I took him every where with me, in restaurants, bars, often to work and round to my friends houses when we had the invite.

You said in your post that you take your dog to the park even when your feeling crap, I think that's great because it's like he/she is pushing you to go out and I'm sure you felt better after the walk.

I love my dog because he gives unconditional love, unlike us humans can. Regardless of what I look, feel or sound like, my dog is their for me, which is precisely the reason I'm going to so much trouble to bring him into the UK on April 11th.

I think it's nothing to be ashamed of, it's lovely :smile:
Reply 5
JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience
that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
"just a man" or "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
just smile,
because they "just don't understand."
Reply 6
:lolwut: the nutters are out in force today.
Original post by Sol1dShot
:lolwut: the nutters are out in force today.

You obviously 'just don't understand' :tongue:

I am just the same with my dog. I go to uni this year, and one of the main things I'm dreading is leaving her. It sounds so cliche but she is my best friend. Any anyone who's never had a dog will understand that.
Reply 8
Original post by Stickybubbles28
You obviously 'just don't understand' :tongue:

I am just the same with my dog. I go to uni this year, and one of the main things I'm dreading is leaving her. It sounds so cliche but she is my best friend. Any anyone who's never had a dog will understand that.

i have a brown lab. 2 years old. I just also have a life. :wink:
Original post by Sol1dShot
i have a brown lab. 2 years old. I just also have a life. :wink:

So do I. But i've found that in life you can never find such loyalty and friendship as a dog gives you. People are so much crueler.
I left home for college a year and a half ago. I'm on the train back to college now after saying bye to my dog again for another week. It's the worst part of my week. It doesn't phase me that my dog is my best friend.
If it's not causing you/anyone else any problems then I don't see the problem? Sounds sweet.
It sounds like you just take good care of your dog tbh, which is always going to be a good thing.

The only thing is if she's very clingy then I'd consider doing some training and making being on her own more enjoyable for her. If she just likes to get close and cuddle on the sofa it's obviously nothing to worry about but if she follows you from room to room etc then there's a possible cause for concern and clingy dogs can often be quite distressed when left on their own.
Original post by green chica
Your thoughts?

You can never be too attached to a dog, they give you more love than a human... I have found though that since being at uni I have become less attached to the family dog (she used to be like 100% with me but when I went home in the holidays she was hating on me :sad:).

Cherish your dog :biggrin:
everyone is! My rotties been loyal to me for 13 years! And she still pulls my down the hill, poor girl has arthritus on her back legs I think some joint supplements will do the trick for the mean time however she looks good for a 13 year old
I don't think you're too attached to your dog at all, dogs are great and I am the same with mine.
Reply 16
If it makes you feel any better, my dog wont even wait outside the bathroom door while I go the toilet or in the shower - he pushes our concertina door open and just wanders in. If I go out the house without him (i.e. to work) I come back to find my shoes have been carried all over the house and the dog asleep on some item of clothing he has pulled from somewhere. Everyone calls him my little shadow.
Whilst sometimes (very rarely) it can be frustrating such as when I was ill the other day and I kept tripping over him running to the bathroom to be sick. However, 99.99% of the time it makes me feel great that something loves me so much and I must be doing something right.
I am the exact same way with my cats and Yorkie. It would feel weird to me to feel anything but overly attached to my pets. My pets are me and my partner's life tbh. Our lives revolve around them and we would be lost without them. I have always had a great love for my animals. It makes losing them so heartbreaking but the good times we have make the bad times worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dogs are a part of the family. I don't understand people who say, 'its just a dog'. In reality, its another living being and therefore should be respected. I love all of my pets and would be absolutely distraught if anyone or anything brought harm to any of them. Also, whatever people say, dogs do have their own ways and expressions and you do get to know their behaviour and canine personality. My one dog is a little bleeder but it cracks me up. Usually this involves my dog wrapping his two front legs around your leg from behind and then playfully biting you. He doesn't sink his teeth in and he is just playing but the slyness of him waiting for you to turn is what I find the most funny. He is extremely cunning and intelligent for a dog and all those little tricks and time shared many people take for granted.
Original post by unigurl
JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience
that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
"just a man" or "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
just smile,
because they "just don't understand."

This is years later but.. That was beautiful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest