Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone done work experience with Northumbria Police?

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in third year studying psychology at Northumbria and wish to pursue a career in forensic psychology. I've applied to do a masters at Teesside and have volunteer experience in a prison. I recently applied to do a weeks work experience with Northumbria Police which was approved for March.

On the application form it asked which department I would prefer, and I specified none but indicated my career plans and assumed that I would be given some sort of admin work. When the confirmation letter arrived, it said I had been placed within the dog section and also had one days work doing self-defence and first aid. I'm not really interested in any of these departments and don't think they relate to my career plans so I phoned them to ask if I could change. The lady said I was very lucky to have been selected for this experience and that these were the only departments available, so I agreed to do it.

I'm not a dog person, never mind learning self-defence so I'm wondering if anyone else has done similar experience so I know what to expect. I really want to do it because it will look good on my CV, but if it involves a lot of physical work etc I'm not sure what to think. Can anyone help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: January 28, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.