The Student Room Group

What do you think about Anonymous?

(As in the hacktivist group). Personally, I agree with what they stand for, but what do you guys think about how they go about it i.e. forcing websites off the web?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thought you meant the posters on TSR....
Reply 2
Never heard of them

Edit - don't know wtf the neg rep is for. I hadn't
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't agree with their methods, not all of them. Like when they got some websites to cause epileptic attacks or seizures? That's just...inhumane :/
Original post by tite23
I don't agree with their methods, not all of them. Like when they got some websites to cause epileptic attacks or seizures? That's just...inhumane :/

I hadn't hear that! When did they do that? And to what site?
Original post by meenu89

Same! I always feel sorry for that dude, he has every problem going, poor lamb.
A bunch of ignorant attention seekers, if you ask me.
One fundamental group against another (the government) sounds fair to me.
Reply 8
Nothing much really, it get's boring that they only use the same method all the time what was it again ddos?
Reply 9
I think a lot of the things they do are worthy causes that I agree with (like posting the personal details of people who torture cats for fun), and the sheer scale means as a whole they're very powerful. As people in general though, I think they need to get away from their computer screens and go outside. Although meme culture can be pretty funny, the levels it reaches on sites like 4chan is genuinely sad.
He doesn't know how to ask out a girl.
Original post by meenu89

:ditto:
Reply 12
They are essentially hypocrites in attacking the FBI and so on in retaliation to taking down Megaupload, they stand for a free web, yet they bring down sites too
I'm glad to see someone out there in 2012 is willing to take a stand. Can't help thinking they're gonna regret it when they're a 6 stone computer nerd in prison, getting passed round like currency though. I personally wouldn't do what they're doing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I have some kind of phobia about them- my friend explained to me anyone can join them and the thought of the guy serving me in tescos spending his nights with a mask on just makes me :lolwut:
I think they're doing good, albeit their methods are somewhat questionable in a lawful sense. Also they need to start doing things other than DDoS attacks. They get old and don't really spread a message other than "Someone's pissed off with something and because of it this website got taken down briefly."
Methinks they have a great deal of power, they just don't realise it or utilize it out of fear or something.
Reply 16
I kinda like them. I like what they stand for. I like that they're willing to cause a fuss when other people would just sit back and let it all go.
Original post by 06ollie
They are essentially hypocrites in attacking the FBI and so on in retaliation to taking down Megaupload, they stand for a free web, yet they bring down sites too

Not really. They take down threats to the free web, whereas the FBI try and police the web. If there is a threat to a free web, taking down that threat is not counter to the ideals of a free web as if the threat is left untouched then the free web would cease to be. If there was hypothetically an entity on the web that could completely censor it, it would not be hypocritical to remove that entity in order to protect the ideals of a free internet.
Reply 18
Who watches the Watchmen comes to mind; they're a self-appointed vigilante group who have decided they're going to "police" the internet against things they choose to dislike. I thought the web was meant to be unbiased, so as much as I don't think people should do things like picket funerals or torture cats for fun, I don't think it's up to Anonymous to hinder their rights to free speech or irresponsibly distribute their personal details.
Reply 19
I think he was really good in V for Vendetta but I haven't seen anything more recent being advertised in the cinema, which is a shame

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending