The Student Room Group

Probabilities & Statistics 1 - OCR (not MEI) - jan 25th 2012 discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HypErTwisT
also what did u guys get for caclulating the regression line around the middle. i got summit like y= 0.7...x + 78...

i think my answer was fairly wrong though :/

The b value was definitely negative because PMCC was negative, which probably means that your a value is wrong :frown:
Reply 41
Someone pleaaaaaase post up paper/their answers
Did anyone else think the spacing for the questions were reaaaaally weird. Like the one for writing the conditions for geometric distribution was really small, and then the calculating distribution ones were really big??
also what did u guys get for caclulating the regression line around the middle. i got summit like y= 0.7...x + 78...

i think my answer was fairly wrong though :/

I got something like that, and that r=-0.9...
Original post by MrsNorthman
Did anyone else think the spacing for the questions were reaaaaally weird. Like the one for writing the conditions for geometric distribution was really small, and then the calculating distribution ones were really big??

Yeah the binomial conditions question was like 4 marks and had like 4 lines :/
Reply 45
Original post by MoneyOverEverythin

bi: picking 3 or more odds: 5/14 i think but i remember being pretty certain on whatever answer i did get.

bii: adds up to 28.. 2 ways so 1/63

Can u explain both of these - ie formula +steps
Reply 46
Original post by c_subs
Can u explain both of these - ie formula +steps

bii. There's only 2 ways to make 28 from 4 of the numbers.

X (9 + 8 + 7 + 4) and
Y (9 + 8 + 6 + 5)

the probability of choosing the X combination is (1/9 x 1/8 x 1/7 x 1/6) which = 1/3024. But there are 4! ways of doing this, as you can pick each number in any order, so its 4! x (1/3024) = 24/3024.

likewise, the probability of choosing the Y combination is exactly the same = 24/3024.

therefore total probability = these two added = 48/3024 which simplifies to 1/63.
Original post by Playingwell
The b value was definitely negative because PMCC was negative, which probably means that your a value is wrong :frown:

agh, my mistake, i got a negative. I think i got -0.7 ish
agh, my mistake, i got a negative. I think i got -0.7 ish

That sounds right to me then :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Tukazoar
bii. There's only 2 ways to make 28 from 4 of the numbers.

X (9 + 8 + 7 + 4) and
Y (9 + 8 + 6 + 5)

the probability of choosing the X combination is (1/9 x 1/8 x 1/7 x 1/6) which = 1/3024. But there are 4! ways of doing this, as you can pick each number in any order, so its 4! x (1/3024) = 24/3024.

likewise, the probability of choosing the Y combination is exactly the same = 24/3024.

therefore total probability = these two added = 48/3024 which simplifies to 1/63.

adn what formula did u use for X/Y combination? meaning- how did u get 1/9 x 1/8 x....etc..what's the formula?
Reply 50
Original post by MoneyOverEverythin

bi: picking 3 or more odds: 5/14 i think but i remember being pretty certain on whatever answer i did get.

nd how did u get this again? formula?
give me a minute for bi..

bii: there were 2 ways of getting 28 with 1,2,3...9. These are 9,8,7,4 and 9,8,6,5. So there are 4! ways of getting each of these so 24x2=48 and there are 3024 ways of picking 4 from 9 (worked out in the first bit of question) so 48/3024 is 1/63
Reply 52
Original post by c_subs
adn what formula did u use for X/Y combination? meaning- how did u get 1/9 x 1/8 x....etc..what's the formula?

If you pick one card you have one less left than before.
i.e. you start with 9, pick one, you're left with 8, and so on...

it's not a formula, it's common sense
Reply 53
Original post by c_subs
can you explain why Geo has the graph of V.

Because in Geometric distribution, the first frequency is always the highest and this then decreases. Like, if you keeps multiplying by a decimal the number is going to get smaller and smaller. Thats why its V.
Reply 54
For the last part of question 8 you just had to take P(B=R) (your previous answer) off 1. Then divide by 2.
Because the only possibilities are, that they are the same number, more red or more blue, and because p=0.5 the latter two are equally likely.

Question 9 you had to do P(X=3) and P(X=4). P(X=4) was just 5/9 x 4/8 x 3/7 x 2/6 = 120/3024. P(X=3) was 3 odds and 1 even so 5/9 x 4/8 x 3/7 x 4/6 x 4C3 (because the even can be in 4 places) = 960/3024
960+120=1080/ 1080/3024 = 0.357 or 5/14.

However I'm not sure on the graph questions... I put V and Y but I'm not sure about V anymore..?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Was X the independent value ?
for q 2 ?
for the fequency density one where you had to find out height of the bar, what did it mean by each unit is 2 cm? What was one unit? a single square or as in each unit on the x axis (so 10 of the single squares)

This was so badly worded :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by N1994
Was X the independent value ?
for q 2 ?

yea
Reply 58
Original post by ben1994
Because in Geometric distribution, the first frequency is always the highest and this then decreases. Like, if you keeps multiplying by a decimal the number is going to get smaller and smaller. Thats why its V.

u mean the frequecy decreases, because the probability of getting 'p' is decreasing?
For bi:

i just worked out the way of getting 3odds only out of the 4, which was 5/63 x 4 because u can do it 4 ways (4C3). then you work out odds of getting exactly 4 odds so (5/9)x(4/8)x(3/7)x(2/6) then whatever that is add 20/63 and boom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending