The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 2 (B2) 24 January 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
The question about the frostbite was definitely 10.
Also, with the AQA Apple Juice question with the enzyme and boiling water, did you guys put 1.2 or 11.6?
Reply 101
Original post by nataliekwong

Original post by nataliekwong
I did Pancreas transplant too - but I think I spelt it wrong LOL.

Which drug did you guys put for the questions with A, B, C and Insulin? :/

I put A. There was a big debate about whether or not the answer was A or B.
I put A because the person was already diabetic and therefore their Pancreas wouldn't be working anyway, but as well as that, if the liver is damaged, the excess glucose wouldn't be able to be stored anywhere.
Others put B because if the pancreas was damaged, Insulin could not be secreted.
Original post by Zigggyy.
I put A. There was a big debate about whether or not the answer was A or B.
I put A because the person was already diabetic and therefore their Pancreas wouldn't be working anyway, but as well as that, if the liver is damaged, the excess glucose wouldn't be able to be stored anywhere.
Others put B because if the pancreas was damaged, Insulin could not be secreted.

I put B for the reoson above ^ i think we might get the mark whether it be A or B but this paper was well and truely confusing and different from all the other papers so fingers crossed the grade boundries should be low! :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by Subhaan120

I put B for the reoson above ^ i think we might get the mark whether it be A or B but this paper was well and truely confusing and different from all the other papers so fingers crossed the grade boundries should be low! :smile:

Yeah, hopefully it's a two answers thing. It was horrible ): I was ready to talk about Mendel and draw Punnett squares, gah, stupid aqa! I hope they're low, the June 2011 paper was 26 for an A* so fingers crossed!
Original post by Zigggyy.
Yeah, hopefully it's a two answers thing. It was horrible ): I was ready to talk about Mendel and draw Punnett squares, gah, stupid aqa! I hope they're low, the June 2011 paper was 26 for an A* so fingers crossed!

Hopefully...same...miosis & mitosis, carbon cycle, punnet diagramms, mendel none of them came up!:s-smilie::confused::mad: it really was a ridiculous paper. Im aming for a B luckily i will get it!:smile:
Reply 105

Hopefully...same...miosis & mitosis, carbon cycle, punnet diagramms, mendel none of them came up!:s-smilie::confused::mad: it really was a ridiculous paper. Im aming for a B luckily i will get it!:smile:

Yeah ): gaah. Oh well! Do you remember which number you circled for the crushed AQA Apple Juice question? (':
Did no one here find the DNA question hard - about the blue eye?
I'm sure it's not in the syllabus.
I put 11.6 but some people sayin it was the 2.1 the lowest as the enzymes were denatured but i circled 11.6 reason being the amount of juice didnt increase or decrease it stays the same as it is already 11.6 and when enzymes are added they are denatured due to the boiling temp. soooo no effect hope its rytt ? :s
Reply 108
I think I got the frog percentage question wrong :'( and I put B for the diabeities drug question, because the question said "for some people", not for diabetic people.
can anyone remember anymore Qs
Please can you help fill in the unofficial mark scheme. I remember the questions, but not sure which order.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1903573
In the diffusion question, did the sugar solution diffuse out of the funnel, and the water osmosed in until they reached equilibrium?
Original post by surfingtom

In the diffusion question, did the sugar solution diffuse out of the funnel, and the water osmosed in until they reached equilibrium?

don't know...what grade you looking at?
A* how come?
Reply 114
Ugh! That paper was awful! Out of the A,B,C & Insulin question I put B. Also for another question i put 11.6 :/ I don't know whether this is wrong or not? i'm looking to get a grade B/A - Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries - Question 7 was ridiculously hard :/
how come what? :smile:
DNA and the osmosis question were the hardest ones
Reply 117

I put 11.6 but some people sayin it was the 2.1 the lowest as the enzymes were denatured but i circled 11.6 reason being the amount of juice didnt increase or decrease it stays the same as it is already 11.6 and when enzymes are added they are denatured due to the boiling temp. soooo no effect hope its rytt ? :s

I put 1.2 because boiling water would mean the enzyme would denature and so less juice? But now i think about it, i think it would stay the same...ohgod. ahah, such a controversial question!

Did no one here find the DNA question hard - about the blue eye?
I'm sure it's not in the syllabus.

We all said the eye colour would change /: It was such a stupid question.

I said water moved into the funnel through the partially permeable membrane by the process of osmosis. This was due to the high water concentration outside in the beaker, and a low water concentration inside the funnel.
Original post by Brooke789
Ugh! That paper was awful! Out of the A,B,C & Insulin question I put B. Also for another question i put 11.6 :/ I don't know whether this is wrong or not? i'm looking to get a grade B/A - Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries - Question 7 was ridiculously hard :/

Tell me about it...I found this paper really confusing...and I wrote B for the drugs question and circled 11.6 for the apple juice one. I'm aiming for a B but i'm worried i'll get a C due to this confusing paper!!! :frown:
I put for the osmosis one that the sugar solution diffused out of the funnel across the partially permeable membrane from an area of high concentration to one of lower concentration, and the water did the same but the other way. Do you think this could still get the marks?

Quick Reply

Latest