The Student Room Group

St Dominics Sixth form College in harrow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by surb2pin
Me toooo! Just got the letter 2day. Congrats :smile:I got in2 WGGS n St doms. Dont know which one 2 go tooo :frown: What was ur conditional offer? Mine was 6.5

Wooo. Glad you got in too. Yup 6.5 here too. Go to St Doms LOL
Original post by Monkeys!
Did you get a letter? AND CONGRATULATIONS:smile:
Is it your first choice?

Yh St Doms is my first chioce and I did get a letter :smile:
Original post by JV4211
Well Done. Not being nosy or anything but what GPA did you get??

My GPA was 7.1
I got an offer from both St doms n watford girls. Does any1 hv any advice on what they would choose. Its a really tough decision. :frown:

I'm on the waiting list for Watford girls, but I got in St Doms which was my first choice and im happy. They are both really good schools which are very high on the tables. What was your GPA????
Reply 164
I don't know whether to go St Doms or stay at my school :frown: :confused: so so confused...

Also is this payment compulsory or optional? It says somewhere about it being voluntary, why must we pay :/
Unfortunately, im one of many students that got rejected by st dominics.
"Regretfully, the college is therefore unable to make you a conditional offer."
Due to some number of applications etc --> Load Of BS. :angry:

if i wish to maintain an interest i have to complete some extra forum and send a
non-refundable 5 pounds to review my application. but it doesnt f...ing mention if im on the waiting list and what number. :confused:

By the way my GPA was 6.54545...
im a prefect, duke of Edinburgh and came first in mosaic. What the F is going ON ! :mad:

"as soon as you receive your GCSE results, please email the college to confirm if your an firm applicant." I don't see what's the point in trying any more, what difference is it going to make ? From my perspective, st dominics is a racially divided Sixth-form college that merely plays a deception to ensure their sixth-form pay roll "150 pound conditional offer". :O
wooooo me tooooo :smile: congrats all!
but sorry @XxKingSniprxX ! if you really want to go there you could appeal? a friend of mine did and she got in after appealing. but yep, £150 for their charity and another hundred for books, but that's just a deposit. bit annoyed we weren't told before hand :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by theworld
I don't know whether to go St Doms or stay at my school :frown: :confused: so so confused...

Also is this payment compulsory or optional? It says somewhere about it being voluntary, why must we pay :/

they word it weirdly, they say it's a 'voluntary' contribution that 'all studens are required' to pay. so basically you have to, it's just to fund new equipment and stuff
Reply 168
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

if i wish to maintain an interest i have to complete some extra forum and send a
non-refundable 5 pounds to review my application. but it doesnt f...ing mention if im on the waiting list and what number. :confused:

im a prefect, duke of Edinburgh and came first in mosaic. What the F is going ON ! :mad:

"as soon as you receive your GCSE results, please email the college to confirm if your an firm applicant." I don't see what's the point in trying any more, what difference is it going to make ? From my perspective, st dominics is a racially divided Sixth-form college that merely plays a deception to ensure their sixth-form pay roll "150 pound conditional offer". :O

I think paying the £5 puts you on the waiting list. If you go on and you get really good grades in the end then there is a good chance you will get in because i know two people who had that happen to them last year and go there now. Good luck!
Reply 169
Original post by misssbs18
I'm on the waiting list for Watford girls, but I got in St Doms which was my first choice and im happy. They are both really good schools which are very high on the tables. What was your GPA????

My GPA was 8. Yes I want to go 2 st doms n watford, they're both good schools. Im glad u got ur first choice. Btw if they Watford said they had a place 4 you would you give up ur place 4 St. Doms and go there instead?:smile:
Reply 170
Original post by kingtaco
Wooo. Glad you got in too. Yup 6.5 here too. Go to St Doms LOL

Ha ha. Was St. Doms the only sch u applied for?:smile:
Reply 171
Original post by hadiyayayaya
they word it weirdly, they say it's a 'voluntary' contribution that 'all studens are required' to pay. so basically you have to, it's just to fund new equipment and stuff

exactly, the wording is effed.. so we have to pay a 'voluntary' contribution of £150 pounds that we don't get back?! i dont know about you but thats a lot of money:eek:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

How is it racially divided?
guys, i went to St Dominic's, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to quote me here and i'll try and help you.
do you regret going there ?
would you recommend woodhouse over St dominics?

damn you tiffins. :mad:
Reply 175
Original post by hadiyayayaya
wooooo me tooooo :smile: congrats all!
but sorry @XxKingSniprxX ! if you really want to go there you could appeal? a friend of mine did and she got in after appealing. but yep, £150 for their charity and another hundred for books, but that's just a deposit. bit annoyed we weren't told before hand :/

Did your friend appeal from this year??? and if she did, what did she do because I got rejected too and I thought you could only ring or e-mail them after you get the results...
I got an offer from both St doms n watford girls. Does any1 hv any advice on what they would choose. Its a really tough decision. :frown:

Hey, I know I'm a randomer to the thread but I always nose through threads to do with places local to me and I just saw this, haha!

But hmmm, I think you really need to think about this decision but since I went to Watford Girls and I had a lot of friends who went to St Doms, I thought maybe I could help a little - but haha, what I have to say may be useless but you can decide :smile:

There are many pros to St Doms and the main one is the freedom. I was at Watford since year 7, so I was used to the style of it, but one thing a lot of the news girls said who came in for Sixth Form said that it was too restrictive. Like you can't leave during frees and there's a uniform (although I preferred that as thinking up things to wear everyday for Uni is hell) and also the teachers expect you to work. Yeah, they're a bit more lax in Sixth Form, but they still treat you less like adults than in St Doms. So if you want more responsibility with your education, Doms would be better. They also are more open to other choices at St Doms, whereas at Watford, it's kind of a given that you're going to Uni. Yeah, they talk a little about other options, but pretty much everyone leaves with a Uni place or a few take a gap year. I don't know anyone in my year who isn't at Uni or on a gap year (I just finished last year).

Watford does have pros too though - the teachers are incredibly dedicated and from what I've heard, the teaching is of a higher standard. Some girls left to go to St Doms and then complained to us who stayed that the teaching there was just not as good a quality and that the teachers weren't as keen about their subjects, whereas at Watford, teachers will happily spend hours of their time, giving you extra tuition just because they want you to do well, not for extra pay. Like my Maths teacher used to teach us Uni Maths after School if we wanted to go and it was all in his free time. Of course, this may not be true about the teaching standard at Doms, but it's just what I've heard. Watford also tends to be a better environment to study in - we all used to help each other do well and motivate each other, whereas my friends at other Sixth Forms, such as Doms, generally found that people tended to be more selfish with helping each other. All of the new girls also blended in really well, especially as we do lots of crazy events that kind of band people together with a whole day dedicated to 'Disney Day' or 'Harry Potter Day', so haha, as it's connected to the main School, there are a lot of childish but really fun events that go on all year round. The only thing is, there is a limit - like Muck Up Day was quite controlled and I'm sure that would be more fun at Doms.

So yeah, Watford has generally a better reputation and a better teaching standard but Doms trains you more for life with a more adult attitude to their students and also it's mixed, which is something that a lot of people prefer over a single-sex School. So yeah, tough choice xD But really, both are good and you should do well wherever you go if you're determined enough :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 177
Hey guys,

I am a current student at St. Doms in year 13! Feel free to ask me any questions in private or on this thread! Happy to help.

:biggrin:
Original post by theworld
exactly, the wording is effed.. so we have to pay a 'voluntary' contribution of £150 pounds that we don't get back?! i dont know about you but thats a lot of money:eek:

lol no i agree, when I first read it I thought it was £50 and even then I thought it was bit much! but then I guess it depends on whether you think the £150 is worth it if you get to go there
Original post by JV4211
Did your friend appeal from this year??? and if she did, what did she do because I got rejected too and I thought you could only ring or e-mail them after you get the results...

hiii, no it was a couple of years back. sorry I'm not too sure on the details, I just know she appealed and got in. but I don't think she chose to go there in the end anyway lol

Original post by ibs007
Hey guys,

I am a current student at St. Doms in year 13! Feel free to ask me any questions in private or on this thread! Happy to help.

:biggrin:

hiii :biggrin: I was wondering whether st doms really is racially divided because I've actually heard that from a few people :/ but yeah, what do you think of the school?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending