The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by LSEfreak
Good choice. Im probably going with LSE too...

Might be a good choice considering your username...
Original post by gigi2183
That's ridiculous. I've accepted my offer from LSE. I'm moving from the states. I can't just sit around waiting for a decision. I have to make plans and get everything sorted out.

LSE lets you accept their offer regardless, it is not a firm commitment on your part, you can back out until August. They even have a convenient option online to decline offer you have already accepted.
Does anyone have any idea about the offer conditions?

For other MPhils like History they say minimum 67% explicitly but for Land Economy it just says minimum 2.1.

The wait till June is a bit ridic... So much for waiting for us to have already taken our exams to then impose a condition.

If anyone reading this can please share? Even though it is based individually, just wondering if they are giving out conditions of less than 67%.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 143
Original post by shibuyagyoza
Does anyone have any idea about the offer conditions?

For other MPhils like History they say minimum 67% explicitly but for Land Economy it just says minimum 2.1.

The wait till June is a bit ridic... So much for waiting for us to have already taken our exams to then impose a condition.

If anyone reading this can please share? Even though it is based individually, just wondering if they are giving out conditions of less than 67%.

A few of us on this forum have offers from the Land Economy dept. for a difference course. All of our offers are 70% i.e. First Class Honours.
Reply 144
Original post by LSEfreak
I got an email from the admissions people, they said we wont be hearing back until mid june.

hi lsefreak. did u send in an email to enquire? or was it a generic email sent out by the department to all those who are waiting. i sure as hell didnt get one if its the latter
Reply 145
Original post by janjanmmm
LSE lets you accept their offer regardless, it is not a firm commitment on your part, you can back out until August. They even have a convenient option online to decline offer you have already accepted.

That's true. I did notice that, but I'd rather live in London at this point anyway. I decided Cambridge is my second choice. I do have to take a summer school course as a condition of my offer at LSE though.
Reply 146
Original post by gigi2183
That's true. I did notice that, but I'd rather live in London at this point anyway. I decided Cambridge is my second choice. I do have to take a summer school course as a condition of my offer at LSE though.

LSE is now 2nd in the UK (the most recent league tables came out a week or two ago). It has overtaken Oxford. So, definitely an excellent institution to end up at :smile:
Reply 147
Original post by Akkuz
LSE is now 2nd in the UK (the most recent league tables came out a week or two ago). It has overtaken Oxford. So, definitely an excellent institution to end up at :smile:

Think his decision was between LSE and Cambridge...not LSE and Oxford...its quite funny how u mentioned the league tables.:colondollar:
Reply 148
Original post by gnalk
hi lsefreak. did u send in an email to enquire? or was it a generic email sent out by the department to all those who are waiting. i sure as hell didnt get one if its the latter

I emailed and asked. Dont worry.
Reply 149
Hey guys, am new to this forum. Just to give you a little bit of a background, I applied for the MPhil REF and MPhil PGR in march and am still "under consideration by dept" for both. I called up the dept last week and they said decisions will mostly come out in June and that my phil REF app is still under review and the PGR application is "on hold" till the deadline. I was wondering if any of you would know about the chances of getting an offer once on hold..I would think they're pretty slim:frown: the wait is killingg me..need tk move on with my life! Also applied to LSE but pretty late and haven't heard from them as yet either. Wish I had applied earlier, I've heard chances of getting accepted are higher then.
Original post by Oh4444
I was wondering if any of you would know about the chances of getting an offer once on hold..I would think they're pretty slim:frown:

Not necessarily, all it means is that you did not stand out enough to give you an offer right away (few people are) and they want to wait until everyone has applied and compare your application with all the rest. It is not that bad, your chances would still be roughly the same, no better, no worse.
Reply 151
i emailed and asked once in april as well and the woman said i should hear in may. its just annoying how inconsistent the department is. oh and one of my friends in REF currently told me that one guy got his offer in AUGUST last year. pretty retarded.
Original post by Oh4444
Hey guys, am new to this forum. Just to give you a little bit of a background, I applied for the MPhil REF and MPhil PGR in march and am still "under consideration by dept" for both. I called up the dept last week and they said decisions will mostly come out in June and that my phil REF app is still under review and the PGR application is "on hold" till the deadline. I was wondering if any of you would know about the chances of getting an offer once on hold..I would think they're pretty slim:frown: the wait is killingg me..need tk move on with my life! Also applied to LSE but pretty late and haven't heard from them as yet either. Wish I had applied earlier, I've heard chances of getting accepted are higher then.

Hey, was wondering what your profile was? Do you mind sharing? Thanks

Tbh Cambridge are well within their right to take their time in responding - at least it means they look through all the applications carefully before making a decision. They are the number 1 department in this area to the east of the US, so they can pretty much do what they want.
Reply 153
Thanks for that.

@wallstreettrader..sure. I did my BA in political science from a canadian university and worked for over three years with a leading real estate advisory (feasibilities for real estate projects in the middle east). Despite my work experience, I'm a bit skeptical of getting an offer!
Reply 154
Forgot to mention why I'm so skeptical..my undergrad gpa wasn't up to par:s
Original post by Oh4444
Forgot to mention why I'm so skeptical..my undergrad gpa wasn't up to par:s

With 3 years in a leading real estate advisory firm, you're in. Why do you want to do this course with the wealth of experience you have? Btw what was your GPA if you dont mind me asking
I wonder if they take into account the level and standing of the university from which you got a degree (they obviously favour people with work experience so I'm quite sure Oh4444 that you stand a very good chance!).
Reply 157
Hey I've been watching this thread for awhile now and I've also had an application pending for REF & PGR (both were fairly late applications). I wanted to add that my PGR application moved to BOGS today. While it's not exactly relevant to REF I asked the department about double applications and this was their response:

"The academic staff will be aware of the fact that you have applied for more than one course and as they have strict quota limits, this may have some bearing on any decision they make. If you were successful, you would only be made an offer for one course."

While my REF application is still under consideration I think it's safe to assume I will likely not be accepted to both at this point. Any of you share a similar story? I have also had an offer at a UCL for quite some time now which made this wait a lot easier. Either way best of luck to all of you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 158
Well I'm not sure it'll be so easy for me, or else I wouldn't be "on hold." my first choice is the REF and despite having work experience I felt my lack of finance background has held me back, which is why I applied. Plus after working for a while, I felt I wanted to go back to academia (as hard as it was leaving a good pay check!) I'm just sick of the wait! Status still under consideration on camsis.
Reply 159
Perhaps they're considering you first and foremost for REF before they make an offer, considering your work experience is more relevant to that program. I hope they make decisions for everyone soon as I'm sure many may require partial funding. I've had to deal with tier 4 student visa's in the past and it can take upwards of a month or more to process which could be difficult if you need to secure financial aid/loans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending