The Student Room Group

Advice needed - Paramedic Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bit of a thread revival here...

Does anybody have any contact details for how to volunteer as a first responder in the South London (Sutton) area?

I've emailed the address on the LAS website but got no reply. I've also called into my local station, the guys there didn't know them selves, but gave me a number of a guy they thought would know. Again though, no reply here...

Does anybody know where to try next?!
Reply 21
Keep hassling them is all I can suggest. Schemes like CFR are very much demand and supply - if there's no demand, then it can be a while before you get a response.

I've just been reading through this thread and you've been given some really good advice. The only bits I'd throw in are speak to the Uni's that you'll be looking to apply to before you start other courses; you might find that you save yourself time and money as you could already meet the academic requirements.

Also don't get too hung up on getting medical work experiences; the amount of people who come in screaming that they've done CFR, BRC, SJA etc is unbelievable, and in my opinion it's not that that gets people onto the course. I think that if you've got the right attitude, personality and attitude (attitude I think is important!), then you'll get a place. I did and I've got sweet FA in the way of medical work experience! :smile:

Good luck

SW
Reply 22
Original post by WanaB_Student
Ok, firstly, I know there is LOADS on this forum already about the Paramedic science courses. I've been trawling through it all, and the info elsewhere too but still not very clear on what I need to know!

I'm thinking of applying for a paramedic science course (type and actual name dependent on the particular uni from what I can gather!) leading to a career in the ambulance service. Or hopefully anyway... Now, I know this is still very early but I'm thinking about this with a view to apply for the 2013 intake. - this is nothing short of a large miracle that I am thinking past tomorrow, let alone next year!

So, I would technically be applying as a 'mature' student. I'm 22 now, 24 by Sept 2013.
I have GCSEs (many off at grades a*-c) a BTEC ONC; NVQ 3; and apprenticeship in Engineering and a whole menagerie of outdoor activity qualls.

Obviously the GCSEs and BTEC where some time ago, and not really a medically relevant subject.
I have done various jobs (no nursing or medical type jobs though) and I volunteer with a DofE award group on their expeditions therefore have been first aid qualified in a variety of guises but mostly with I bias towards remote/mountain first aid, since as long as I can remember.

So, what I'm getting at is: does it sound like with the above qualls and experience I will be wasting their time by even applying?
and, what would people recommend doing to improve my chances of a successful application? or even getting to a position where I would be able to apply?

I am also massively confused by how to even think about how to apply...but I think I'll walk before I can run, and worry about how to apply once I'm actually in a position to do so...

Anything people have to say will be much appreciated (though advice is preferable to abuse :P )

Cheers all!!

In the days before it all needed a degree my father was a paramedic in the ambulance service (they trained as ambulance men and women and then did a course in Paramedic sciences while working). He went into the service as a 'mature' person of c.28 after having worked as a pipe fitter previously.

I saying this because, of course its really important to meet the examination requirements which I think you probably do for most courses, but above and beyond this they are looking for suitable character and personality. To be a paramedic requires a grounded, very responsible person who can make quick and accurate decisions that affect matters of life and death. The nature of the work also requires someone who is able to deal with stress well as obviously the job involves some very stressful occurences which most people will never come across in most other professions. You are also dealing with people in pain and distress so must have an ability to instill confidence and calmness. Being able to take charge if necessary in an emergency while understanding the limits of your training is also important. In addition impeccable moral character is looked for as you have sometimes unique access to people's homes and belongings. It is still modelled as a 'service' much like the armed services only it is a medical service and they look for much the same level headedness and practicality, ability to follow procedure while being able to take crucial decisions independantly.

I'm saying this because you sound as if you can prove your intelligence via the exams, prove reliability and an ability to work practically via work records and the next thing to look at is how to demonstrate these other qualities required. Being a first responder with St Johns would obviously show your commitment to 'medical' things but it doesn't have to be something as obvious as this.

You should look to make sure you have examples in your life of working with different types of people, of handling stress, of being able to operate both alone and in a team, of being willing and able to make appropriate judgements and decisions etc etc. These examples could come from many areas in life and you may be able to think of examples already. I'm sure the DoE award has examples you could use to support your appplication. However avoid using the same scheme over and over so you would need some other things too. It would help if you had worked with difficult people in some sense... ie dementia patients would be ideal and maybe you could find some volunteer work in this area or maybe ask at your local GP or Age Concern if there is a local family who would welcome some support etc ???? If not there are things like prison visiting or hospice visiting. If you can't volunteer full time or find anything appropriate try to at least get shown round/shadow people working in doctor's surgeries, hospitals, hospices, etc etc.
so you can demonstrate how you have been putting the work of the ambulance service in its context as part of the overall health service.

In addition to everything else the job sometimes involves going into heated situations where you could find yourself under attack. Calmness and a practical head is esssential. Fitness is also key as a lot of lifting is involved so showing you are fit and healthy would also help which it seems you can.

I seem to remember in study terms there was a lot of anatomy and physiology involved so anything you can do to demonstrate some interest in this area would help... does your local uni. have some lectures open to the public in these areas, summer schools? night class? at least your own reading?

Last, it might help to have a motorbike licence later on as a lot of services are now installing paramedic first responders in either cars or on motorbikes.

Anyway, good luck with everything and here's hoping you get onto that course in 2013. It looks to me as if, with polishing and focus of your application, you'd be in with a good chance.:smile: :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by webby87
I'm currently a student paramedic at Sheffield Hallam, first year (started in September 2011) and loving it! I'll write more here later, or you can send me a message...but its amazing!! Tiring, particularly now in the new year where we're in uni 2 days a week and still have to get a full week of placement (3 x 12 hour shifts) in, but still AMAZING!!

Any questions, I'm more than happy to help!

Hi how much time on average is spent between placement and university and are the university full days or various lectures?

Quick Reply

Latest