The Student Room Group

Probabilities & Statistics 1 - OCR (not MEI) - jan 25th 2012 discussion

Hey guys, just thought id open this up for the exam on wednesday

has anyone come across any difficult questions in particular that they feel would be useful to know about on wednesday.

In addition, Q9iii) of jan 2010

Use the formula for the sum to infinity of a geometric series to show

P(R=S)=p/2-p

i found out how to do this but would like to know the main trick, how do i find what my 'a' is and what my 'r' is from the original :

Stoinfinity=a/1-r

r=q^2 and a=p^2 according to the mark scheme

thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
erm i learnt this a few days ago so im not perfect with it. But if you have a recuring line like with q9 on jan 10 ( p^2+(q^2p^2)+(p^2q^4 ect))
the a is the first value in the sequence so here, it is p^2 (p squared). the r in the equation is the common value( i think its called that), this is just how much the sequence increases by each time, so here it is multiplied by q squared. from there its just re-arranging till you get the answer.
Remember number sequences from primary? a= first value and r= how much it increases by each time.

thats pretty much it i think. anyone else taking this exam?
Reply 2
yeah, are you's retaking it? Hope to get a nice grade in this to make up for the shambles of C3.
Reply 3
no this is my first a level exam. im not a big fan of s1 but im feeling ok about it i think
Reply 4
...what are the conidtions for a geometric distribution?
Reply 5
Andrea practises shots at goal.For each shot the probability of her scoring is (2/5).
Each shot is independent of other shots.
(i) find probability that she scores her first goal on her 5th shot.

Can anybody help? :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Ree69
...what are the conidtions for a geometric distribution?

Independent
Failure and Success
Reply 7
Original post by zaraxai
Independent
Failure and Success

Cheers :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by zaraxai
Andrea practises shots at goal.For each shot the probability of her scoring is (2/5).
Each shot is independent of other shots.
(i) find probability that she scores her first goal on her 5th shot.

Can anybody help? :frown:

Its geometric, (assuming she doesn't get better with practice) so X ~ Geo (2/5)

P(1st goal on 5th shot) = four misses, then a goal = (3/5)^4 x (2/5) = 0.052
Reply 9
how did the exam go everyone? does anyone know where someone may have posted thier answers?
i think it could have been alot worse what about you? erm i havent seen any other threads about this exam so im not sure
Reply 11
I didin't do that well, couldn't do the very last part of the last question and realised i got a question wrong: i said the spearmans rank would stay the same (0.75) but just realised that is wrong
I thought it would stay the same...
Reply 13
I put the spearmans rank would increase...
Original post by Matthew692692
I thought it would stay the same...

wouldnt it increase? d and everything remains the same but n(n-1) increases..

Anyone get about 0.412 for the being more red flowers than blue?

what were peoples answers for the last questions? 8 and 9

was there only 2 ways of getting 28 (9,8,7,4) and (9,8,6,5) so it was something like 48/3024 ?

also did anyone get 5/14 for something towards the end (8 or 9)?
Reply 15
Original post by MoneyOverEverythin

was there only 2 ways of getting 28 (9,8,7,4) and (9,8,6,5) so it was something like 48/3024 ?

I got the same for all of these. (48/3024 simplifies down to 1/63 - an easier way to do this was just 2/9C4.)

Calculating the Spearman's rank was 1/2. And I think the height of the bar on the histogram was 2/3cm?
Reply 16
For the question where you had to match the Geo and Bio distributions to the graphs did anyone get V and Y respectively?
Reply 17
Original post by ben1994
For the question where you had to match the Geo and Bio distributions to the graphs did anyone get V and Y respectively?

Indeed.
Reply 18

I got 5/14 for something, can't really remember what, and I also got 0.5 for spearman's rank. The value of spearman's rank increases so it is greater than 0.75 because the judges rank the last participant equally, so 6 (sigma d squared) is the same, but as there is one more person n increases by one, this means that the fraction is smaller, 1- a smaller fraction will create a larger fraction
Reply 19

Yup, well 0.416 I think.

P(more red flowers than blue) = P(X11)2=12(1P(X=11))=12(1(22C11×0.522))=0.416 \frac{P(X\neq 11)}{2} = \frac{1}{2} (1 - P(X=11)) = \frac{1}{2} (1 -(^{22}\mathrm{C}_{11} \times 0.5^{22})) = 0.416

Although I'm not sure if I can remember a 5/14. Something out of 14 does seem familiar. I may have written the decimal equivalent :s-smilie:.

Oh yeah. 0.357 is familiar. I got it as the answer to the first part of the last question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending