The Student Room Group

UK Chemistry Olympiad

Is anyone doing this? It's done internally from the 30th of January, I think. Has anyone started preparing? I would start but I have maths exams to prepare for.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing it but haven't prepared as of yet.

Was in fact looking for some tips (i'm year 12 btw)
I'm doing this - I think I'm doing the exam early in February. I'm not really sure what to do to revise other than doing past paper questions off the RSC website.
Reply 3
How did people find the paper?
Reply 4
im not sure when im doing it lol might be doing it next year as my teacher said it would be easier if i did it at A2
Reply 5
Original post by hss123
I'm doing it next week. Can you post any tips please? :smile:

Learn all of your chemistry syllabus! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Only for year 12?
It's for year 12 and 13. Did it this afternoon. Opens paper, looks at the questions. My first response was Oh dear, Why didnt I put my lucky socks on?' Wasn't actually that bad, once you got started.
Original post by Zhy
How did people find the paper?

I just did it. The last question was okay but some of it was just plain weird. A few of my friends just gave up half way through and doodled on the side of the questions paper for the rest of the time.

Original post by Freiheit
Only for year 12?

Anyone currently doing A levels - be them AS or A2s - can do it.
Original post by BlueDuck
I just did it. The last question was okay but some of it was just plain weird. A few of my friends just gave up half way through and doodled on the side of the questions paper for the rest of the time.

Anyone currently doing A levels - be them AS or A2s - can do it.

The last question was lovely. Was pretty much the only question all 3 of us answered.
Original post by .snowflake.
The last question was lovely. Was pretty much the only question all 3 of us answered.

Same here. I completely forgot how to do some of Q1 though. Question 3 was just weird.
Reply 11

Is it going to be impossible if you're in year 12?
Original post by oli_G

It'll be harder than if you were in year 13 but I don't think it's impossible. You just have to know how to apply the knowledge you already have to a different context.
Original post by oli_G

Have you done any of the A2 spec? If not, you'll struggle with a lot of it. There are past papers on the RSC website that you can have a look at.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BlueDuck
Same here. I completely forgot how to do some of Q1 though. Question 3 was just weird.

Same. Question 3 was actually quite hard!!
Reply 15
Ive got the olympiad tomorrow can some one please help me with any questions:smile:
Original post by ozzyk1994
Ive got the olympiad tomorrow can some one please help me with any questions:smile:

Personally I think it's not really something you can prepare for. Just read through the A level syllabus. Good luck!
Original post by ozzyk1994

Guys, don't give him detailed help, it's not fair on us who've sat it with no help.
Reply 18
Thanks
Reply 19
Grade boundary predictions?

Where are the boundaries for the previous years??

Quick Reply

Latest