The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance

Anyone here with a firsthand account of the MPhil Real Estate Finance program? It's proving tough to get any information about it beyond just the program website. I know there are people who take this course, they just seem to be good at hiding...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rlscott
Anyone here with a firsthand account of the MPhil Real Estate Finance program? It's proving tough to get any information about it beyond just the program website. I know there are people who take this course, they just seem to be good at hiding...

You have an offer?
Reply 3
Original post by LSEfreak
You have an offer?

Not yet, still under consideration by the department after completing my application before New Years and getting all the supporting materials in by Jan. 11. I have offers from Cornell (school of hotel administration, real estate concentration) and Reading (MSc Real Estate) that only have a one month period to make a decision and am just trying to get a feel for the Cambridge program. Also still waiting to hear back from Columbia MSRED. I'll probably put the deposit down on one of those, but was just hoping to hear from someone who's been in the Mphil program. I've explored about everything their website has to offer but haven't really been able to find any reports from students who are currently enrolled or completed it in the past. I'm hoping to come out and work in international development. Any info. you have would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 4
I have applied to this program. Unfortunately, for the most part my info comes from their website, too.
As far as I can say Cambridge is certainly better than Reading. The only relevant ranking I could find is Land and Property Management:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Land+%26+Property+Management
You can see that graduate prospects for Cambridge are significantly higher than for Reading.

Some people repeatedly question rankings, but it gives you some information.

Cornell I am not so sure about, overall Cornell is a good school, but Cambridge is Cambridge, even in the States Cambridge degree will probably mean more than Cornell.

If any actual students from the program will be kind enough to leave feedback it would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
That's pretty much what I'm thinking so far. Obviously the Cambridge brand name is the best out of all of them, and I would expect the course to reflect that ranking. While I've heard great things about the Real Estate program at Reading, Cambridge's name will hold much more weight, especially in the US. While employers in the UK seem to give much more acknowledgment to a great department in a mid-grade university (and rightfully so), that tends to not be the case for most US employers who see the University name first. There just seems to be a good bit more info. about Reading's program than Cambridge's out there. But at this point, I'm leaning towards Cornell over Reading, and waiting on a Cambridge decision.

Cornell is in the top tier of real estate programs in the US (probably a bit behind MIT education wise, but comparable to Columbia and USC from what I can gather) and their school of hotel administration is generally regarded as the best in the world, so I would attend there in hopes of getting into hotel development afterwards. Still, Cambridge is Cambridge. It's unlikely that I'll be able to visit to explore the program a bit further, though so that's why I'm hoping to get some input.
Reply 6
Original post by janjanmmm
I have applied to this program.

Any news on your side? I applied in late November and am still waiting
Reply 7
Original post by shawnhojh

My last reference was only submitted on the Jan 12, so it is a bit too early for me, I guess. The only development so far was that the status changed from "awaiting consideration by the department" to "under consideration by the department" around Jan 15-16, which seem to be rather quick given that some people are complaining that they are still in "awaiting consideration" status since October!
Did you have any status change so far?
Reply 8
Original post by janjanmmm
My last reference was only submitted on the Jan 12, so it is a bit too early for me, I guess. The only development so far was that the status changed from "awaiting consideration by the department" to "under consideration by the department" around Jan 15-16, which seem to be rather quick given that some people are complaining that they are still in "awaiting consideration" status since October!
Did you have any status change so far?

It seems to depend on the course and department from what i've gleamed from friends. Some people seem to be almost forgotten in the application process, definitely one of the lucky ones to see a change so soon!
Reply 9
Hi

(new user here!)

I am also apply to this Cambridge course and am sitting on offers at Reading (Real Estate Msc), Oxford Brookes and Southbank. Like you they need a deposit from me after a month.

I am now 'under consideration from department' having submitted my final reference on the 26th Jan. So I'm grateful that the first stage moved pretty quickly! Only problem is do you think they will come to a conclusion on applications sent in around now before the end of Feb or not?
Also do you have any idea of appicants per place to this course in particular?

Im stuck between Reading and Cambridge, like you said Cambridge does have a great name and international reps....but over here I'm getting the impression that Reading has the best quality of tuition and industry links...I may be wrong!
Reply 10
Original post by upN
Only problem is do you think they will come to a conclusion on applications sent in around now before the end of Feb or not?
Also do you have any idea of appicants per place to this course in particular?

Im stuck between Reading and Cambridge, like you said Cambridge does have a great name and international reps....but over here I'm getting the impression that Reading has the best quality of tuition and industry links...I may be wrong!

You want conclusion by the end of February? And you completed on Jan 26?

I am tempted to say "zero chance", but I suppose there is some chance, although very close to zero.
Given average waiting time people seem to experience and complexity of Cambridge application process, I'd say you should not expect answer before mid-March at the earliest, most likely April. Just being realistic here.

As for applicants per place:
Here is the stats:

2009-10 263 Applications, 35.4 % offers 20.2 % admission
2008-9 250 applications 46.0 % offers 27.6 % admissions
2007-8 195 applications 37.4 % offers, 23.1 % admisssions

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/gpref.html

With average of around 40% of applications resulting in offers I would say it is reasonably competitive, but nothing crazy, basically 2 out of every 5 applicants get offer.
Reply 11
Original post by rlscott

Hey i see they ask for a SoP as well as the box which allows u to enter ur reasons for taking the course. I was wondering, if there were any differences in this, or am i supposed to just copy and paste things...thanks
Reply 12
Original post by upN

I'm not sure where you are from, but I'm guessing somewhere outside of the UK. As an international applicant (US), I got in touch with the program head for the MSc program at Reading which actually helped me to decide to go to Cornell over Reading, although if Cambridge offers, I'm certainly going to give that a large amount of consideration. Based on my dialogue with Reading, it seems like the program has a great design to it and does well with its graduates finding work soon after the program ends, however, it definitely seemed to be more geared toward UK citizens and those from countries where the quality of most universities might be behind those in the UK (ie, certain nations in Southeast Asia, China). He informed me that finding a position in the UK afterwards is highly unlikely, so it seems to me that in terms of job prospects, I'm better off going somewhere in the US and selling the Cornell name and using the connections there, that people here know, over Reading, which is largely unheard of in the US. However, if I were in Thailand, for example, I think a degree from Reading would look much better than anything you would find over there, save maybe Hong Kong University or National University of Singapore. Hopefully that doesn't come off as too arrogant sounding, as that's not my intention, just stating my belief that I can get as good or better an education and have better job prospects upon graduation in the US than I could at Reading. However, the program director did mention that US students at Reading had found jobs upon their returns to the States, but it was mostly through their own connections as opposed to the school's. Cambridge is a different story though, as a top five or ten university worldwide, it will certainly get the recognition it deserves, wherever you are.

Just to note, to me Reading seemed like the best real estate degree that Europe has to offer with the exception of Cambridge, and may actually be better due to it's networking capability/proximity to London. I definitely don't want to sell the program short, as it definitely comes off as first rate. It's just not as well known in the US.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, as you'll truly have to decide what works best for you. I just felt the best route for me was to stay in the US.
Reply 13
Hey i see they ask for a SoP as well as the box which allows u to enter ur reasons for taking the course. I was wondering, if there were any differences in this, or am i supposed to just copy and paste things...thanks

There are two different responses you have to write. You fill out the box for specific reasons for taking the course, and then after you submit your application, you will be given access to a document upload center where you upload a separate statement of purpose. From the course website in regards to the statement of purpose it is "An outline of your interests and rationale for wishing to take this course (one or two pages). This is in addition to information provided on the application form." I know it seems redundant, but they should be different, mainly in the fact that the Statement of Purpose can be a bit longer and a bit more in depth.
Reply 14
Original post by rlscott
There are two different responses you have to write. You fill out the box for specific reasons for taking the course, and then after you submit your application, you will be given access to a document upload center where you upload a separate statement of purpose. From the course website in regards to the statement of purpose it is "An outline of your interests and rationale for wishing to take this course (one or two pages). This is in addition to information provided on the application form." I know it seems redundant, but they should be different, mainly in the fact that the Statement of Purpose can be a bit longer and a bit more in depth.

Wow ok...thanks...just wondering how long did you write? So in the SoP, there is no need to include extra-curriculars etc...?
Reply 15

You should not copy paste, they actually tell you NOT to copy paste.
However, since everything you have to say is in SoP, I simply put a few lines into the box which very briefly repeat the main points developed fully in SoP itself.
Reply 16
Original post by rlscott
I'm not sure where you are from, but I'm guessing somewhere outside of the UK. As an international applicant (US), I got in touch with the program head for the MSc program at Reading which actually helped me to decide to go to Cornell over Reading, although if Cambridge offers, I'm certainly going to give that a large amount of consideration. Based on my dialogue with Reading, it seems like the program has a great design to it and does well with its graduates finding work soon after the program ends, however, it definitely seemed to be more geared toward UK citizens and those from countries where the quality of most universities might be behind those in the UK (ie, certain nations in Southeast Asia, China). He informed me that finding a position in the UK afterwards is highly unlikely, so it seems to me that in terms of job prospects, I'm better off going somewhere in the US and selling the Cornell name and using the connections there, that people here know, over Reading, which is largely unheard of in the US. However, if I were in Thailand, for example, I think a degree from Reading would look much better than anything you would find over there, save maybe Hong Kong University or National University of Singapore. Hopefully that doesn't come off as too arrogant sounding, as that's not my intention, just stating my belief that I can get as good or better an education and have better job prospects upon graduation in the US than I could at Reading. However, the program director did mention that US students at Reading had found jobs upon their returns to the States, but it was mostly through their own connections as opposed to the school's. Cambridge is a different story though, as a top five or ten university worldwide, it will certainly get the recognition it deserves, wherever you are.

Just to note, to me Reading seemed like the best real estate degree that Europe has to offer with the exception of Cambridge, and may actually be better due to it's networking capability/proximity to London. I definitely don't want to sell the program short, as it definitely comes off as first rate. It's just not as well known in the US.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, as you'll truly have to decide what works best for you. I just felt the best route for me was to stay in the US.

I agree with that 100%.
I am also in the US, and I did not even look at Reading. I looked at Cass, but decided that it is still not well enough known, and given that real estate is not the booming area of finance right now, it does not seem to give you good prospects unless you do it in Cambridge.
Reply 17
Wow ok...thanks...just wondering how long did you write? So in the SoP, there is no need to include extra-curriculars etc...?

I wrote somewhere in between 1-2 pages. I don't have the file in front of me as it's on my personal computer, not my work one, but I would recommend writing as much as you can in 2 pages, without restating things over and over. Be clear and concise, not redundant. As far as extra-curriculars go, I wouldn't put anything in about playing sports, etc., but if you are involved in something related to real estate and can show how it is helping you to reach your future goals, I don't think it would hurt. The chess club is certainly not going to help you get into a real estate program, but being part of the Urban Land Institute or something of that nature certainly won't hurt you. Just be sure to make the main focus of your essay related to your goals and why and how you want to achieve them.
Reply 18
Original post by rlscott
I wrote somewhere in between 1-2 pages. I don't have the file in front of me as it's on my personal computer, not my work one, but I would recommend writing as much as you can in 2 pages, without restating things over and over. Be clear and concise, not redundant. As far as extra-curriculars go, I wouldn't put anything in about playing sports, etc., but if you are involved in something related to real estate and can show how it is helping you to reach your future goals, I don't think it would hurt. The chess club is certainly not going to help you get into a real estate program, but being part of the Urban Land Institute or something of that nature certainly won't hurt you. Just be sure to make the main focus of your essay related to your goals and why and how you want to achieve them.

Alright thanks for your kind help!

I just submitted my application. What happens now? Just wait for the app status to change?
Original post by shawnhojh

I applied in mid October and submitted all relevant docs within days. In mid January my application status went from 'under department consideration' to "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies" Status: The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved.

I am not familiar with the process so can't provide any credible insight into what happens next. That said, my feeling is the next stage (perhaps conditional offer) will be within 2 weeks.

thoughts?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending