The Student Room Group

Learning to drive: cost and duration?

Hello everybody.

I recently received some money and I'm considering using it to get my driver's license. I only intend to get my license, not buy a car or get on the road any time soon, I feel at my age I probably should have my license now.

How much roughly would I be looking at for lessons and tests assuming I pass both the theory and practical first time? And how many lessons would I need? Would it even be worth doing my lessons now (I have a lot of free time) even though I don't intend to buy a car?

I've just been reading some of the other threads and I think one or two lessons a week would suit me best so assuming it's a good idea, how long would it take to pass my test based on that? I'm aware it's different for each individual but generally I'm a fast learner and pick things up quite quickly.

Scroll to see replies

It took me three months to pass my test having 2/3 x one hour lessons a week. Depends where you live but i paid 22 pounds per hour which an okay amount but these do add up. You'll probs need about 25 hours more maybe more if your not practising in your own car.
Reply 2
It cost me 3k+ and took 18 months :colondollar: I passed my theory first time and my practical second time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes! Definitely learn to drive now, then when you want a car you don't have to worry about learning!

As for costs it depends on your location and how quickly you pick it up, but if you have 50 lessons, each about £20 each, you are looking at £1,000 for lessons alone. Theory tests are £31, practical is £62, so that is £93. Also you will want a lesson just before your practical. I would budget £1500 just in case of extra lessons, tests, etc.

For length of time to pass, also depends on learning style. But based on 50 lessons, two lessons a week, well that is about 6 months!

I am still learning, second time round, have been taking weekly lessons from June at £20 a lesson. First time round I learnt for 11 months, again, once a week. Took my theory in September. Don't even want to know how much I have spent on learning!
(edited 12 years ago)
40 x £20 lessons
£100 for practical test and lesson beforehand
Under £100 for the theory test and any software you'll need to buy to use it.
You have to pay for your provisional as well but I can't remember how much it costs.
50 lessons seems quite a lot actually, I was under the impression around 20-30 was average.

Original post by Kim-x
It cost me 3k+ and took 18 months :colondollar: I passed my theory first time and my practical second time.

Three grand seems a lot. :eek:

I had hoped it could be done for around £500, is that out of the window now then? I could afford to spend considerably more but I'd rather do it as cheaply as I can as I'm a bit tight with money. :tongue:

Also can anyone tell me how to upload an avatar on here?
Original post by Wilfred Little
50 lessons seems quite a lot actually, I was under the impression around 20-30 was average.

I had hoped it could be done for around £500, is that out of the window now then? I could afford to spend considerably more but I'd rather do it as cheaply as I can as I'm a bit tight with money. :tongue:

Well we don't know you, and can't predict the future. Not everything goes as planned. If you are a fast learner then 20-30 lessons may be enough, but in reality, a lot of people have a lot more lessons than that. I have had about 60 lessons, I think over my time learning. But nearly 40 of them were spent wasted with my last instructor.
Im learning now but going back to uni in a few months, im doing it mainly because I have the money to do so (whereas I doubt I would for the next few years when at uni) and so I can say that I can actually drive. I doubt ill get more then a months experience of driving on my own after I pass and I probably wont get my car until im about 21 (18 months time) and even then insurance is a whole new issue.

Its not cheap thats for sure, im hoping to have done about 20/25 lessons before I take my test at £20 each, the theory is £31 and the practical is £62 and call it £10 for all your books/software for the theory and practical tests. Id say youre looking at anywhere between about £700 and £1000 but no one knows how long it will take you, you might only need about 20 lessons but you might need 60; I know people who had a 1 hour lesson a week for about a year before they took their test but then I know people who've had just 20 hours and then they took their test and passed.
Original post by Summer_Lovin
Well we don't know you, and can't predict the future. Not everything goes as planned. If you are a fast learner then 20-30 lessons may be enough, but in reality, a lot of people have a lot more lessons than that. I have had about 60 lessons, I think over my time learning. But nearly 40 of them were spent wasted with my last instructor.

I see.

How much roughly would you say you've spent on lessons?

Edit - Never mind just re-read your first post, I assume it's a lot!
I see.

How much roughly would you say you've spent on lessons?

Edit - Never mind just re-read your first post, I assume it's a lot!

Actually, just worked it out. £1200 on lessons, which isn't too bad, considering I am hoping to take my test soon. Hopefully I should be in the £1500 budget :biggrin:

I just want it over with now tbf.
Reply 10
Original post by IamBeowulf
40 x £20 lessons
You have to pay for your provisional as well but I can't remember how much it costs.

It's £50 for a provisional licence.
Original post by IamBeowulf
40 x £20 lessons

Pretty realistic I would say. I have my first test in 4 weeks. By this time I will have had 30 lessons. My examiner said an average is 40 hours of lessons/driving, but I was also insured a month at a time on my mum's car so got a fair bit of practice in. Passed my theory first time, fingers crossed for the practical.

So far it has cost
30 lessons = £594 (£22 each or £198 for block of 10)
Provisional Licence = £50
Theory Test = £31
Practical Test = £62
2 x hours lesson for before and during practical test = £44
4 x months Marmalade Provision Insurance on mum's car = £360
magnetic L Plates = £1.00 :smile:
Highway Code book/DVD = free (shared between all my mates, I didn't buy it but the CD was invaluable)

and if I fail....................even more!

Total to first test £1,142 :eek::eek::eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12

50 hours is an average quoted by the DSA, but in practice a lot of teenagers have around 30 hours (just not me!) 3k is what happens when you're not so fortunate with finding decent instructors and put up with it for longer than you should. It's closer to £25 per hour lesson these days. If you have a car that you have access to for practice, see if you can find an instructor that is willing to teach you in your car. This is what I did when I was with my final instructor. It was £15 an hour.
Reply 13
I have so far had 24 lessons and my instructor has said I'm nearly test ready XD got my theory test next week and here is my cost so far but also the cost overall if I paid it all myself (Thank goodness for two parents both working full time =P)

Lessons = 24
(First 5 for £55) (2x 10 block = £175, 2 lessons left in current 10 block)
License = £50
Theory Test = £31

Total So Far = £486

Total I've Paid = 15 Lessons = £257.50
To take both tests (including paying for the instructor's car) it would cost about £150, so £500 is a bit optimistic. I took 30 lessons (each 1 1/2 hrs), so my approx cost was £900 in total (£25 per lesson, not including license)
Reply 15
Less than you will spend on a car and less than the amount of time you will save by driving, respectively.
Reply 16
Hello everybody.

I recently received some money and I'm considering using it to get my driver's license. I only intend to get my license, not buy a car or get on the road any time soon, I feel at my age I probably should have my license now.

How much roughly would I be looking at for lessons and tests assuming I pass both the theory and practical first time? And how many lessons would I need? Would it even be worth doing my lessons now (I have a lot of free time) even though I don't intend to buy a car?

I've just been reading some of the other threads and I think one or two lessons a week would suit me best so assuming it's a good idea, how long would it take to pass my test based on that? I'm aware it's different for each individual but generally I'm a fast learner and pick things up quite quickly.

It cost me around 500 including test for practical and theory but I didn't do that many lessons. I did about 23-25 lessons including the 2 hours for practical and passed all tests first time but the driving was split over as I took a one year gap due to uni / lazyness. So you can do it in 500 but you have to be a fast learner which your instructor will know and an understanding with them that you need to be ready in that amount as some may just milk you.

I got special deals on my lessons. First set around 10 I got with the AA think the first few worked out to be around 10 then it was 20 something per lesson. 2nd set was like 15 quid an hour for the first 10 with a private instructor thankfully I didn't need to carry on as I passed. Get a good instructor you like, who challenges you and you will hopefully do well.
Reply 17
Took me 10 lessons at £22 = £220
Insurance for the period practicing in my mum's car = around £200
Both tests = £100

So about £520 for me, hope that helped!
Reply 18
I paid £600 for 23 hours of lessons, the use of the car during my practical, and both tests.

Passed both first time, so should give you an idea :smile:

How have you got on so far? :smile:

I spent around £500 - excluding my provisional [as I bought that 5 years ago].

£360 - Over approx 4 months [with a gap in the middle of nearly 4 weeks] I had 20 hours of lessons. [Block bookings of 10 for £180 a time.]

Approx. £45 - Theory test [that was nearly two years ago].

£62 - Practical test.

I didn't have any private practise [I don't have access to a car up here]. But, I did have a great instructor - otherwise I might have needed more lessons than I had. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending