The Student Room Group

Best and worst things about being AFRICAN?

This is a little bit of a spin-off of the asian version of this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1901589

What are the best and worst things about being African?

I descend from Nigeria. In my opinion, the best things include the food (I actually quite like it, I like egusi, ogbono, I like those traditional dishes), the hilarious conversations african parents they love a good gossip.

The worst thing for me would be 'African time'.

any african knows that when africans are having a party and the organiser says come at 6, the first person is bound to turn up at no earlier than 9. Poor timekeeping, or fashionably late? I just don't know...

anyway your turn.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh, also, when your mum likes to brag about you and your siblings to her friends. When I speak to one of my mum's friends, I find out she already knows so much about me before she even tells me her name! How did you know I want to do medicine? How do you know I got that at GCSE?

I can picture it now, 'you know my son...? you know him now. He's going to be a doctor you know. My son is a doctor. And then the other one wants to be a lawyer...' :blah:
Reply 2
Original post by Pride
oh, also, when your mum likes to brag about you and your siblings to her friends. When I speak to one of my mum's friends, I find out she already knows so much about me before she even tells me her name! How did you know I want to do medicine? How do you know I got that at GCSE?

I can picture it now, 'you know my son...? you know him now. He's going to be a doctor you know. My son is a doctor. And then the other one wants to be a lawyer...' :blah:

Opening ice cream tub to find frozen fish :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Being hated on by other Africans for not being African enough. Most East Africans get this :colonhash:

Having 90r8374853624 cousins all over the world :colonhash:
Reply 4
Original post by Freiheit
Opening ice cream tub to find frozen sauce :angry:

:laugh:

when it's some sort of soup you have to put in the microwave and defrost it right? haha I thought that was just our house... :teehee:
Reply 5
Im Irish, so feel free to disregard my opinions but surely the Afro!! and a predetermined innate ability to accel in all sports.

Black people, I love your hair.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Pride
:laugh:

when it's some sort of soup you have to put in the microwave and defrost it right? haha I thought that was just our house... :teehee:

Yeah lol. I realised it's not just my house when the same thing happened to me in my friends house. :tongue:
I'm not African but I think I can help with this...

Best:
- Food!
- Culture!
- Weddings!
- Clothes!
(I love it all :angel:)

Worst
- Negative stereotypes
'nuff said.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
the African schlong must be up there
Reply 9
Original post by Pride
This is a little bit of a spin-off of the asian version of this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1901589

What are the best and worst things about being African?

I descend from Nigeria. In my opinion, the best things include the food (I actually quite like it, I like egusi, ogbono, I like those traditional dishes), the hilarious conversations african parents they love a good gossip.

The worst thing for me would be 'African time'.

any african knows that when africans are having a party and the organiser says come at 6, the first person is bound to turn up at no earlier than 9. Poor timekeeping, or fashionably late? I just don't know...

anyway your turn.

lol it's even got it'as own wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_time
But I know this Nigerian guy and he's always on time. Which is annoying because I'm not. But OMG my Kenyan friend! I was meant to meet that guy at 10 pm once. He didnt show up till 2am.
Reply 10
Original post by Wave
lol it's even got it'as own wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_time
But I know this Nigerian guy and he's always on time. Which is annoying because I'm not. But OMG my Kenyan friend! I was meant to meet that guy at 10 pm once. He didnt show up till 2am.

haha.

I didn't know african time had it's own wiki page, quite rightly though
Original post by Freiheit
Opening ice cream tub to find frozen fish :angry:

OMG This!!! its so annoying
The best would be, i dont know so many good things now that i think about it. The dishes are good though
The worst would be your parents expecting you to be their slave just because you are their child. they make you do these annoying errands like having to bring the tv remote even though you are miles away from the living room and its just inches away from them. or being the one to always pick up the phone or answer the door. I don't really mind doing these things though. my parents have done so much for me the least i can do is be the maid even though it gets really annoying
Reply 13
Best
African parties (the music, dancing, people and the late finishes)
The food (as boring as it can be I don't know what I would do without msima)
Having a huuuuuuge family
Weddings
As much as stereotypical black people can bring us down, some black teenagers are so much fun to hang with and are hilarious XD
The insults towards the different countries in Africa can be harsh, but are hilarious!

Worst
Being dissed by family for not being able to speak Chichewa -.- (then being called posh because of my English accent)
Not knowing who my actual family members are because everyone is 'auntie' or 'uncle'
Gossipy family members
The pressure to do well (my parents are sort of laid back about it but I hate the "when I was young... stories)
Fish :frown:
Being late :L
Being called down to get the phone/make dinner :angry:
Original post by v1k2a3t4
Best
African parties (the music, dancing, people and the late finishes)
The food (as boring as it can be I don't know what I would do without msima)
Having a huuuuuuge family
Weddings
As much as stereotypical black people can bring us down, some black teenagers are so much fun to hang with and are hilarious XD
The insults towards the different countries in Africa can be harsh, but are hilarious!

Worst
Being dissed by family for not being able to speak Chichewa -.- (then being called posh because of my English accent)
Not knowing who my actual family members are because everyone is 'auntie' or 'uncle'
Gossipy family members
The pressure to do well (my parents are sort of laid back about it but I hate the "when I was young... stories)
Fish :frown:
Being late :L
Being called down to get the phone/make dinner :angry:

Oh my god, totally agree.

pros:

-hilarious gossip
-parents bragging about their children

cons:

-everyone being auntie/uncle/cousin
-food is toooo spicy for me
- and OMG NOLLYWOOD !!!!!!!! I just...dont understand the movies they come up with...
(edited 12 years ago)
Parents live on black standard time :facepalm2:

Something ends at 3 they leave the house at 3 ... WTF :facepalm:

I'll never forget those days in primary school when I the last one to get picked up :ashamed2:
Reply 16
Original post by AtomicMan
Oh my god, totally agree.

pros:

-hilarious gossip
-parents bragging about their children

cons:

-everyone being auntie/uncle/cousin
-food is toooo spicy for me
- and OMG NOLLYWOOD !!!!!!!! I just...dont understand the movies they come up with...

Man up it's not that spicy :wink:
By Nollywood do you mean Nigerian movies? If so XDXDXD
Reply 17
Like: the good food
Hate: some of the ingrained ignorance regarding certain issues
Reply 18
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Parents live on black standard time :facepalm2:

Something ends at 3 they leave the house at 3 ... WTF :facepalm:

I'll never forget those days in primary school when I the last one to get picked up :ashamed2:

My dad was half an hour late picking me up yesterday :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by In2deep
Being hated on by other Africans for not being African enough. Most East Africans get this :colonhash:

Having 90r8374853624 cousins all over the world :colonhash:

So this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending