Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Islam....

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know that there are MANY and i mean MANY threads about Islam but this is less of a thread and more of me trying to correct misconceptions. So...

Shias do not believe that imam ali was meant to be a prophet rather than prophet Muhammad. This is a very ignorant misconception that still irritates me as how one can be a muslim and think this. Imam ali himself has said there is no comparison between him and the prophet and that he sees himself as a servant of the prophet.

Shias do not believe caliphate should be from the prophets bloodline rather imam ali was 1 of 12 divinely appointed leaders of islam by the prophet after his death.

Shias do NOT have a different quran than our sunni brothers and sisters. Again a ignorant misconception. The quran is the same for every muslim our interpretation maybe different but that can apply to any 2 muslims.

Shias do NOT pray to the ahlul bayt. Only allah is worthy of worship and we ask pray to him and him only. We merely ask for intercession from the ahlul bayt.

These are the main ones i can think of, of the top off my head.
    ( Please do not post any rude or offensive posts)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whipping yourself at the martyrdom of Hussain.

That part of Islam or Shia'ism?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you give me some evidence from some of your top scholars or any evidence that Shia's believe the Quran is complete?

Because someone told me that some Shia's don't believe it is, and I was wondering where they got that from.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a Muslim and I don't believe in any Sunni, Shia thing... The Quran says be a Muslim.. It doesn't say split the religion up into different parts... It tells us to just be a Muslim and follow the righteous path..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SRaza94)
    I know that there are MANY and i mean MANY threads about Islam but this is less of a thread and more of me trying to correct misconceptions. So...

Shias do not believe that imam ali was meant to be a prophet rather than prophet Muhammad. This is a very ignorant misconception that still irritates me as how one can be a muslim and think this. Imam ali himself has said there is no comparison between him and the prophet and that he sees himself as a servant of the prophet.

Shias do not believe caliphate should be from the prophets bloodline rather imam ali was 1 of 12 divinely appointed leaders of islam by the prophet after his death.

Shias do NOT have a different quran than our sunni brothers and sisters. Again a ignorant misconception. The quran is the same for every muslim our interpretation maybe different but that can apply to any 2 muslims.

Shias do NOT pray to the ahlul bayt. Only allah is worthy of worship and we ask pray to him and him only. We merely ask for intercession from the ahlul bayt.

Bro, intercession, really? why do you need a middle man? when you are able to ask Allah directly in your dua for help
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:

I've never really understood this. I mean okay, you believe that Ali and some others were some kind of divinely appointed leaders. But today they're all dead. So what does it matter now?

Why?
    If God doesn't want to answer your prayer, are the Ahlul-Bayt somehow going to convince him to change his mind?
    And if God does want to answer your prayer - well then what do you need intercession for?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I will give u an example of intercession. say u need a job, the chair man of the company ur going to apply to knows ur uncle. so u ask ur uncle to big u up a little, get ur foot in the door, the rest ul sort out. this is basically intercession, you pray to God, but the Ahlul-Bayt bigs u up a little so inshallah ur prayer is accepted.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    could someone explain to me where shia-ism comes from? Like obviously during the time of the Prophet pbuh there was no sub sects, so what happened after?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP

Please respond to this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1883259
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Can you give me some evidence from some of your top scholars or any evidence that Shia's believe the Quran is complete?

Because someone told me that some Shia's don't believe it is, and I was wondering where they got that from.
    http://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/files/tahrif.pdf
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Not sure if this is an iranian thing or not - Why do they call upon Ali (RAH) when they are hit with a calamity?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Air_wolf)
    I will give u an example of intercession. say u need a job, the chair man of the company ur going to apply to knows ur uncle. so u ask ur uncle to big u up a little, get ur foot in the door, the rest ul sort out. this is basically intercession, you pray to God, but the Ahlul-Bayt bigs u up a little so inshallah ur prayer is accepted.
    When your uncle speaks to the company chairman, he tells the chairman something he didn't already know. Perhaps the chairman didn't know who you were - so the uncle talks about you to inform him that you are looking for a job. Perhaps the chairman doesn't know whether you'd make a good worker, so the uncle tells him how hard-working and dedicated you are. And this might give the chairman enough information that he wants to give you an interview.

But why do the Ahlul-Bayt need to "big you up''? What could they possibly say to God about you that he didn't know already?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Air_wolf)
    could someone explain to me where shia-ism comes from? Like obviously during the time of the Prophet pbuh there was no sub sects, so what happened after?
    Shia is short for Shiat Ali, those who followed Imam Ali(AS) after the Prophets(PBUH+HF) death, as he was appointed as the successor by the Prophet(PBUH+HF). The second abu bakr became caliph Islam became split into those who followed Imam Ali(AS) and those who followed the government, so to speak.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't see your point? Simple fact is there are tons of things Shias do that isn't proper, whereas most Sunni's correctly follow the Qur'an with only slight differences from person to person. For example, Shias think it's okay to do all the days prayers in 15 minutes and chill for the rest of the day, or catchup on prayers at the end of the month. It's not right.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    I don't see your point? Simple fact is there are tons of things Shias do that isn't proper, whereas most Sunni's correctly follow the Qur'an with only slight differences from person to person. For example, Shias think it's okay to do all the days prayers in 15 minutes and chill for the rest of the day, or catchup on prayers at the end of the month. It's not right.
    Source? Shia don't believe this, and it's quite silly of you to believe everything you hear, and then state it as fact.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljebo)
    Source? Shia don't believe this, and it's quite silly of you to believe everything you hear, and then state it as fact.
    My parents family friends are sunni muslims, but their cousins are shia and I've talked to them about what they believe. There's your source :hand:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    When your uncle speaks to the company chairman, he tells the chairman something he didn't already know. Perhaps the chairman didn't know who you were - so the uncle talks about you to inform him that you are looking for a job. Perhaps the chairman doesn't know whether you'd make a good worker, so the uncle tells him how hard-working and dedicated you are. And this might give the chairman enough information that he wants to give you an interview.

But why do the Ahlul-Bayt need to "big you up''? What could they possibly say to God about you that he didn't know already?

http://www.al-islam.org/the-shia-reb...i-nasab/13.htm

also, Chapter 7 talks about intercession

http://www.al-islam.org/shiism/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    My parents family friends are sunni muslims, but their cousins are shia and I've talked to them about what they believe. There's your source :hand:
    My parents family friends are Shia muslims, but their cousins are sunni and I've talked to them about what they believe,and they believe that you can just pray your prayers in 15 mins and chill for the rest of the day, or just catch up at the end of the month. There's your source.

See what I did there?

That's not even remotely reliable. Why would you take the words of a layman over a scholars?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)

coz God likes them more than u .
    so you go to the interview, and ur nervous u mess it up the chairman isnt impressed, but u know u would be pretty good at the job so ur uncle intervenes and through him u get a job.
    the concept is the same. u pray to God and ask of him thru the Prophet pbuh, not that ur prayer would not be accepted by itself, He is God all knowing and wise if he chooses to accept that is His grace, but asking Through the Prophet the belief being ur prayers are more likely to be accepted.
    it is 6:43 and iv been awake since 8pm yesterday so i apologise if i havnt explained well. makes sense to me

Shia is short for Shiat Ali, those who followed Imam Ali(AS) after the Prophets(PBUH+HF) death, as he was appointed as the successor by the Prophet(PBUH+HF). The second abu bakr became caliph Islam became split into those who followed Imam Ali(AS) and those who followed the government, so to speak.
    When was he appointed successor? so ur saying hazrat abu bakr ra jumped in?
    and hazrat ali ra did have his time as caliph, so whats the beef?
    by the way my best friend and brother in law would class themselves as shia, so please dont think im being stupid n asking doped questions to catch u out.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My parents family friends are Shia muslims, but their cousins are sunni and I've talked to them about what they believe,and they believe that you can just pray your prayers in 15 mins and chill for the rest of the day, or just catch up at the end of the month. There's your source.

See what I did there?

That's not even remotely reliable. Why would you take the words of a layman over a scholars?
    Yes well done :facepalm2: that's what I'm trying to show you, there is no basis for what Shias get up to or why they should be doing anything different to what Sunnis do, considering 99% of muslims are Sunni. You can quote all the scholars you like, that's what the Shias I spoke to did; it makes little difference.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.