The Student Room Group

Is it pathetic that I can't get over some bullying that happened over 4 years ago?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
OK, thanks. I'm really nervous to make an appointment though as I am really shy and not good at talking to people about these problems of mine :frown:

exactly the same. Are you still at Uni if you are you could always go and see if the uni provides a mentor or coucellor?

I can't honestly say I've been bullied properly although I have been the result of constant whispering and staring.

It really was annoying back in my old school when girls were just being bitchy. If I answered a question wrong there would be s*******, if I tried to join a conversation I would get looked at strangely or be told rudely to go away. Plus I remember I dreaded music as this girl would constantly watch me and make comments with her friends and then just laugh in my face.

Kinda irritated me when I got facebook that she friend requested me and then decided to act all nice and stuff. Seriously.

Now I don't have anyone and she came to the same college as me. She's clearly changed but I haven't. ;/.. wish I could just show them what I could have been given the chance but no still feel the same, still feel afraid ;//.

anyway it's not pathetic.. don't know what else to say.. but good luck in getting confident :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by laurakate1988
it isn't pathetic at all.

bullying and the school environment in general can affect people well into their adult lives and this makes sense because you go to school during your most formative years and as a result, you can end up with your head feeling confused, angry, sad, anxious in later life because of it.

for what it's worth i left school at 18 to go to uni and from about 19 through to 23 i have had on and off counselling for the past 4 years. this has made a massive difference.

i think a lot of the difficulty can be in trying to forgive yourself for not standing up for yourself and believing the **** that other people can put in your head at that age. i have always struggled with self esteem and there are grey days where i still get really pissed off about how school played a fairly sizeable part in this.

so no, you're not pathetic at all in how you feel. i would say that your feelings are a very normal reaction to an unpleasant experience. it can take years to get over a substantial ammount of bullying.

i strongly recommend some counselliing. i think the best thing you can do is not be mad at yourself for feeling how you are because you're gonna feel what you're gonna feel and then hopefully, counselling will help you to work with that.

best of luck to you! :smile:

This actually totally makes sense. I never thought to think of it in that way.

Thank you for your kind reply and sharing your story :smile:. I'm too much of a nervous procrastinator, but I will try to go get some counselling.
Reply 22
exactly the same. Are you still at Uni if you are you could always go and see if the uni provides a mentor or coucellor?

I can't honestly say I've been bullied properly although I have been the result of constant whispering and staring.

It really was annoying back in my old school when girls were just being bitchy. If I answered a question wrong there would be s*******, if I tried to join a conversation I would get looked at strangely or be told rudely to go away. Plus I remember I dreaded music as this girl would constantly watch me and make comments with her friends and then just laugh in my face.

Kinda irritated me when I got facebook that she friend requested me and then decided to act all nice and stuff. Seriously.

Now I don't have anyone and she came to the same college as me. She's clearly changed but I haven't. ;/.. wish I could just show them what I could have been given the chance but no still feel the same, still feel afraid ;//.

anyway it's not pathetic.. don't know what else to say.. but good luck in getting confident :smile:

No I'm not in uni right now. Bad grades and loss of passion unfortunately stopped it form happening. I do know of a free counselling service in my area though that I could go to. If only I finally had the balls to, that is.

Thanks for the reply. So annoying having these awful people in the world to ruin things for others, isn't it? Urgh.
No I'm not in uni right now. Bad grades and loss of passion unfortunately stopped it form happening. I do know of a free counselling service in my area though that I could go to. If only I finally had the balls to, that is.

Thanks for the reply. So annoying having these awful people in the world to ruin things for others, isn't it? Urgh.

when i first went to counselling i was probably close to feeling at rock bottom...just remember that once you've done the hard part of requesting the help you need, things can get brighter from there :smile:

(talking about things in counselling can be emotionally draining but in the long run, it's well worth it!)
Reply 24
It's not pathetic.

It sounds like you've had a pretty rough time. I'd reccomend making some guy friends, and asking some out on a date (realize that them saying no could be due to over a 100 other reasons than something to do with you specifically). Once you've gone out with someone a few times, you'll probably get over it quickly.

The bullies are certainly not right, they were just trying to get rid of their own insecurities by aiming them at you and thinking that picking on you somehow made them more popular. That means that they have no reason to have been right.

Also from a logical perspective, they're not right. People are don't fall into two categories (those who can date vs those who can not). That would never work, as people in the second category would just start dating with each other. Thus they are wrong.
(I don't believe people fall into 2 categories though, as attraction is in the eye of the beholder. That means there is no sliding scale in terms of attractiveness, and you'll appear much more attractive to some people than others).

It is probably best to live and forget though.
I'm a female and I'd always been bullied or isolated in one way or another through most of my childhood for all sorts of different things. I've actually gotten over most of the bullying now, but there's a particular type of bullying that happened 4-5 years ago. It was when I was 15/16 years old, a few people were picking on me for being rejected by a guy I liked and saying that it was pathetic of me to try because I was apparently too unattractive to date. They were always saying it behind my back though instead of to my face, but I still heard it and it still hurt. I just didn't understand why they were thinking like that and saying that. Why was it so wrong of me to want a relationship, yet it was perfectly fine for other people? Am I meant to be forever unhappy and alone then? :sad:

To make things a bit worse, the main ringleader of the bitching was a girl who actually used to be nice to me, but suddenly turned on after this small incident with this guy. And I still really don't even know what I did to her in the first place to make her start this. She herself was dating at the time (had been since early teens) and even claimed to be bisexual, so you'd think she'd be even less likely to be stupidly discriminative like this :rolleyes:. And other people ganged in and joined in the bitching with her, including another particular guy who I (ashamedly) used to fancy in the past (before that time), and it made me realise that he really must have been joking about his flirting with me in the past.

The cherry on top is now that I'm 20 and left the school nearly 2 years ago and don't see these mean people anymore, but I still think about these things a lot and get very down about it. Especially because I still haven't been in a proper relationship before (even though I've always really wanted to be) and I hardly get chances to date, so it is quite upsetting not being able to prove those bullies wrong. It's like they were right or something, and I really can't stand it :banghead:

Is it pathetic that I'm not totally over this? Has anyone experienced something similar?

Ohh I can see where you are coming from. Those little experiences really do affect your self esteem in later life. I've never been 'bullied' but like many others, I've had a few personal insults and they don't just disappear. That's what's so infuriating, like you said, you are no less worthy of a boyfriend than anyone else, but those girls made you feel like that.

My sister used to be picked on for being overweight. She is now slim but she still has these issues with low self esteem. Like you, she has never had a boyfriend, but she is 22. And she is so pretty. But she just has these issues, and she finds it hard getting close to guys because the people who made her feel like **** at school were boys.

It's hard to give advice, but if you gain confidence in yourself, you'll learn to forget about them and forgive them.

And don't worry about not having a boyfriend at 20, a lot of relationships at 18-20 don't tend to last anyway (apart from a lucky few) and in your late 20s when people start to mature you'd find someone who is worthy. :smile:
Reply 26
No, as everyone else has said, its definitely not pathetic - at that age, you are shaping yourself into the adult you will become and any bad experieces (or good, for that matter) will stay with you. Its just the way things are.

I was bullied about a guy at that age too. And I'll be honest, I've still not forgotten what he did, and how what happened got out to rest of the year, and the particular people who used to say things the most. I'd like to think if everybody knew the truth, they wouldn't have teased me about it, but I'm not so sure. Basically, my point is, you are not alone in that. I haven't forgotten, and I think I'll struggle to ever fully forgive, but I don't think about it all the time anymore - it just comes up every now and then. I don't know for sure how thats happened, but I do think that if you feel counselling would help, go for it. I've always wanted to bottle things up, and I've never really talked about the whole thing - it doesn't seem to help me. But it may help you, so go for it :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by DD2
It's not pathetic.

It sounds like you've had a pretty rough time. I'd reccomend making some guy friends, and asking some out on a date (realize that them saying no could be due to over a 100 other reasons than something to do with you specifically). Once you've gone out with someone a few times, you'll probably get over it quickly.

The bullies are certainly not right, they were just trying to get rid of their own insecurities by aiming them at you and thinking that picking on you somehow made them more popular. That means that they have no reason to have been right.

Also from a logical perspective, they're not right. People are don't fall into two categories (those who can date vs those who can not). That would never work, as people in the second category would just start dating with each other. Thus they are wrong.
(I don't believe people fall into 2 categories though, as attraction is in the eye of the beholder. That means there is no sliding scale in terms of attractiveness, and you'll appear much more attractive to some people than others).

It is probably best to live and forget though.

I'm quite struggling to make friends with guys. The places I work and volunteer, I don't really meet guys my age, and I don't go to uni or college either.

I did actually go on a date last year with a guy I'd met online, which was a little glimmer of hope in my life, but that ended up not working because of long distance :frown:. I'm just really fed up with all the constant disappointments.
Reply 28
Don't worry about it, these things happen.

Just get on with it, carry on being yourself, when you do that, it all goes away, the bullies aren't there now, as far as i'm concerned, none of them are my friends, any who decide to talk to me, fine, but they aren't getting any favours, if they're getting beaten up, i'm gonna just walk on. They're just a bunch of losers to me anyway, a couple are in prison anyway. Why should you care, do you think they care? Even if they did care, let them hold onto the guilt. Just be yourself and it gets better.
Reply 29
No, it's not pathetic. Different people take longer to cope with things that may have affected them negatively. Often people bully because they feel insecure and wish to reassert their authority, if you like, in an obnoxious way. When I was teased and bullied a number of years ago, the girls had very little going for themselves. At the time people would say that they may be jealous, and reviewing them now it is amusing that they've made very little out of their lives (we're only 17/18, but they've failed to get to sixth form and are taking mediocre college courses :teehee:). Anyway, that's irrelevant. However, my point is that sometimes you can pick out positive things from a negative situation and build your character.

As for never having a boyfriend, who cares? I haven't had one either and it used to make me question my looks, though you should work to please you, rather than a bunch of bitches. People develop differently and if you've never had a boyfriend, all it suggests is that you have not met the right person. When you meet genuine people they won't care! If anything, if people rush off and do silly things with the opposite sex, this could lessen their self-worth. My point here is that do not rush into doing certain things because it's the norm.

Finally, you do not have anything to prove to these girls! It would have meant that they've won if you are clearly upset by it all. You will never see these girls again and just work on making you happy. Whether that's by success in university if you're there or work. Remember, revenge is best served by you being happy and not being affected by what they've done.

It is easier said than done, but I've more or less followed what I've written above and it has worked. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Not at all, I've had bullying issues of my own that'll I'll never forget, they don't bother me now but the memories always remain. It's always just so nice to know they're all on council estates doing nothing and I'm going into teaching and having a real career
Reply 31
I'm quite struggling to make friends with guys. The places I work and volunteer, I don't really meet guys my age, and I don't go to uni or college either.

I did actually go on a date last year with a guy I'd met online, which was a little glimmer of hope in my life, but that ended up not working because of long distance :frown:. I'm just really fed up with all the constant disappointments.

That sucks. The standard answer is to join some societies/clubs, but if you're not part of uni I don't know if that's possible. I'd just start talking to randommers in a que, but you need both confidence and long ques for that.

That's probably my advice, to simply start making small talk with just about everyone you meet/sit next to on a bus/stand behind in a que (providing its long enough to have a few min of conversation). Maybe there are no nice guys around, and some people won't want to talk. But I still believe it is good practice (even from a general confidence building argument) and who knows, maybe you run into the same person 3 times, go do something together and she introduces you to het cute brother :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by DD2
That sucks. The standard answer is to join some societies/clubs, but if you're not part of uni I don't know if that's possible. I'd just start talking to randommers in a que, but you need both confidence and long ques for that.

That's probably my advice, to simply start making small talk with just about everyone you meet/sit next to on a bus/stand behind in a que (providing its long enough to have a few min of conversation). Maybe there are no nice guys around, and some people won't want to talk. But I still believe it is good practice (even from a general confidence building argument) and who knows, maybe you run into the same person 3 times, go do something together and she introduces you to het cute brother :tongue:

I would go to uni just for the social life, but I'm really crap at A Levels no matter how hard I try I just can't get the right grades and I end up feeling unpassionate about my subjects in the end. Plus the fees as well has to be worth it. I just wish there was a way of getting that same sort of experience and social life without going to uni?
Reply 33
Original post by skunky x
I still feel the same about my secondary school bullies. I don't think I could look them in the eye - I tried to force my parents to home school me because I was convinced that I was such an unattractive horrible person I would never be able to escape it. The weird thing was that I was bullied for being a fat lesbian and, I quote, a 'frigid whore'. I am a) underweight b)straight, and well, the last one just shows the intelligence of the people I was up against.

Anyway - the way I got over it to an extent is to just better myself. I am now a lot prettier (I was an ugly duckling and did the whole emo thing) and trust myself a lot more. Try and improve yourself - even if there is nothing wrong with you actually, if you have a skill or something that you'd like to take part in, then do it. You'll feel like you're improving yourself. I really threw myself into drama and performing and it was truly my lifeline during that time and after. Plus I made some amazing friends. Just have something you can be proud of.

this is so weird i went through the same thing.when i was 14/15 i had the worst acne of anyone ive known and very bad teeth. i now 18 and my skin is clear and my teeth are my favourite thing not to boast lol but i did have braces for 4 years.a boy i liked referred to me as the ugly one with greasy hair i think.anyway after he said that almost a year later i had forgiven him he really fell for me and as a player said he thought we could settle down whether or not he meant that part i dont know but still like you said up until this day i am always improving and almost like negative criticism if it gives me something to focus on.i also threw myself into what i enjoyed aswell and i think at the epicentre of the good grades and stuff iwork so hard to achieve is me being the ugly one with greasy hair just trying to improve myself.

so to whoever wrote this article i think you can take a lot from this because whenever i get compliments on anything appearance based those remarks and bullying (there were more that just him but i laugh when i see these ironically ugly people inside and out around today) are the ones to keep you grounded.

xxxxx:smile::tongue:
Reply 34
I would go to uni just for the social life, but I'm really crap at A Levels no matter how hard I try I just can't get the right grades and I end up feeling unpassionate about my subjects in the end. Plus the fees as well has to be worth it. I just wish there was a way of getting that same sort of experience and social life without going to uni?

Well I don't think many people are really passionate about their subject (I'm not), but still make themselves do it. You could probably just talk yourself into clubs/societies which seem interesting from a university nearby (no-one really cares if you attend the uni apart from some of the uni staff), though there's more to uni life than the societies/clubs (although if you make friends who are all in the same uni, I guess it could become pretty similar).
It think it's important to add here that being in a relationship shouldn't be something to aspire to as a means of making you feel better. I have been in relationships where I've felt good about myself and in relationships where I feel bad about myself. At the end of the day, it comes down to how you feel about you and wanting a boyfriend as a means of validating yourself won't necessarily help you in the long run. That said, though, go on dates etc for fun because there's no harm in that.

I think working on yourself will help more than anything because once YOU approve of you, whether someone else does (or not) won't matter so much and mentally, that's a very empowering place to be :smile:

I went to uni for the social and it served me very well :smile:

How about college? It's a good way to meet a wider range of people from all walks of life. You could do A levels, BTECs, NVQs..wow! just loads of things. Also you might find that mixing with more mature students would be a good experience so many an evening course that would lead to a qualification would be good?

I'd say that at this stage, if you're not sure what to do just have a go at something that interests you whether that be having a go at a particular job or college course. You're still young so it's a good time to explore what might interest you.
Reply 37
Original post by EffieFlowers
Ohh I can see where you are coming from. Those little experiences really do affect your self esteem in later life. I've never been 'bullied' but like many others, I've had a few personal insults and they don't just disappear. That's what's so infuriating, like you said, you are no less worthy of a boyfriend than anyone else, but those girls made you feel like that.

My sister used to be picked on for being overweight. She is now slim but she still has these issues with low self esteem. Like you, she has never had a boyfriend, but she is 22. And she is so pretty. But she just has these issues, and she finds it hard getting close to guys because the people who made her feel like **** at school were boys.

It's hard to give advice, but if you gain confidence in yourself, you'll learn to forget about them and forgive them.

And don't worry about not having a boyfriend at 20, a lot of relationships at 18-20 don't tend to last anyway (apart from a lucky few) and in your late 20s when people start to mature you'd find someone who is worthy. :smile:

Original post by IB_19
No, it's not pathetic. Different people take longer to cope with things that may have affected them negatively. Often people bully because they feel insecure and wish to reassert their authority, if you like, in an obnoxious way. When I was teased and bullied a number of years ago, the girls had very little going for themselves. At the time people would say that they may be jealous, and reviewing them now it is amusing that they've made very little out of their lives (we're only 17/18, but they've failed to get to sixth form and are taking mediocre college courses :teehee:). Anyway, that's irrelevant. However, my point is that sometimes you can pick out positive things from a negative situation and build your character.

As for never having a boyfriend, who cares? I haven't had one either and it used to make me question my looks, though you should work to please you, rather than a bunch of bitches. People develop differently and if you've never had a boyfriend, all it suggests is that you have not met the right person. When you meet genuine people they won't care! If anything, if people rush off and do silly things with the opposite sex, this could lessen their self-worth. My point here is that do not rush into doing certain things because it's the norm.

Finally, you do not have anything to prove to these girls! It would have meant that they've won if you are clearly upset by it all. You will never see these girls again and just work on making you happy. Whether that's by success in university if you're there or work. Remember, revenge is best served by you being happy and not being affected by what they've done.

It is easier said than done, but I've more or less followed what I've written above and it has worked. :smile:

It think it's important to add here that being in a relationship shouldn't be something to aspire to as a means of making you feel better. I have been in relationships where I've felt good about myself and in relationships where I feel bad about myself. At the end of the day, it comes down to how you feel about you and wanting a boyfriend as a means of validating yourself won't necessarily help you in the long run. That said, though, go on dates etc for fun because there's no harm in that.

I think working on yourself will help more than anything because once YOU approve of you, whether someone else does (or not) won't matter so much and mentally, that's a very empowering place to be :smile:

True, you're all right. But I feel like having some decent dating experience in my teens and early twenties would have helped prepare me better for more meaningful relationships in my adult life. Now I feel like I'm going to get to mid twenties still frigid and inexperienced :sigh:

This may be bad but I can find it hard to approve of myself if other people don't. It's like, what the point of living in this world yet you're always left unhappy and alone?
Reply 38
Original post by jam277
Don't worry about it, these things happen.

Just get on with it, carry on being yourself, when you do that, it all goes away, the bullies aren't there now, as far as i'm concerned, none of them are my friends, any who decide to talk to me, fine, but they aren't getting any favours, if they're getting beaten up, i'm gonna just walk on. They're just a bunch of losers to me anyway, a couple are in prison anyway. Why should you care, do you think they care? Even if they did care, let them hold onto the guilt. Just be yourself and it gets better.

You're right, they probably don't care. Which makes me feel a bit pathetic for even caring in the first place, but it's hard to shake off.

I went to uni for the social and it served me very well :smile:

How about college? It's a good way to meet a wider range of people from all walks of life. You could do A levels, BTECs, NVQs..wow! just loads of things. Also you might find that mixing with more mature students would be a good experience so many an evening course that would lead to a qualification would be good?

I'd say that at this stage, if you're not sure what to do just have a go at something that interests you whether that be having a go at a particular job or college course. You're still young so it's a good time to explore what might interest you.

I already went to college for a year last year. It was OK, but I didn't meet anyone to date, especially since my class was an all-girls class as well (lucky me :rolleyes:). I may go back again, I'm just not sure what I'd want to study though.
True, you're all right. But I feel like having some decent dating experience in my teens and early twenties would have helped prepare me better for more meaningful relationships in my adult life. Now I feel like I'm going to get to mid twenties still frigid and inexperienced :sigh:

This may be bad but I can find it hard to approve of myself if other people don't. It's like, what the point of living in this world yet you're always left unhappy and alone?

I wasn't in a relationship until I was 19 (very nearly 20). It didn't do me any harm...if anything, getting out there and dating etc a bit later did me a lot of good because I was more enthusiastic, mature and confident and it gave me some great experiences as a result (and some not so great ones too....the dating game is always a bit of a mixed bag).

I found internet dating to be an interesting way of meeting people. Also, common interest web forums have made me some friends for life.

Approving of yourself first is the most important thing, otherwise you'll take peoples critisms just as seriously as you take their compliments and this isn't a good thing because it could make you vulnerable to people who might want to manipulate that and it won't give you that deep set, foundational sense of self esteem that you sound like you want.

Wishing you all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest