The Student Room Group

St Dominics Sixth form College in harrow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
My dilemma = Watford Grammar/ Parmiters/ St Doms.

Anyone wanna help? :biggrin:
Original post by Angelica.

I think Parmiters is a not a great chioce as it's far away and too strict with less freedom and havent seen then on leugue tables. I think St Doms is great (well im going there and love it) as it has a very high acdemic status and is really good in stuff like economics and business studies as they are linked with LSE. Waford Grammer also a good chioce. St Doms and Watford Grammar are very close together in the leugue tables so they both are great :smile::smile::smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I live in Harrow. Best of luck with St. Doms. It looks like the superior institution. Anyone applied for Bishop Ramsey?
Reply 203
Original post by Angelica.

You may or may not have accepted a place by now but, in any case, here's my two cents.

Having been offered places at those same three schools, I'm edging closer to Doms than anywhere else. Reasons being; it's conveniently placed, is supposedly linked to LSE and, most importantly, I was one of the few people in my school to be offered a place (so I just HAVE to take it). :^_^:

Parmiters looks plain militant, and I'm pretty sure there isn't much difference between Watford and St. Doms (at least, according to the league tables).
Original post by Ladotelli
You may or may not have accepted a place by now but, in any case, here's my two cents.

Having been offered places at those same three schools, I'm edging closer to Doms than anywhere else. Reasons being; it's conveniently placed, is supposedly linked to LSE and, most importantly, I was one of the few people in my school to be offered a place (so I just HAVE to take it). :^_^:

Parmiters looks plain militant, and I'm pretty sure there isn't much difference between Watford and St. Doms (at least, according to the league tables).

Yeah that is most probably a good choice St Dom's is a very good College, Watford Girls are very good the Boys are Ok
Got the admission in st. doms today!!! excited :P
Original post by foreverisover
yes, it is multicultural and we had foreign exchange students from Italy as well, but as the others mentioned, you can find the college racially divided, especially the canteen. the Asian students used to sit on the left hand side, and the white ones on the right hand side, but i would say that the atmosphere was generally pleasant because none of us took 'the division' seriously. so honestly, i wouldn't worry about that.

i found the teaching quality excellent, especially in my second year, because we really got lots of help with all the UCAS stuff. the teachers are generally happy to help, and yes, we used to have after-school workshop sessions, where you could see your teachers on individual basis (sometimes you needThanks fed to make an appoitment the day before), but i think they've changed it now and the workshops happen during lunch times. the lunch is 1 hour, so you had time to eat as well. we had revision classes too and received tones of past papers when it came to exams, so really, i'd say that the teaching quality was excellent, as the teachers really DID want you to succeed and do well in your exams. god, i miss st doms. i had amazing two years there.

Thanks for the info. My question is if we are aiming for high uni like LSE than is st dominics the right choice cuz I am international student and will be coming from far just to fulfill many aims. Thanks.
Hey,

I appealed against st doms decision to reject my applicant as my GPA was 6.6
and had excellent ref etc ... however they mentioned they would review it once more and get back to me by 2nd May.

I appealed against their decision 1 week ago. 1 week later now, i recieved nothing yet. Should i email/call them up now ?

Its serious i dont have any offers yet only applied to 3 colleges :confused::redface:
Reply 208
Original post by gemnomnom
I live in Harrow. Best of luck with St. Doms. It looks like the superior institution. Anyone applied for Bishop Ramsey?

Yeeh I did but i also got into St. Dominic's so i'm kinda torn between the two. Do you go there or are you planning to?
Reply 209
So who's definitely going to St. Dom's??
Original post by uchikchi
Yeeh I did but i also got into St. Dominic's so i'm kinda torn between the two. Do you go there or are you planning to?

I went to Ramsey. What subjects are you thinking of studying?
Reply 211
Original post by Monkeys!
Twyford, have you heard of it?

O.o I got into Doms and Twyford too, which one are you going to?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 212
Original post by ibs007
Hey guys,

I am a current student at St. Doms in year 13! Feel free to ask me any questions in private or on this thread! Happy to help.

:biggrin:

Which Subjects did you take and were you from one of the partner schools?

Reply 213
Original post by foreverisover
guys, i went to St Dominic's, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to quote me here and i'll try and help you.

Which Subjects did you take and were you from one of the partner schools?

Hey All!

I'm considering applying to Harrow for 6th form (in 2013). I've been reading though the thread and you all seem knowledgeable; so I hope no one minds if I ask a few questions. :smile:

1. How many places are there open in 6th form (I understand that this fluctuates but if any one could give me an average estaminet that would be much appreciated!)

2. How many people apply for these places?

3. what is the over all standard like? is it hugely competitive? (as in the people who apply do so with straight A* predictions!) :-/

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flame of the west
Hey All!

I'm considering applying to Harrow for 6th form (in 2013). I've been reading though the thread and you all seem knowledgeable; so I hope no one minds if I ask a few questions. :smile:

1. How many places are there open in 6th form (I understand that this fluctuates but if any one could give me an average estaminet that would be much appreciated!)

2. How many people apply for these places?

3. what is the over all standard like? is it hugely competitive? (as in the people who apply do so with straight A* predictions!) :-/

Thanks

This is a thread for those applying to St Dominics Sixth Form - you probably won't find much help here!

Check your PMs :smile:

I got the admission in St. Dominics but my F**king Uncle told me not to go there and told me its better to stay in my country :mad: :frown:
Reply 217
Original post by gemnomnom
I went to Ramsey. What subjects are you thinking of studying?

oh you already left? erm.. i think i'm doing biology, chemistry, french and maths. what year did you finish?
Original post by uchikchi
oh you already left? erm.. i think i'm doing biology, chemistry, french and maths. what year did you finish?

The French department is the worst department in the school. I would gravely recommend you reconsider, even if it means taking it up outside of school (which would be an excellent idea. I am not against French A Level, on the contrary, I am very in favour of it and passionate about it. I am just very against the way it is 'taught' at Ramsey)

I just finished this year.

The other subjects seem an excellent combination, although I cannot say I have had any personal experience in them, I took English, History and Drama alongside French.

Bonne chance!
Hi,

I've just been to the St Dominic's Sixth Form (Harrow-on-the-Hill in West London) open day and picked up pretty much everything. Whilst I was reading the prospectus I saw that the entrance requirements were surprisingly low, but I doubt this is really the case. I'm a Christian, but I'm a Methodist, not a Catholic. My predicted grades haven't changed since 12th July, but I failed my History module and got a C in my Core Science so I'm resitting the module in History and resitting some of the Science to try and get a B. I know exactly why I failed History (not doing enough revision and past papers, not understanding the structure and being ill during the exam are in the mix) and I think I could have achieved better in Science. I'm also doing **** in the History controlled assessment, and my teacher said that she'll have to set a predicted grade after my mock and my resit. A friend of mine who's in a similar position to me is applying, but he's a Catholic so he'd probably be priority.

My Year 10 Tracking report is below (numbers 1-4 with 4 being the highest, the blanks haven't been filled out):

5082d5c11425c.jpg

I'm predicted and targeted an A in RE, and I'm not doing PE for GCSE. Do I have any chance of getting in? I'm applying to my school's sixth form and might apply to somewhere else. I also hardly ever go to church, and my Mum works as a minister (priest) for my church so I don't know whether the college will think that it could be biased. She said that she could ask my boss to write the religious reference and say that I'm in a Christian family at least. I wouldn't want to go to church so I can go, I'd feel it'd be a bit immoral. I have no problem with Catholics and the college's ethos.

Anyway, what are my odds? I've thought about taking History, Government & Politics, Philosophy and French. Also, I take the OCR Nationals IT course, does this count?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending