Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the rich have to pay a high tax rate?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If we created a flat rate tax for everyone (say, 20%) beyond the first £8000 they earn, then the more you earn the higher amount you pay anyway.

Why penalise someone for making something of themselves by taking away almost half their pay?

Views....?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, those poor rich people, it's such back breaking work deciding where to invest your huge capital and which tax experts to pay to find loopholes for you...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i don't see why the **** the rich should get punished for working hard.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Yes, those poor rich people, it's such back breaking work deciding where to invest your huge capital and which tax experts to pay to find loopholes for you...
    Must be pretty hard to know half of what you earn if taken away before you can even touch it... If I was having half my pay taken I'd be employing someone to find loopholes so I didn't lose it too...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    that's fair, they'd still be paying back the same percentage of their money as everyone else would
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I kinda feel there should be some progressive taxation, because that's the idea of the welfare state: those who can afford to helping those who can't afford to help themselves (through all the faults of the current welfare system, this is still important). That said, yes, I agree, they shouldn't be paying a 90% tax rate. The main reason I think is that the super rich don't pay that % of tax anyway. It essentially just penalises the upper-middle-classes who can't afford off-shore banks et al. If all the rich people actually paid the tax they owed, there probably wouldn't be a problem, whether it was 20% or 50%.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmaa!)
    that's fair, they'd still be paying back the same percentage of their money as everyone else would
    the whole point is that they pay back a larger percentage surely? not as everyone else would
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xyonzz)
    the whole point is that they pay back a larger percentage surely? not as everyone else would
    Same percent, but more money.

Obviously 20% of £30,000 is a lot less money than 20% of £350,000.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)

You would be Scottish

Some rich people earned their money and some didn't but the law has no way of differentiating between them. Personally I think our current system is good, and we should be focussing on tax evasion through foreign banks rather than changing what we legally have already.

Edit: I love you, Scottish people, just can't resist a good stereotype.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy-Fields)
    If we created a flat rate tax for everyone (say, 20%) beyond the first £8000 they earn, then the more you earn the higher amount you pay anyway.

Why penalise someone for making something of themselves by taking away almost half their pay?

Views....?
    I agree, I don't see why the percentage should change, it's punishing success. That doesn't seem right to me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Same percent, but more money.

Obviously 20% of £30,000 is a lot less money than 20% of £350,000.
    yeah i'd agree with that, i think it'd be fair for everyone to be taxed the same percentage. but don't the rich get taxed up to half their wages? ridiculous.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because people argue it isn't 'progressive'.

There are benefits to introducing a flat tax and I would probably be in favour with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xyonzz)
    yeah i'd agree with that, i think it'd be fair for everyone to be taxed the same percentage. but don't the rich get taxed up to half their wages? ridiculous.
    I believe at the moment the highest tax bracket is 40% of your entire income.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Bottom of the page shows the tax brackets.... it's ridiculous!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Must be pretty hard to know half of what you earn if taken away before you can even touch it... If I was having half my pay taken I'd be employing someone to find loopholes so I didn't lose it too...
    Mitt Romney is unemployed. The billions he makes come from internal investments, carefully arranged to provide income for the financiers and investors involved therewith. Romney does not have a job, does not do work, does not struggle and take risks for his money. He is gaming the system, and neoliberal (i.e. Republican in the US and Tory in the UK) policies enable him and the rest of the 1% to do so. He is not "earning" money the same way someone like you or I might do so. This is a real example of the satirical definition of a corporation by Ambrose Bierce: "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility."
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The rich can afford to pay more.

There's a common myth that poor people are poor because they don't work hard enough. This may be the case for some people, but mostly, people are poor because they were born poor and never received the opportunity to be socially mobile.

By damning the poor and taxing them out of their minds, they are being deprived of that opportunity to be socially mobile.
    How does a family encourage their kids to go to university and get a well paid job when they can barely afford to pay the bills and need their children to work from an early age and contribute where possible?

The rich reap the true benefits of the country; an economy in which they can thrive and all the major institutions being fundamentally geared towards their social class. Due to this, they can afford to bear the brunt a little bit more. Besides, taxing the rich a few percent more won't exactly harm them. Oh woe is me, my net income is £78,000 p/a instead of £87,000 p/a.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure there's evidence that flat rate tax systems bring in more money than progressive ones... I haven't seen it though so if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be helpful.

There's also the fact that if people are taxed highly, there is more incentive for them to avoid it but if you tax people less it's not worth the time or effort to find ways around it, so they'll pay more than they would if the taxes were actually higher.

Also, I just feel that taking 50% of someone's earnings, no matter how much they make is just too far. It seems to suggest that the state has more right to your money that you do.

Also, if people are being taxed that much (and don't avoid it, as many people in this tax bracket don't since they don't actually earn enough to pay for the accountants) why would they bother to earn it at all? They could get a lower paid job with lower hours, see more of their family and end up with the same amount of money in their pockets and the state loses the revenue of that extra tax.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it ridiculous that people always assume people MUST have 'worked harder' (whatever that even means), in order to be rich. :rolleyes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this, however wouldn't people 'cheat' the system? and pay less than was expected?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe at the moment the highest tax bracket is 40% of your entire income.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Bottom of the page shows the tax brackets.... it's ridiculous!
    i was pretty horrible at economics so I'm not exactly in touch with everything in society or whatever, but the fact that the rich are essentially being 'discouraged' from earning a lot would probably want to make me move elsewhere. I come from a lower/middle class family, but this level of taxation for higher earners is just :mad2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    The rich can afford to pay more.
    Why should they have to?

My point is that these rich people are working hard (most of them are) to earn what they do. So, why take 40-50% of their pay away?

The "poor" people also work hard, yet if we took half their pay away it would be uproar.

If we taxed EVERYONE EQUALLY then no one could complain, the "rich" would still be paying more than the "poor".

Then we need to clamp down on offshore accounts to catch out and fine the ones who evade these systems.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.